WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   '92 Brendella having a hard time (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782550)

flydenrict 08-09-2010 8:50 PM

'92 Brendella having a hard time

Leading up to tonight my boat (1992 direct drive ski brendella--turquoise with pink accents) had been getting bogged down a little. It was usually one of three problems: weeds in the intake, moisture in the tank/fuel line, or too much weight/ unknown but that always fixed it. None of these remedies were working on it. So i added a little more fuel stabilizer to it and hoped it would "work its way out." (Again, i know this is not technical or probably correct, but it happened). Still not getting any better.

We take our sets. Great sets; I hit a TS BS 3, and my two roommates/ridings dudes are riding away from heel threes without the handle. We take everything down and head home. i wasn't wide open throttle, but I was moving. Probably around 25-30 MPH. We hear a sort of bad snap/pop from the engine and I stop going. We figure it was alternator belt or the other belt right up front. Nope, those are good. I try idling home cautiously--we don't move. Engine still on, chilling in neutral, prop won't engage. i shut it off and check if the prop is there and it is. My neighbor tows me in.

How much money did I just cost myself? What caused it? The only thing I could think of is that I haven't been tending to the oil as I should have. It was full at beginning of season, but not topped off I don't think. Engine never over-heated, do boats have some sort of regulator that wouldn't let it overheat? This can't be good.

jmanolinsky 08-10-2010 3:12 AM

The first thing I would check is the forward/reverse cable. Open the engine cover and see if it goes into gear when you move the throttle lever.

882001 08-10-2010 5:18 AM

motor was running but wont go is trans or damper plate

flydenrict 08-10-2010 5:35 AM

The engine will rev when I move the throttle, so I dont think its that cable. How serious are these problems? The transmission sounds like a new boat, and Im not sure what a damper plate is. thanks for the help

jmanolinsky 08-10-2010 6:23 AM

Jeff,

There is a cable that controls the gas and a separate cable that controls the forward/reverse gearing. They are both connected to the throttle shifter handle. Open the engine cover and look at the transmission. there should be a cable that is connected to it. Have someone move the throttle from neutral to forward and then reverse while you watch the linkage on the transmission. It should move one direction for forward and the opposite for reverse. This is just the first simple thing you should look at. It is probably something more serious, but look at this and eliminate it as the problem before you start getting quotes on transmission work.

Hope this helps,

Jman

flydenrict 08-10-2010 7:38 AM

Yeah Jman, absolutely it helps. I'll see whats going on tonight or tomorrow night, also call my mechanic today.