WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Boat selection help, ideas, comments, wanted.... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809202)

FrugalBoater 10-03-2019 3:34 PM

Boat selection help, ideas, comments, wanted....

I currently have a 2006 Four Winns Funship 224 with a wake tower. We use this boat to cruise some but primarily tube, ski, and wakeboard.

Dad (42) Wakeboards
Mom (40) Skis
Daughter (14) Wakeboards, Skis, and tubes
Son (11) Wakeboards and tubes
Daughter (5) tubes and skis

The boat does the trick covering all of these above activities. The issue is that my awesome brother in-law just traded his 2006 Sea Ray Sundeck for a 2014 Mojo Moomba. He took us all out for a day of surfing and my whole family had a blast doing it. So.......Now I am in the market, or at least starting to research, an updated boat for our family.

I am trying to spend right around 45k, give or take, after selling/trading my boat and a pair of Seadoos. Because of this, I started targeting Axis, Moomba, and came across Supreme and like what I read about those. Also have looked at a few older Malibu and MasterCrafts, but thinking the newer boats will be better at surfing.

I have also read some things about the hull design of some boats making a rougher ride through chop or at cruising speeds. Trying to find something that also has a clean wake at low speeds for the kids wake boarding. The boy is dying to start landing tricks, but my current wake doesn’t clean up until around 19. And last but not least, need something to add surfing to the bag......

I am open to buy a surf ready boat but also open to buy a WakeBoat, and add equipment. I do want surf tabs that are not manual, but I know you can add those on some boats as well. I will buy and keep this boat for a while (that is the plan), so buying and flipping often is not my style.

I really appreciate any and all advice I can get on this board. So what direction should I go?

shawndoggy 10-04-2019 12:46 AM

that's a lot to unpack. I'll just start with this... good low speed wake is usually the result of a flatter hull profile, so rough water ride suffers. Good rough water ride is the result of a deeper v hull profile so low speed wake suffers. You gotta pick one or the other. We had as our first boat a 2006 Malibu vride that would consistently clean up at 17ish, BUT that boat would rattle your fillings out in rough water.

joeshmoe 10-04-2019 2:41 AM

Welcome to the world of surfing! I got a 2005 VLX not just for surfing, but I did get the 2005 because it had the bigger hull than the 2004, even though the malibu has a flatter hull we have No problem surfing on lake Butler in a one or two foot chop at 9.5 mph.

FrugalBoater 10-04-2019 3:40 AM

Thanks for laying out the hull design points. I am a bit gun shy on the chop handling. Part of that reason is that my current boat (deckboat) is really rough when crossing other wakes, to the point I take it back to around 10 when i see them coming.

SoulSurfer 10-14-2019 4:19 PM

You are going to need to prioritize your "wants" in order to narrow down the search. If smoother ride in rough water is high on the list you're probably going to want one of the deeper V boats. Might want to add MB to the list, as they have pretty pronounced V carried all the way to the stern. Clean wakeboard wake at 19 mph isn't too too hard to find but it is probably at the low end of what's achievable behind a boat with a steeper deadrise if you feel you need to use a full length rope. Personally, we pull about 15 feet out of our wakeboard line for our younger riders so they can be in the narrower and cleanest part of the wake at these lower speeds. That makes it easier to get across the wake as well, since the wake can get really wide further back at low speed.

wombat2wombat 10-15-2019 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrugalBoater (Post 1992160)
Thanks for laying out the hull design points. I am a bit gun shy on the chop handling. Part of that reason is that my current boat (deckboat) is really rough when crossing other wakes, to the point I take it back to around 10 when i see them coming.

I strongly suggest a deep V hull. Our 05 VLX did not like chop & more times than not ruined our day once it got really choppy. The hull requires a lot of bow weight to get a longer wave to surf & it's super easy to dunk the nose no matter how careful you may be. Forgot about surfing once it's choppy. If surfing is your primary, which it will quickly be no matter what you say right now, just skip ahead & get a Deep V. I know too many people who listed all the things they would do with their new boat, board, tube, ski, surf & none of them do anything but surf & some wish they would've just skipped the cross over boats like the Mastercraft NTX or Malibu VTX. I would never go back to a boat that isn't a deep v hull after owning one.

jcon44 10-15-2019 3:49 AM

Not sure where you are located but my Malibu is for sale in NC. :)
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...960890325.html

theloungelife 10-15-2019 5:18 AM

Other than the chop issue, I'd say an Axis A22 would be great. I have riders often behind mine at 18-19 and it's clean. We run wedge down with them (helps keep it clean) but no ballast otherwise. It is a flatter hull though. If I'm about to hit someones surf wake, I usally throttle down to about 10-12ish. With other wakes (ski, wakeboard, tube etc), I think it handles it well as long as you hit them at the right angle. Something around 45 degress works well.

My A22 is a 2013. We use the mission suction gate and it works pretty well.

jcon44 10-15-2019 7:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcon44 (Post 1992427)
Not sure where you are located but my Malibu is for sale in NC. :)
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...960890325.html

Forgot to mention the surf system is already installed for ya, wakeboard wake is great even at slower speeds as well. It checks most of your boxes as other has mentioned. good luck! :D

wombat2wombat 10-16-2019 4:09 AM

47k for a 2007 with 700 hours? There's a reason that posting is 2 months old

Shakarocks 10-16-2019 3:11 PM

Whatever you get in this range throw an Infinitywave.net surf system on it and you're good to go. It was prototyped on a Centurion SV230 (deep V) and a Malibu VLX. Works great on almost everything.

jcon44 10-17-2019 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakarocks (Post 1992466)
Whatever you get in this range throw an Infinitywave.net surf system on it and you're good to go. It was prototyped on a Centurion SV230 (deep V) and a Malibu VLX. Works great on almost everything.

Agreed, I've been on a few boats with GSA and have not heard of any hulls it doesn't work on. I would assume the same can be said for Infinity but I've never seen it in action.

wombat2wombat 10-18-2019 2:17 AM

there have been a couple of guys who bought infinity & ended up taking their plates off & purchasing the GSA plates. GSA is an awesome system but it does require a lot of weight to make it great

jcon44 10-18-2019 3:29 AM

Hadn't heard that about Infinity, Yes, GSA does like weight but the good news is it likes it in the rear so eliminates bags on the seats and in the bow etc. Also helps with dipping the bow as well. I surf with 3000lbs ballast using GSA for example and get a really nice wave, adding a boat full of people and it gets even better.