WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   92 Supra Sunsport dies off idle (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805377)

ukpaul 08-24-2015 3:37 PM

92 Supra Sunsport dies off idle

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys. First post.
Had some problems with my 92 supra.
Bought it early this year and always fires up fine and idles but when you put in gear, a lot of the time it will die unless you give it a little more throttle. I can handle it but gets frustrating when putting back on trailer or trying to take slack out of rope for wakeboarder etc.
I had the holley rebuilt but still has same problem. A mechanic I know told me today to check the weights in distributor for sticking but I can't find any.
I'm getting really frustrated with it.
Any ideas, Thanks

trayson 08-25-2015 9:06 AM

You're honestly going to get more insight at the supra forum.

However, I used to own the same boat with the same engine. You have the 285hp pro boss, and that boat doesn't have a distributor. it has coilpacks as part of the Pro tec ignition system. That system either works great or it doesn't. Mine never failed. however, people that have had issues with theirs end up having to retrofit a distributor into their boats. It's a mixed opinion whether it's worth shelling out a few hundred from Skidim.com and get the "marine" one vs. just getting a system off ebay for a Ford 351 Windsor that's gonna be 1/3 the price or less.

I'm honestly not sure if your symptoms are the coilpacks.

Have you replaced your fuel filter? I'd had all sorts of issues on mine that were I believe related to water in the fuel. Some speculate the 10% ethanol gas is also something that would cause problems over time. I dunno. My problem was that my boat would work fine and then out of nowhere it'd sputter and chug if you went over 8 - 10mph with no load. it was worse with surf ballast. But then the problem would disappear. or it would linger and I'd drain my gas and with a fresh tank it was fine. I sold the boat before I really nailed down the issue. My next step was going to be to have a clean can of ethanol free gas and run a line from the fuel pump straight into the gas can bypassing the filter and everything downstream of that.

Good luck and search and post up on the Supra forum for the best insight.

trayson 08-25-2015 9:13 AM

Oh, and I actually seem to remember having that exact same issue you had... now that I think about it, what I ended up doing was cleaning the crap out of the carb, and then resetting the clicks that control the amount of fuel spraying to the "default" setting. I never did a carb rebuild, but resetting the clicks on the fuel nozzles did the trick for me on the needing more fuel at idle or just in gear.

Here, I found my thread on it. does this sound like your issue???

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showth...ight=idle+carb

denverd1 08-25-2015 9:14 AM

you have the power valve replaced when the "rebuilt" it?

Not too many good carb guys around anymore but you need to find someone that knows how to tune them. air/fuel mix, float levels, power valve, idle set screw and probably a few more variables I'm forgetting. any one of those out of whack and it won't run worth a damn.

whoever worked on it, likely couldn't put a load on it and test the full range of throttle and load.

test your coil/coilpacks whichever you may have and rule spark out of it.

ukpaul 08-25-2015 9:30 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I read your old thread and yes, sounds exactly like the first half of the problems. It's livable, but more anoying. Yes, I have had the filter changed but still same. The mechanic I have been chatting to last couple of days, who by the way, has a great name with race cars etc around town did say that he might up the power valve to make it a little richer off idle.
I got nothing to loose, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again for your input.