WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Used Sanger, Tige, Centurion, Supreme? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808169)

WillyFire 09-18-2017 7:06 PM

Used Sanger, Tige, Centurion, Supreme?

Hi. Hope this is the right place to ask for some inputs. I have been looking for a used affordable v-drive for 30K (Canadian) for awhile and right now have a few options but have been finidng it very tough to stay at 30k. Will be used as a multipurpose boat with usually 3 adults and 3 kids sometimes up to 10-11 family but only 3 or 4 times a year. Have never surfed but this is the reason for us switching. All boats are in similar condition and of course a prepurchase inspection and water test will be done.
-06 Sanger V215 - 350 hours 30k (Is rough water and freeboard going to be a issue)
(has everyting we need to get going right away surf boards and ballasts)
-06 Tige 22ve 160hrs 33k
(no ballasts or boards)
-08 Supreme v220 400 hours 30k
(ballasts)

Also a 06 Centurion Lightning but its in pretty rough shape 500ish hours for 24-25k

No boat is within 5 hours of me unfortunately. Any thoughts they all need a few things here and there but nothing major that Im aware of.

onetogofast 09-18-2017 7:22 PM

I don't know much on the supreme. Those year Sanger or Tige are good. I'd go Tige for free board.

prorider17 09-19-2017 3:30 AM

I own a 2005 Lightning C4. It's a fantastic boat that puts out a great surf wave. Not sure how great of shape the one you're looking at is, or whether it's a C4 or not, but they're great boats. The Elite-V is basically its twin. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have for that model.

WillyFire 09-19-2017 5:29 AM

It is the c4. Mechanically it's good from what I can tell but the gel coat is pretty scratched up and seats are a little rough. Plus it doesn't have a few things we need like cover, Bimini, perfect pass.

jarrod 09-19-2017 7:06 AM

From that list I would go with the Sanger 215. I witnessed it's reliability up through 1000 hours of running very heavy. Never heard a single person regret that decision. It Surfs well if you're into that, but also has a great wakeboarding wake.

I've less experience with the others you mentioned, but enough to know I wouldn't buy a used one. The older Tige's and Centurions were both rattle traps.

WillyFire 09-19-2017 7:29 AM

Does Anyone here with a v215 that has experience in rough water compared to a similar boat with higher freeboard have any thoughts? The Sanger boat has everything I need to launch and go but from a few people I've talked to the day I'll be unhappy with the freeboard. Really that's the only negative reason I've got. We do go out and need to cruise home thru white caps each season so this is my only concern.

TomH 09-19-2017 7:57 AM

The Sanger's handle rough water better than most with their v-hulls. Yes, the free-board is a little less than other brands, but the 215 also isn't V210 low. Keeping water out of the boat is primarily about how you drive it, and I've never had a problem keeping a Sanger dry. Keep the bow up when you need to, and it will roll white caps just fine. You mention it will be a multi-purpose boat. Beyond the surfing you mentioned, what else do you plan to use it for? If there's any skiing involved, I'd give the nod to the Sanger for that as well, but if it's primarily boarding and surfing, any of the ones you have listed will do just fine.

WillyFire 09-19-2017 8:11 AM

I have never surfed but would love to get into it. I wakeboard but we put on 100+ hours this year on our I/o and I only found time to use my wakeboard twice plus with a bad knee I'm not really interested in wakeboarding much. I did slalom almost each time we were out doing water sports. I'm not great but enjoy it. Like I say it will be a multi purpose boat but the kids use up most of the watersports time my oldest boy (6) will be ready to learn to surf he loves Skiing. Tubing will also be done a lot with the kids.

WillyFire 09-19-2017 8:23 AM

Out of all the boats the Sanger has the biggest engine. 6.2 black scorpion I'm not sure it's needed but would be a upgrade price originally

denverd1 09-19-2017 8:58 AM

sanger all day. Best rough water ride out them. best quality. surfs GREAT for a 21' foot boat. the freeboard thing only bothers people who don't have experience with them. rock solid boats. great wake too.

I put 3000 lbs in my v230 and teach newb driver how to handle dodging your own rollers in about 30 seconds. scorpion engines are Mercs but very reliable and an upgrade, although most boats got black scorpions.

add in the ballast and boards and Sanger is also best value. i'd say best resale as well. I wouldn't even drive the other 2.

migs 09-19-2017 9:04 AM

Sanger

Reddog78 09-19-2017 9:51 AM

Sangdog

WillyFire 09-19-2017 11:16 AM

Thanks. I was really leaning towards the tige but this had made me think about the Sanger more. For the Sanger guys is there any options I should be asking the owner if it has doesn't have that I might not be aware of. Owner has sent me a few videos and has been the best out of any seller that I have had to deal with so far so I'm comfortable with him as a seller.

ralph 09-19-2017 11:40 AM

The V215 is a great package, does everything very well. Low freeboard isn't an issue

denverd1 09-19-2017 12:05 PM

Perfect pass should be standard
sound systems were basic but easily upgraded
check on ballast setup. wake series should have 2 aft tanks and 1 bag in belly

WillyFire 09-19-2017 12:33 PM

Ya it's the wake series. Has 3 ballasts and he has 2 extra ballasts added for each rear corner. A 06 centurion avalanche showed up today. Price is good.

denverd1 09-19-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyFire (Post 1967548)
Ya it's the wake series. Has 3 ballasts and he has 2 extra ballasts added for each rear corner.

