WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Victoria The Captain? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807778)

volfo 06-13-2017 10:25 AM

Victoria The Captain?

Thinking about picking one of these up (last year's model). Any thoughts? I have a victoria Factor PCX that I like, but I'm about 200 pounds and if I don't put extra ballast in the boat, I sometimes have a harder time than I'd like keeping it going. Looking for something a little bigger with more float.

I tried a Phase 5 Trident a few years ago and liked it, and this looks like a similar shape. Is it too much like the Factor or will it have a little different feel?

wakemitch 06-13-2017 3:44 PM

It's very different than the Factor. The captain is much wider which makes it more stable/less responsive rail to rail than the Factor. It is designed for larger riders and smaller waves. The Factor is a performance shape. The captain sounds like the shape you're looking for. It's similar to the trident, but easier to maneuver and quicker.

markj 06-13-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volfo (Post 1960998)
Thinking about picking one of these up (last year's model). Any thoughts? I have a victoria Factor PCX that I like, but I'm about 200 pounds and if I don't put extra ballast in the boat, I sometimes have a harder time than I'd like keeping it going. Looking for something a little bigger with more float.

I tried a Phase 5 Trident a few years ago and liked it, and this looks like a similar shape. Is it too much like the Factor or will it have a little different feel?

I assume the Factor PCX you've been riding is a large right?

volfo 06-14-2017 7:37 AM

Thanks Mitch. Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2012 MB B52 23 foot widebody. I don't have any extra ballast plumbed in, and if I fill a 400 pound sac in the back locker I can surf about anything, but with just the stock under floor tank, the Factor PCX is a struggle to do anything other than cruise. So I want another board for a different feel and to try something different and that will be easier when I don't want to fill a bag.

The Factor PCX is a large. I think I'm right on the edge of it. My weight fluctuates from about 185 to 200. 185 - 192 or so it is great. Get up around 195-200 and it is a little undersized unless I add more ballast. I'm going to order a large Captain, I think with the wider board it will be perfect.

markj 06-15-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volfo (Post 1961061)
Thanks Mitch. Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2012 MB B52 23 foot widebody. I don't have any extra ballast plumbed in, and if I fill a 400 pound sac in the back locker I can surf about anything, but with just the stock under floor tank, the Factor PCX is a struggle to do anything other than cruise. So I want another board for a different feel and to try something different and that will be easier when I don't want to fill a bag.

The Factor PCX is a large. I think I'm right on the edge of it. My weight fluctuates from about 185 to 200. 185 - 192 or so it is great. Get up around 195-200 and it is a little undersized unless I add more ballast. I'm going to order a large Captain, I think with the wider board it will be perfect.

Wow. Your weight fluctuation and your experience with the PCX is exactly like mine. Right now, I'm about 190 and the large PCX is perfect. Soon as I gain just a few pounds, I gotta switch to the new XL PCX that I ordered this year that has a longer, thinner shape.

volfo 06-15-2017 9:15 AM

Good incentive to hit the treadmill and lay off the IPAs!!!

markj 06-15-2017 10:01 AM

^^^Ha! Exactly!

volfo 06-19-2017 9:57 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7d8f533bfa.jpg

The Large Captain next to a large factor pcx. The captain did have a lot more push yet was still fun to ride. Came very close to my first 360 on it on my first ride, without any extra ballast other than two kids sitting on surf side.