WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   morels (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787097)

wakereviews 04-23-2011 6:23 AM

morels

Anyone on WW hunt morels?

john211 04-23-2011 7:07 AM

I do not.

A friend of mine does, who owns a 950 acre farm about an hour north of Bull Shoals dam. (He doesn't wakeboard even though his brother owns a Tige and I've got a wakeboard boat too).

We are going to a brewery opening today (a craft brewery, Mother's, in Springfield).

I know he's bored with collecting Morels, but he has told me a little bit about it. It is talked about a lot in his family circles. It seems you have got to know where they grow, and show up at the right time after rain and-or spring warming. The whole secret is knowing the secret spots. The morels will re-appear there year after year.

What do you want me to ask him?

phantom5815 04-23-2011 12:24 PM

Someone on Wakeboarder does. I believe he's rarely on this site. He lives in NorCal.
Try over there.

autotunner69 04-23-2011 10:25 PM

We have here before a few years ago up camping in the Entiat Valley up in the forest area. we actually got quite a few. sauteed them in butter in a pan over the campfire and they we sooooo good :).

wakereviews 04-24-2011 4:36 AM

I was just curious, they are just starting to pop around here. Yes, they are delicious.

john211 04-25-2011 10:19 AM

24 Attachment(s)
The brewery event, to be outdoors, was rained out. My friend, amused by never-before shown interest in Morels, reversed the invitation.

wakereviews 04-25-2011 11:49 AM

Nice, got a few good ones there. Found about 14 yesterday. Hitting my father in laws farm next weekend to do a little hunting.

04-25-2011 12:11 PM

Yes! I have been hunting and frying morels since I could walk... eating bugs too. It is still early in IL though, too cold too!

We went to Yellowstone one year after a fire and the ground was literally covered with them.

wakereviews 04-25-2011 12:40 PM

yeah, this IL weather sucks... but i've been finding them sporadically. Mainly finding greys but did find about 4 yellows which were nice and fat. Definitely another week and we should be ready to hit 'em hard.

WaterBullDawg 04-26-2011 1:21 PM

OK, I have had it. What in the hell are these things, and what exactly do you do with them?

For some strange reason, I heard of these suckers for the first time three days ago, and now I have read 4 different posts on 4 different message boards about them since then.

I can't escape them!!

04-26-2011 1:26 PM

You eat them!

wakereviews 04-26-2011 1:51 PM

Found 6 more today, if we could just get some decent sunlight it'd be on. My wife likes them fried in saltine cracker crumbs & butter, but I like the flavor of the mushroom more without all the butter/batter. They are great on pizza.

WaterBullDawg 04-26-2011 2:15 PM

On a pizza huh? That might be good. What kind of flavor are we talking about? I mean what makes them different than a regular shroom?