I'd pull the trigger

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyFire (Post 1967548)
Price is good.

No. Garbage is never good, no matter how low the price. Also centurions aren't garbage, but that one is.

larry1167 09-19-2017 12:44 PM

That V215 sounds pretty nice with the 6.2 and extra bags. Are the extra bags plumbed in? If so that thing is ready to go. I have v210 and love it. Slalom ski and wakeboard primarily. Rough water ride is great. Sangers are solid boats. Took mine to Tahoe this summer and it performed great. Would have got the v215 if I had a little more room in my garage. If it has the wake plate even better.

tampawake 09-19-2017 12:56 PM

Go over to Tige owners and ask about the 22ve. My guess is it will surf better than all these except maybe the centurion. If I am you and I am not. I would buy the biggest boat that will fit the most people. I believe the 06 Tige is very solid. Again get some info over there. Use that.

rallyart 09-19-2017 1:50 PM

My Sanger '06 215 has over 500 hours on it now and has never had a storm on Shuswap Lake that it could not handle. Rough water ride is not a problem. Low freeboard might be an issue if you lose power and are in a major storm but other than that it is fine. The Sanger is quite a bit lighter than the Tige and when I looked at both in 2006 I felt the 215 was a better product. My wife tells me there is no way we are ever selling ours.

CALIV210 09-19-2017 2:32 PM

Sanger ..My cousin just bought a V215 last summer they love it and I drove it a few times as well as my friends Centurion elite C4 and the Sanger feels much better handles chop better and feels a lot more solid Sanger has a race boat lineage and you can tell when you drive them . Hell my little V210 that could even handles the chop better then the Centurion .

humboldt9 09-19-2017 3:35 PM

Sanger hands down... 10yr V210 owner without a glitch (knock on wood) and never had problem with low freeboard. If I were to upgrade it would be to the V215 or the new 212. For the price and value you can't touch the quality of a Sanger.

WillyFire 09-19-2017 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampawake (Post 1967552)
Go over to Tige owners and ask about the 22ve. My guess is it will surf better than all these except maybe the centurion. If I am you and I am not. I would buy the biggest boat that will fit the most people. I believe the 06 Tige is very solid. Again get some info over there. Use that.

Actually have a great guy and fellow Canadian helping me out who I meet from Tige forums. Actually can't say enough about how much he has helped. Not only about the 22ve but every boat I've asked him about. (:

WillyFire 09-19-2017 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallyart (Post 1967556)
My Sanger '06 215 has over 500 hours on it now and has never had a storm on Shuswap Lake that it could not handle. Rough water ride is not a problem. Low freeboard might be an issue if you lose power and are in a major storm but other than that it is fine. The Sanger is quite a bit lighter than the Tige and when I looked at both in 2006 I felt the 215 was a better product. My wife tells me there is no way we are ever selling ours.

Good to hear. But also hear the same thing from Tige owners. We spend about a month on Shuswap and okanagan. This summer a big storm rolled in fast on okanagan.

denverd1 09-20-2017 7:43 AM

you seem set on driving both, that's fine. we've all kinda been there, done that and have found what works for us.

So when you do, you gotta give both boats the double up test. Set Perfect pass to 20 mph. Get it up to speed, drive a straight line for at least 150 yards. Turn in either direction (notice the handling of the boat when turning at speed, one feels like a sports car, the other... something else). Now cross your own wake as close to perpendicular as you can. One boat will sounds like you dropped a tackle box, the other will be rock solid. Take your pick

I'd put a deposit down on the Sanger so a more motivated buyer doesn't snatch out from under you. Maybe both if you're still undecided.

WillyFire 09-20-2017 7:51 AM

My plan is to try to see the tige and Sanger 8hour drive this weekend. Sanger is a couple hours further the same way so the tige will be my 1st stop.

WillyFire 09-20-2017 8:33 AM

All those with a Sanger 215. What is the seating capacity? Anyone have pics with a lot of people in one?

jarrod 09-20-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyFire (Post 1967585)
All those with a Sanger 215. What is the seating capacity? Anyone have pics with a lot of people in one?

