WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   2016 F150 with Pro Trailer Backup Assist - it backs up the truck for you (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804640)

timmyb 05-21-2015 11:31 AM

2016 F150 with Pro Trailer Backup Assist - it backs up the truck for you

Pretty sweet for all of the spouses out there that dislike backing up the truck/trailer. My wife does it but she really doesn't really have the confidence that it takes to backup the trailer time after time.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-201...r-you-w-video/
Quote:

...Ford wants to simplify this matter for customers of its bestselling F-150, and so, for the 2016 model year, the company is rolling out Pro Trailer Backup Assist (PTBA). In the spirit of electric-power-steering systems that take over steering duties to help drivers park their cars, Ford’s new feature provides a hands-off solution to trailer reversing. In the case of PTBA, however, the driver lets go of the steering wheel and grabs a dashboard control knob labeled Trailer Backup.

bcrider 05-21-2015 12:55 PM

Kinda cool but c'mon it's not that hard.

chattwake 05-21-2015 1:14 PM

That's what she said.

hatepain 05-22-2015 6:26 AM

^^^Yes :)

theboy 05-22-2015 9:00 AM

Good idea hopefully it could make the ramp quicker for newbies

Orange 05-22-2015 10:24 AM

I hope it doesn't work too well and become too common. Watching husband and wife teams yell at each other on the ramp is a cheap source of entertainment for me.

05-29-2015 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange (Post 1911723)
I hope it doesn't work too well and become too common. Watching husband and wife teams yell at each other on the ramp is a cheap source of entertainment for me.

Bingo!!!

jonblarc7 05-29-2015 6:06 AM

It will be great we will get to watch stuff like this all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-oO3VKRMG4

Jmorlan 05-29-2015 6:24 AM

I just don't understand. Is it really that hard for people to learn to back up a trailer?

jonblarc7 05-29-2015 7:00 AM

I tired to teach my wife once in a empty parking lot and instead of having a fight, she just puts the boat on the trailer now LOL

timmyb 05-29-2015 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorlan (Post 1912117)
I just don't understand. Is it really that hard for people to learn to back up a trailer?

Have you tried to teach your wife/girlfriend/? to back up a trailer? Some people "get it" and some don't.

There's a Sr. Citizen lady that monitors the traffic flow in/out of the ramps at one of our public lakes and I have seen her run down the ramp on a busy weekend day to people that aren't doing it right and kicking them out because they are taking too much time and holding up the line of traffic. :D

boardjnky4 05-29-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonblarc7 (Post 1912118)
I tired to teach my wife once in a empty parking lot and instead of having a fight, she just puts the boat on the trailer now LOL

same. she didn't get it at all and I was horrible at teaching. She drives the boat just fine though so it works.

jonblarc7 05-29-2015 11:31 AM

The conversation goes!!!!!

Me: Now you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want the boat to go.

Her: What do you mean

Me: you have to start the truck in the opposite direction you want the boat to then once it starts going that way you have to straighten up the truck.

Her: WHAT!!!!!!

Me: just try it

Here we go backwards with the trailer turning slightly

Me: now turn it back before it gets going to far one way

Me: No turn it the other way

Me: No to far

Me: STOP before you hit the bumper

Her: why are you yelling

Me: I didn't even raise me voice (thinking I'm about to show you yelling)

Me: Lets try again

same thing different direction this time!!!!!

Her: stop yelling at me.

Me: okay let go home I'll back the trailer in

Her: why are you mad at me

Me: I'm not

It will ever be worth going through that again LOL

timmyb 05-29-2015 12:01 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!! That's exactly how it went for me too! My wife is pretty good at it now but she still lacks that confidence that is needed to just do it, she still has to think about it and make corrections and that's after doing this 50 to 100 times!

boardjnky4 05-29-2015 12:03 PM

hahahaha nailed it

Jmorlan 05-29-2015 1:04 PM

😂😂

Jmorlan 05-29-2015 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1912125)
Have you tried to teach your wife/girlfriend/? to back up a trailer? Some people "get it" and some don't.

There's a Sr. Citizen lady that monitors the traffic flow in/out of the ramps at one of our public lakes and I have seen her run down the ramp on a busy weekend day to people that aren't doing it right and kicking them out because they are taking too much time and holding up the line of traffic. :D

Tried. She puts the boat on the trailer now. Lol

TomH 05-29-2015 1:17 PM

"Why are you yelling at me" heard that one a bit when I was teaching my wife the intricacies of navigating the boat around docks..... 'No honey, I'm not yelling, that's my anxious voice when I think a boat/dock meeting is coming'

norcalbordr 05-31-2015 3:37 PM

Its got technology and stuff...

Redheadd 05-31-2015 5:20 PM

Best thread in a long time!

BaadLS1 05-31-2015 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonblarc7 (Post 1912144)
The conversation goes!!!!!

Me: Now you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want the boat to go.

Her: What do you mean

Me: you have to start the truck in the opposite direction you want the boat to then once it starts going that way you have to straighten up the truck.

Her: WHAT!!!!!!

Me: just try it

Here we go backwards with the trailer turning slightly

Me: now turn it back before it gets going to far one way

Me: No turn it the other way

Me: No to far

Me: STOP before you hit the bumper

Her: why are you yelling

Me: I didn't even raise me voice (thinking I'm about to show you yelling)

Me: Lets try again

same thing different direction this time!!!!!

Her: stop yelling at me.

Me: okay let go home I'll back the trailer in

Her: why are you mad at me

Me: I'm not

It will ever be worth going through that again LOL

I think this is exactly the conversation I had with my wife when teaching her how to back the boat down the ramp.