WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   ideas for pool deck concrete replacement (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803819)

pesos 12-26-2014 2:07 PM

ideas for pool deck concrete replacement

3 Attachment(s)
Pool coping needs to be redone and I figure while we're at it this would be a good time to do something with the overall design as right now there's more concrete than I like. Basic ideas to improve appearance would be to either continue with the same stone that currently rings around the house, or put in something like Trex. Any thoughts/ideas? Anyone done Trex around the pool and is it more hassle than it's worth?

BaadLS1 12-26-2014 4:19 PM

I have no input other than that I'm unbelievably jealous.

grant_west 12-27-2014 9:12 AM

Wes: I would see Trex as a down grade to stone. I was thinking that you would want a smooth stone at the edge of the pool for a few reasons. Somthing like what you have but with a 1/2 Round edge instead of a square.

I would think smooth stone would feel better then Trex or a tile with grout on your feet or legs if you were hanging your legs over and into the pool, as well as getting in and out of the pool. Traditional pools have done it like this (rounded edges) for years for a reason. Not to mention the Maintance of having to re-screw down the trex from time to time.

You could find a granite that matched or went with your random pattern slate or quarts that surrounds your house. Have it sandblasted or flamed to improve traction and you should be good to go.

markj 12-27-2014 9:45 AM

I'd forget worrying about the concrete and get rid of the picket fence. Glass panels would be nice instead.

BaadLS1 12-27-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markj (Post 1900563)
I'd forget worrying about the concrete and get rid of the picket fence. Glass panels would be nice instead.

If the fence is vinyl, I'd disagree. Vinyl is maintenance free and cheaper.

If it were not vinyl, I'd say glass might be an improvement.

pesos 12-27-2014 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. The fence is vinyl. It does need one of the posts to be stabilized and the supports are a little too far apart so it has more movement in the middle sections than I'd like. Glass would be awesome for the view but I imagine a nightmare to keep clean?

ttrigo 12-27-2014 4:34 PM

glass will look like crap unless your cleaning it daily. other than that, I hate you. :)

BaadLS1 12-27-2014 5:24 PM

A bull nose long brick coping that matches the random slate wouldn't be too bad either. Otherwise, perhaps pull up the concrete and the surrounding rectangle slate and continue what you have to the coping into a slightly natural jagged edge or try to bull nose it with a grinder.

Where is that anyhow? Looks like I need to borrow your key for a week! :) Beautiful place!

barry 12-27-2014 7:56 PM

High tide in Berkley, huh?

diamonddad 12-27-2014 9:40 PM

Where is this place? Hawaii? Sure looks nice.