I don;t have pictures, but the boat is set up with a small bow so that the main cabin of the 21.5 boat feels more like a 22.5 boat. Main cabin is medium size.

WillyFire 09-20-2017 2:28 PM

Thanks. Does anyone have the 6.2? I haven't found much info on it as far as fuel consumption compared to the 5.7 and what other pros/cons it would have.

CALIV210 09-20-2017 2:33 PM

No pics but we've had 5 adults and 7 kids in my cousins V215 with no issues at all . I cant comment on the 6.2 but the scorpion engine seems more then adequate and he does well on fuel .. not as good as my little 210though :D

rallyart 09-20-2017 6:33 PM

Fuel consumption will not be any different with the 6.2 or the 5.7 unless you are going at top speed. The rest of the time the load on the boat is the same at the same speed and so you use the same horsepower and same fuel to get that horsepower. Coming out of the hole at full throttle can use a little less fuel with the more powerful engine as it takes a little less time. There are very few times I use full throttle towing anyone so there is no practical difference there either.

WillyFire 09-21-2017 6:05 AM

Thanks for the answers everyone.

CALIV210 09-21-2017 6:25 AM

Good luck with your search I hope what ever you decide on provides many summers of fun !!!

denverd1 09-21-2017 8:04 AM

solid engine. my 5.7 sips fuel. regulary get 2-3 4/5 hour days with a full tank. running 3200 lbs. tank is 50 gal on 230. 6.2 will have plenty of power and still good on fuel. reprop can help get you on plane quicker and hold speed better. 911 is the prop.

enjoy testing. post pics of what follows you home

RPM_DLX 09-25-2017 1:01 PM

I can't comment on the other brands other than I didn't like certain models from some. I own a 2005 Sanger V215 and I love this boat. It's hard to find fault in it. Freeboard hasn't been a issue. I have the 1100lb bags in each corner and the factory 500 under the center floor. I just have the standard 5.7 with a 911 prop and it pulls up just fine. As for seating capacity, there is no number rating onside the boat. A quote from Scott Pellaton from Sanger boats was that you should be fine as long as everyone is seated on the cushions. I have had 9 adults on mine and was just fine. You mentioned white caps for rough water handling. The Sanger is a solid boat and handles rough water impressively but no wakeboard boat that I can think of will cut though white caps smoothly. I do find that filling the center ballast up only makes the V215 smoother in rough water. I don't have much to compare to but it seems to surf very well. I would easily buy another Sanger. This is actually my second Sanger boat.

denverd1 09-29-2017 9:29 AM

well? what'd you do? too busy enjoying the boat to post

WillyFire 09-29-2017 7:58 PM

Would love to have a pic of me towing a boat home but No things have not worked out yet for me to get to view any yet. I do have all winter to find one also so not in a huge rush. Both are still available and I also now have the option of a 06 centurion avalanche c4 in that same area. If all were the same price the tige would be my 1st choice. Resale worries me on the Sanger they don't seem to be very well known. I do appreciate all the inpit here it's helped me a lot with my researching.

chpthril 09-30-2017 5:34 AM

With the age and price range of boats you are looking at, resale would be one of the last things on my list of concerns. What makes you feel the rate of depreciation is going to drastically change over the years of your ownership, as compared to the years prior to you buying it? Take the price you buy it and the price it was new, and there you go. You have your answers with in a percent or two, before buying.

CALIV210 09-30-2017 5:51 AM

You might be right about Sanger resale up in Canada if you were down here on the west coast you could sell it no problem . Every lake in California has a ton of Sangers on it . It really is Sanger country down here . Those C4's are nice and seem to be pretty well built my friend has one and its been a good boat . It doesnt handle rough water near as good as a Sanger though . Of the 4 brands you mentioned the only one I would never own is the Supreme every one I have ever worked on or been on is a POS .

infinitysurf 09-30-2017 6:22 AM

The deep V hull on Centurion handle rough water with the best of them, both the Tige and the C4 will both do well in rough water due to deep V hull...they will also both keep value well and surf really well when set up with correct ballast and suck gate or listed. The 22/24ve models that Tige made are favorites for a lot of people

WillyFire 09-30-2017 7:54 AM

Im not worried about getting the sale price I want on the sanger when ever the time is to upgrade. But when the time comes and it will im sure the sanger will get about 1/4 of the views or less then the tiges or centurions around here anyways so the sanger will just be that much tougher to sell. Ive read good things about the avalanche c4.

denverd1 10-02-2017 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitysurf (Post 1968330)
The deep V hull on Centurion handle rough water with the best of them, both the Tige and the C4 will both do well in rough water due to deep V hull...they will also both keep value well and surf really well when set up with correct ballast and suck gate or listed. The 22/24ve models that Tige made are favorites for a lot of people

Never been in a Sanger have you??