WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   stock ford stero (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787470)

epic1 05-10-2011 5:16 PM

stock ford stero

I bought a 98 expedition eddie baur a few months ago. It had a pos sony head unit, but came with the stock head unit. The stero I have is the Mach stero with sub and amp and 6 disc changer. I hate the sony, it does not opperate the sub and amp and just sucks. I tryed putting the stock radio back in. All the plugs fit right, but no power. The sony works, so there is power to the unit. I recently got another ford head unit that is exactly the same, for free. Same deal, sony turns on, neither ford does.
Is there some code, or something. I just want some sub love with out going through the headaches that I hear about trying to opperate the stock amp and sub with an after market unit.

Thanks

denverd1 05-11-2011 9:51 AM

does the eddie B come with an amp and sub? sounds like a wiring harness issue. If not, you're going to need an amp on the sub. Maybe a headache but thats how its done.

epic1 05-11-2011 10:48 AM

yeah it has the amp and sub. The sony that is in there now does not run the amp and sub. Not sure why. All i have is highs, no mids or bass. The sony is using a harnes, and the stock harness is intact. All the wires going into the stock harness plugs are in good shape and hooked up. There is however, a mid gauge speaker wire coming from the sonys plug. Maybe the previous owner had after market subs and amp? Should I dis connect and see what happens?
Why the hell does my sony work, but when I plug in my ford head units, nothing, no sound, no display?
Has any one delt with the Mach 460 sustems.

chris4x4gill2 05-11-2011 2:15 PM

Those stereos had an anti theft security system in them. You cnt just plug them in to make them work. I forget how to enter the code, but there is a box located in the cargo area, driver side, under an access panel with a security code / SN on it you will need if I remember correctly.

BTW, any cheap new CD player will be better than the old stock ones. The factory sub is a small paper coned 8" and is most likely shot by now anyway.

epic1 05-11-2011 5:53 PM

I was planning on upgrading the sub when and if needed.
Do you know if, when I plug it in, is it suposed to ask me for a code? Or do I enter it into a black screen?

chris4x4gill2 05-12-2011 5:26 AM

Its been quite a while since i messed with these things so I might not be 100% right but.........

For the original stereo to the car, you should be able to get the code from a Ford Dealer by giving them the cars VIN. For a non original stereo, you need the stereos SN to get the code from Ford. Its like a 4 digit code you push in using the 1-6 buttons on the radio. I think you can get the SN for the radio off of the back of the radio or on some press and hold 1 and 6 buttons at the same time and it will display the SN.

Hope that helps..... but easiest thing to do IMO is buy a $100 JVC and be done with it.

epic1 05-12-2011 9:26 AM

I finnaly found a line converter to use an aftermarket head unit, and still use my stock amp and subs. Like twenty bucks, so we will see how it goes