WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Ufc 129 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787238)

hatepain 04-29-2011 11:27 AM

Ufc 129

This looks like it could very well be a very exciting card tomorrow night. What are your guys' picks for the main card?

I'll go:
GSP (but I'd like to see Sheilds win)
Aldo
I know nothing about either light heavy weight
The Dragon
Henderson

tings00 04-29-2011 11:35 AM

i hope the GSP fight is exciting. a couple of known lay'n'prayers going at it. On a side note this should set a UFC record for attendance, I think like 55k.

BCPMike0663 04-29-2011 1:48 PM

I am really excited about this card. I hope GSP finally gets a finish here. I also want to see Aldo fight. I have never seen him fight but from everything I here he is a finisher and the guy he is fighting just wants to stand and bang, should be good.
THe Machida and Coture fight I think is going to be a snooze fest. I hope I am wrong and they both bring it. But both has looked rather average in their last couple of fights. Hopefully someone tries to step up and push the pace.
Finally a fight I am really excited about is on spike TV. Mcdonald vs Diaz. Mcdonald is only like 20 and almost took out Carlos Condit last fight. And as for Diaz I just can't stand him so I hope he gets crushed. I could see Mcdonald turn into a miny version of GSP in a few years. He has some talent.

sinkoumn 04-30-2011 8:32 PM

Aldo/Hominick, great fight!

poser007 05-01-2011 10:43 AM

Amazing night of fights although the main event was boring. Jake Shields although looking awkward and slow actually gave GSP a half way decent fight. I like Jake Shields but after watching him last night I wonder how he could have won all those fights?

George St. Pierre has no knock out power and I am starting to think he is a very boring fighter. What I mean by that is he understands the fight game better then anyone. When he steps into the octogon he has a plan that is followed to a T. He did not want to go to the ground with Shields so he maed it a stand up fight. When he fights a striker he takes them down. It's all strategy but makes for a very boring fight. I think Anderson Silva will knock GSP out unless George can keep him on the ground

BCPMike0663 05-02-2011 8:52 AM

Rory McDonald is a bad ass! Those suplex throws were awsome. I also gained a lot of respect for Mark Hominick if that fight would have gone longer he would have won. GSP needs to step it up. The problem is I don't know who there is left for him to fight. There would be some good fights for him at middle weight but I don't think he can handle silva. Too big.

poser007 05-02-2011 1:15 PM

Mike I think you are right. At 170 GSP is a monster to fight and I am pretty sure he will continue to mop up the floor. But the fights are getting really lack luster. At 185 against people like Sonnen SIlva Marquart I think we would see GSP start to lose a couple fights. But for the fans it would be more interesting. The last few fights of GSP have went the distance in very boring fashion.

lizzyb 05-02-2011 2:12 PM

Keep in mind guys that GSP did have a pretty nasty eye injury sustained in round 2 and he was fighting the rest of the way only seeing out of one eye. I would imagine that isn't the easiest thing in the world. :)

GSP knows exactly what he needs to do to win fights, period. He doesn't take a lot of chances and does exactly what he needs to do to keep his belt. There isn't a smarter fighter in the UFC.

Daniel - You act like GSP isn't facing fierce competition. He is facing fighters every bit as good as Sonnen or Marquart.. and beating them easily.

The latest developments for GSP that I've heard are Nick Diaz coming over from Strikeforce. I don't think it's up to GSP to move weight classes to secure new fights.. it's up to the UFC to bring in promising talent to challenge him.

I have no interest at all in GSP/Silva. Silva is WAY too big for him. Silva walks around at 220 pounds, for goodness sake. If anything, Silva should be making a move to LHW and fighting Bones Jones... now THAT I'd love to see.

hatepain 05-02-2011 2:48 PM

The card did shape up to be exciting with the exception of GSP's fight which I didn't have high hopes for anyway. GSP is certainly smart and very disciplined with his game plan but its so boring to just sit and watch him nutralize his opponents talents rather than exercise his. I too would rather see Silva vs JBJ but I would also like to see Silva v GSP but I unlike Lizzy don't mind seeing GSP get his ass kicker ;)

jeff_mn 05-03-2011 8:19 AM

Please don't let GSP wrestle**** Diaz for 5 rounds..

That's probably the only fight Ground St. Pound can finish these days as Diaz' wrestling is worst in class.. Diaz is so vastly over rated right now - it's insanity.. he's beating UFC cast offs and getting praised as #2 in teh world because of it.

He would get worked by the top 10 170's in the UFC..

And I'm a HUGE Nick Diaz fan...

lizzyb 05-03-2011 10:23 AM

I can't stand either of the Diaz brothers. Barf. That being said, I think GSP would work Diaz into the ground. Let's hope, anyway..

If that fight ended in decision, even I will start to rethink my GSP nut-hugging status. :)

poser007 05-03-2011 3:13 PM

I totally agree Lizzyb. I love GSP one of my favorite fighters but I cant sit through another boring fight. I honestly do not think Diaz has a chance as GSP will just take him down and make sure he avoids a sub. The Diaz fight = even more boring then the Shields fight. Here is what I would like to see. GSP vs Sonnen or GSP vs Vitor Belfort. I agree I would rather see Silva vs Bones Jones but I already predicted if that happens Silva would knock Bones out if it stays standing and if it goes to the ground Bones would TKO Silva with viscous elbows. I was also disappointed in the Couture fight. I absolutely love Randy but figured something like this would happen. Machida looked unbeatable before his 2 losses. Looks like he might be a formidable opponent again. I would like to see Randy come back and get a win before he retires.

jeff_mn 05-04-2011 6:18 AM

GSP is 10 x the grappler that Diaz is..GSP is a competitive tournament grappler and has beat MUCH better BJJ guys than Diaz in MMA..

He will put him on his back and make him eat the floor..

GSP by TKO stoppage from cuts via elbows from the top. Won't even be a contest.

lizzyb 05-04-2011 8:20 AM

^^^ Agree completely.

I can't f'ing stand Nick Diaz and his ridiculous perma scowl.

lizzyb 05-04-2011 9:22 AM

Good article from Greg Jackson about GSP's eye injury..

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jac...rres-Eye-32082