WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chick board help (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805482)

smcole82 09-09-2015 6:27 AM

Chick board help

I am new this summer to wakeboarding and have been learning on an obrien suspense 136. I am looking to get my own board. I am 110 lbs and 5 feet tall. I can carve and go in and out of the wake pretty well. I have much more learning to do and would love to be able to do tricks some day. What size/style board should I really be using?
Thanks for any adivce

Jmaxymek 09-09-2015 10:38 AM

Selina, consider picking up a Hyperlite Syn. It's got a continuous rocker that allows the board to pop consistently and edges to help keep the board quick. For now, you might like the removable center fin for stability then perhaps down the road ditch it and just roll with the molded outer fins. You can pick it up in a 132 which is more your size than a 136.

smcole82 09-09-2015 5:25 PM

Thank you so much for your advice. I am going to check that out. I recently came across a deal for a cwb lotus with hyperlite frequency bindings. Its a 130. Curious now what your thoughts would be on that set up.

nathanb 09-09-2015 5:31 PM

That package would suit you pretty well too. My wife is about 125 lbs and rides a 132. If the bindings fit you well you won't go wrong with that package

Kane 09-10-2015 6:39 AM

My fiance rides the Melissa 131cm, absolutely loves it.
She has progressed really fast on the board, way faster than I did when I was learning.
The full Melissa set up which she has is great but it would be much more expensive than the Lotus / Freq set up you mentioned above.

If you can demo any boards, that would be your best option.

CRS_mi 09-10-2015 6:49 AM

I have noticed that most newbs whether male or female benefit a lot from a locked in board. If they're on a loose riding board before they really understand edge control, they seem to really struggle. My wife just switched from a LF luna to the Hyperlite maiden and she loves it. That said, you should be in the low to mid 130's for size and other than that just pick a board that isn't advertised as a real loose board. All the other board details that you read about are really personal preference stuff that you don't really notice until you get a bit better. Hope that helps.

ryan_shima1 09-10-2015 10:15 AM

Selina, based on the description of your body specs, I would suggest going with a board in the 129-131cm range, otherwise, it may end up feeling too big.

Although it's not a "ladies" board, but you may want to give the OBrien CTP 129cm (Cory Teunissen's pro model).

My wife rides the OBrien Skyla 129cm (Dallas' former pro model), and is the same design as the Coda with just different graphics. She loves that board & bindings set up. It's fast, but has good control, and soft landings. The CTP is similar in shape, but with a different fin configuration. I'm planning to upgrade my wife to the CTP next season.

Best of luck on your search!

Cyberwarm 09-22-2015 9:33 AM

For 110 lbs and 5 feet tall I would recommend Slingshot Oli SS15 132. In SS16 line there is no 132 size, but this board is one of the most versatile boards out there.

09-24-2015 5:38 AM

I highly reccoment the Hyperlite prizm. It is actually the mens murray shape just sized and graphics for women. This board has a forgiving edge to it and great pop. Its actually a pro model board in the girls line for a non pro model price. If you are interested i can help. dearybury21@yahoo.com

Orange 09-29-2015 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcole82 (Post 1922032)
I am new this summer to wakeboarding and have been learning on an obrien suspense 136. I am looking to get my own board. I am 110 lbs and 5 feet tall. I can carve and go in and out of the wake pretty well. I have much more learning to do and would love to be able to do tricks some day. What size/style board should I really be using?
Thanks for any adivce

I have a pretty skilled girl that rides on my boat frequently that is about your same size. She has a hard time finding equipment that is advanced enough for her skill, but small enough for her weight. At 110 lbs you could go down as far as a 125cm board if you wanted (that's what my fried rides), but you might be better off with a 128 or 130. The main advantage to a smaller board would be swing weight and agility. The main disadvantage is it rides a little deeper and slower. If you're more of a beginner hoping to become intermediate, I think I'd err on the side of a little size and flotation. It won't be as nimble, but will feel faster, more stable, and you won't tire out as fast.

Side note - you don't have to focus on womens boards. The only difference in the boards is graphics. If you find a mens board in a 128 or 130 and it's priced right, grab it and you'll never know the difference. Throw a couple girly decals on it if it's too masculine looking. Men's boards are so much more common than womens boards that you might be able to find a better deal on a dude board.

santa 09-30-2015 4:32 AM

My wife is about your size, and last year she switched to an Obrien Spark 133 (it's the Tarah Makacich pro model). It's as if she's a totally new rider. Her riding became so much more consistent and she's riding with a lot more confidence. That board is so light and it tracks very well, yet it's loose enough to be able to break the fins on the water.

Good luck, let us know what you get.