WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Time to buy some tower speakers (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789625)

mikeakatex5 08-16-2011 12:23 PM

Time to buy some tower speakers

Hey what do you know another tower speaker thread... lol. I'll try and keep it focused as opposed to just asking what every one recommends. I'm looking at wet sounds rev 8's or NVS speakers. I'm going to check both out, I think chucktronics carries both. I'm pretty familiar with wetsounds, but haven't heard the rev 8's yet. The thing I like about NVS speakers is the large drivers and low hang height. That's pretty important to me because my Axis A20's tower could make getting on and off the sun pad from the boat a headache with speakers hanging too low. I don't know much about the difference between the different NVS offerings. I heard CIE's boat with the 6 single driver speakers and that was impressive to say the least, but I wonder if they would have gone with dual drivers if it wasn't on a malibu tower. Well chime in with what you guys think.

david_e_m 08-16-2011 1:07 PM

Mike,
I really can't comment on the NVS because we don't carry it. So my comments are not as valid as someone who is a NVS dealer or owner.
But I can comment on the Wetsounds REV speakers. This is an entirely different sonic signature than the previous Wetsounds Pro speakers. So disregard any thing that you have heard in the past and judge the REV8s independently.
The REV8 has a 10.25" hang height as compared to the 13" hang height of the Pro80. That's a 2.75" reduction for an 8-inch model!!!
I would describe the sound of the REV8 as 'linear' (without peaks, valleys or a tilted response) and 'transparent' (very open with simply more detail and music coming through). You would expect a compression horn tweeter to convey detail but the midbass driver really reveals alot of information too. The pronounced horn sound is gone.

David
Earmark Marine

mikeakatex5 08-17-2011 4:28 PM

Thanks David, I've heard from a few people that the rev series wetsounds are in a league of their own, so I think thats the way I'm going to go. As far as the new clamps are concerned, do either of them affect the speaker hang height? Also, do they come off the tower quick and easy (something I really liked about exile speakers) so that I can keep them from walking off in the middle of the night?

david_e_m 08-17-2011 6:14 PM

Mike,
You'll be pleased to know that with the new Wetsounds REV models the hang height has been reduced considerably. The following are checks I made with the fixed collars. The swivel collars should be close.
Pro80 hang height...13" REV10 hang height...12" Bigger driver with 1" less H.H.
Pro60 hang height...11.5" REV8 hang height...10.25" Bigger driver with 1.25" less H.H. or same size 8" driver with 2.75" less H.H.
The new Wetsounds REV series collars will swivel or quick-disconnect with a single master bolt. A sleeve keeps the master bolt from backing out entirely when loosened. Very smart. The wiring is concealed within the center of the collar. So these collars do it all with as much ease and convenience as any other. You are really going to appreciate the design and engineering if these collars when you get a close-up.

David
Earmark Marine

05mobiuslsv 08-17-2011 9:27 PM

The clamps sound awesome, infact they sound almost identicle to the function of the exile/samson clamp.

david_e_m 08-18-2011 5:31 AM

Or you could say that the function is very similar to the original Taco Marine clamp that has been around forever and was utilized by JL Audio years ago. Taco Marine was the first to use a side thumb bolt that fit into a groove machined into the side of the collar post allowing for the swivel function. JL Audio added the wire up the center of the post and collar. Sampson added the 1/4-inch phone jack as a disconnect but certainly didn't invent a jack that has been used for decades upon decades. There is a reason why its called a 'phone jack'. Access Technology made a functional swivel collar a decade ago. I can't remember the last time I saw a fresh innovation...just copies and adaptions of previous designs. However, Wetsounds does get some credit for the industrial quality of their revisions.
In any case, Wetsounds has the exact functions that the OP is requesting.

David
Earmark Marine

05mobiuslsv 08-18-2011 5:50 AM

Lol.

brett33 08-18-2011 7:23 AM

David: Any news on the REV485's and when they will be out? Those are going to be so ridiculous!

david_e_m 08-18-2011 8:50 AM

Nauti,
The Pro485 will remain current for all of this year for sure and is still a favorite in the line. I wouldn't look for a REV410 model for example until next season but its all speculative until we actually see it. We have received nothing concrete. Just the clues that have been dropped by Tim on this site. But it makes sense that it would happen as well as several other new products that fit.

David
Earmark Marine

wetsounds1 08-18-2011 9:01 AM

Hi Mike,

Ryan at Chuck is top notch so you are in great hands and he can get a demo for everything and help you make the call.

As for the clamps, our new TC-3 swivel clamp is a patent pending design that offers the ability to spin and quick disconnect easily, all with the wiring integrated internally. It is the only clamp on the market that offers the ability to power the speaker and RGB LED's lighting all within the same connector. as there is a 6 pin option. The speaker weight is also held up buy our exclusive fork and bolt system that distributes the weight and allows you to rotate the speaker without having to hold the weight under it. The clamp itself is made from precision cast stainless steel. And it is a universal design for pipe towers and has the ability to separate a base plate for cast towers as well.

We have done all of this in less hang height from our old TC-2 clamp. As David pointed out, we were able to add all these features into the clamp and provide larger drivers too, all with less hang height.

Nauti. All i will say is the REV 8 and REV 10 are just the beginning. Lots of new stuff for next year, LOTS. We are coming to an end of season now for this summer.

Tim
Wet Sounds

getssum 08-18-2011 9:27 AM

Now an opinion from the other camp. I love my NVS speakers and I have the "older" entity 1010s. The midbass hit from these is awesome, and I love support that I can get from NVS. They may have almost zero marketing besides word of mouth, but IMHO they are a great tower speaker.

Please don't compare the REV8's to the NVS, the REV 10 would be a much better comparison. Remember that the NVS prodigy and tyrant have 10" drivers.

Just feed them plenty of power! I think NVS still has their bundle sale going on, with 2 of their prodigy series and 2 arc audio amps for 2200$ or so.
This is a great deal because the rev 10's start at 1149 with the standard clamp per pair. Multiply that by two, add amps and you're quickly approaching $3000!

Also, check out NVS's quick release mounts. Makes it more comfortable when you leave your boat out at night to know that your expensive tower speakers aren't getting all "dewey" or stolen.

bruizza 08-18-2011 12:39 PM

We have Rev 8s on our A22 tower and you can hit your head on them. I don't think there is a tower speaker on the market that you won't have to worry about hitting your head on with the Axis tower. Just the nature of the beast.

brett33 08-18-2011 12:59 PM

Tim and David: Thanks guys. Im Excited to say the least about seeing the new product!

Mike: Sorry for the thread jack. :D

tommyg 08-19-2011 7:25 AM

One thing that I did not consider when we bought our tower speakers, and I wish I did, is the weight and ease to disconnect.

Don't get me wrong, I love the quality of sound put out by the pair of 485's we have on our '02 SAN, but I didn't quite think through how darn heavy they are, and they are definitely not quick release (unless you consider 10 minutes or so to undo 8 allen screws quick release). It takes two of us to lower the tower with them on, and least for the Nauty there's a period where you practically have to stand on your toes, so to do it with close to 70 lbs of speakers on is a bit scary.

I know the first focus is always the quality of the sound/product, but for my next set of speakers, i'm definitely going to take into account weight and ease to disconnect as an important part of the equation...at least for those of us who have to lower the tower after every day at the lake...