WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fins or no fins? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802923)

07-31-2014 10:51 PM

Fins or no fins?

Me and my friend swapped boards. He rides finless and I ride with fins. Other than the obvious slippery feel on the water I didn't feel much of a huge difference. What do you guys prefer?

Kane 07-31-2014 11:14 PM

Finless, but then I ride cable for the most part.

Dissociative 08-01-2014 12:41 AM

Cable - finless, Boat - fins. :D

boardjnky4 08-01-2014 6:31 AM

fins behind boat, no fins at cable

I know someone that rides a slingshot with no fins behind the boat. man ****.

fly135 08-01-2014 6:35 AM

I've been riding my Jobe Conflict behind the boat with no fins.

99Bison 08-01-2014 6:59 AM

No fina

liquidmx 08-01-2014 7:34 AM

Finless behind boat and cable. But only for one main reason:
1 - my technique sucks and riding with fins seems to magnify my crappy technique vs. forcing me to cut more progressive, etc.

andy_nintzel 08-01-2014 7:41 AM

Fineless always, learn to use your edges not your fins.

parkerbomar 08-01-2014 11:18 AM

been riding finless all summer to progress better. also I am lazy and don't want to constantly screw and unscrew them.

hyperliquidliteforce 08-01-2014 2:23 PM

Finless, because the molded in fins on my board are big. I only ride boat too. It's really just preference. Although I agree it's important to learn your edges and not rely on fins.

solo 08-06-2014 9:47 AM

This is always a great question. I think it's mainly personal preference and I can see why people ride finless on cable. If you look at all the old greats in our sport, all of them used to rock a huge 2.0 or 2.5 fin. Byerly, Shapiro, Murray, Harf, Parks, Nelson, Schwenk, Necrasson even the Vandall. The list keeps going. I ride a larger fin in salt water than fresh water because salt water is more buoyant and it seems to help me get a better edge to the wake. A fin will help you achieve better technique. Most beginners and even intermediate riders I see riding finless are slipping out while edging toward the wake. They wonder why they can't get the right pop or land the trick they are working on. But fins aren't cool these days. So most people don't use them. In my opinion, riding finless without proper technique will slow your progression.

Just my $.02

Hahn

p/s go youtube a section from "Hit it" Looks like they have surf fins!

pipeboarder 08-06-2014 10:06 AM

i ride goofy and ride with no fins on the back and fins on the front. i'm not as stable riding switch (regular) so the fins help when i land switch or ride switch.

G

eubanks01 08-06-2014 11:14 AM

Depends on the fin configuraiton on the board and the application. Cable - no. Boat - yes.

If you have one center fin but outer molded fins, then going "finless" isn't as big of a deal as compared to a board with 2 outer fins and no bottom features on the board. That will ride a lot looser. Personal preference.