WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Carpet Replacement for Moomba LSV (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634)

newty 05-18-2011 8:20 AM

Carpet Replacement for Moomba LSV

9 Attachment(s)
For reference this is an 08' LSV.

I've been fairly unhappy with the quality of carpet in my boat since the second season. This year I decided to replace it.

I did some research and found that the 08" Moombas came stock with a 22oz cape,t and that there was a 32oz option. I contacted my dealer and ordered a 7.5' x 12' roll of the 32oz.

Here is how I did it.

Fairly easy if you are patient and take your time.

Fist thing I did was removefloor panels and the ski locker door and stripped the carpet from them.
Then used a very sharp razor to cut the carpet around the seat bases, then removed the carpet.

Next unscrewed I all the cast aluminum brackets that hold the seat bases to the floor. Then I pre measured and cut 2x4's. I raised the seat bases and dash up about 1/2" with a small floor jack. I held the bases up with the cut 2x4's

I made sure to check for the screws in the engine/locker dividers as they were attatched to both floor and upper deck.

I made sure to scrape all the glue and carpet left-overs off with a putty knife.

I used butcher paper to lay out the floor pattern in the boat, then laid it out on the garage floor to cut the carpet.
I made sure to cut the carpet 2-3" wider than the template just to make sure. When I got it into the boat and laid it out I used scissors to trim the carpet within an inch of the seat bases.

Next I pushed all the wrinkles out and used a big putty knife and jammed the carpet under the seat bases, checking for final fit.

newty 05-18-2011 8:27 AM

10 Attachment(s)
After verifiying I had the carpet cut correctly I pulled the carpet back one side at a time leaving the other side tucked under the seat bases (to keep everything from moving) and used 3M Hi tac 90 spray glue to glue down the carpet.

Note: the trick to using this stuff is patients. Spray both the surface of the carpet and the floor surface and wait....
Wait until both surfaces are less than tacky then stick it together. Do it right the first time because you only get one chance.

As I glued and stuck the carpet down I tucked it back under with the putty knife.

Once the one side is glued and tucked I went to the other side and glued from the middle out and tucked it all in.
Next I attacked the helm flooring. I glue small areas at a time and cut carefully along the existing carpet to make it blend.
Once the floor was done I felt around for the floor panels and made a cut approxamately 1 1/2" inside seam of the panel so I could remove them and wrap the carpet into the panel recess.
I removed the panels and glued the overlap in.

Quick note: When I did the floor locker panel I found that there is a grain to the carpet. Soooo... yea I had the grain backwards and it looked like different carpet, I ended up redoing it. Make sure if you do this you keep track of how the grain is oriented when you lay out your panels.

newty 05-18-2011 8:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the finished product! I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to keep the carpet looking new. Maybe one of those office pads that chairs roll on... ok maybe not. :D

Really this wasn't to bad of a job. realistically if I worked straight through it would have taken me 8-10 hrs.

Jeff 05-18-2011 8:40 AM

Nice! I've been wondering how to handle the carpet on mine since it looks like it was put in before the seat bases at the factory. Mine is 11 years old and is not soft at all plus I have an ATF stain near the transmission from a fluid change mishap.

jeff_mn 05-18-2011 8:50 AM

Nice work Newt..

Bud Light is gross though man.. Drink some real beer

chadgreg 05-18-2011 8:54 AM

Looks Awesome! This should be in the DIY Section for future reference...

kenteck 05-18-2011 8:59 AM

great job ryan.....

newty 05-18-2011 9:04 AM

Taste is in the eye of the beerholder:D

tyler97217 05-18-2011 10:46 AM

Newty.... Nice work man. You are getting pretty damn handy with this stuff. All that hard work and you are still wearing your shoes on it.... shame on you.
I will share a Bud Light with you anyday. Even a Busch Light would be better, but we know they are the same anyway.
I am taking Friday afternoon off and we will be on the Willamette downtown. You taking the boat out to show off the improvements?

newty 05-18-2011 11:02 AM

I'm hoping to get out with my buddy but my boat isn't doen yet. I have the stereo pulled apart again. I'm putting up some Exiles and throwing in a couple JL12 W6's this year. Need to build the boxes and get amps re-mounted.

Its a strange addiction, isn't it?:D

ian_ashton 05-18-2011 11:02 AM

As I said on the Moomba forum, looks great - you are my idol.

h2ohangtime 05-18-2011 11:18 AM

Wow, nice job! Makes me want to re-do mine now as well!

Riteride 05-18-2011 12:13 PM

Nice nice job... Now I am going to have to do mine cause I dont feel up to par with the rest of you.. Always working on other peoples boats never gives me any time for my own... Thanks for posting pics and giving me some inspiration...

moon 05-18-2011 1:49 PM

Looks good Newty!!! I've been wanting to do this on my boat as well.

Man, you pdx/ WA guys are already out on the water. I haven't even gotten my boat out of storage yet (gonna do it this weekend). Probably won't get out on the water until memorial weekend though.