WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Best all rounder - need advise (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808423)

Fly22 01-28-2018 6:57 PM

Best all rounder - need advise

I've really appreciated this website and all the knowledge from members.

I need your advise on a new (er) boat.

Budget - 60 to 70 k
Location- Utah
Activities- I'm a slalom guy but getting middle age and can't ski all day. Looking for a boat that can pull me in the morning, pull kids on tubes for half a day, then surf the rest of the day.

I currently own a glastron, this next purchase will be my first tow boat. I've owned the Glaston since 2002 and bought it new.

I plan on keeping the ski boat for a good while so wear tear definitely are a factor.

I've look at everything from new sangers to used LSV Malibu.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

on_wi 01-28-2018 8:20 PM

First question would be crew size. How big is the current glastron? How many people do you currently hit the water with and how do you see that changing with the new boat?

Fly22 01-28-2018 8:39 PM

Best all rounder - need advise

Currently have a crew of 5 but am limited and can't really take friends and family.

I'd like to have a boat that can comfortably take care of minimum 4 adults and kids..
Say 12-14 people

simplej 01-29-2018 5:30 AM

if you're going to be taking 12-14 people you're going to need a 24+ foot tow boat...

None of them are going to make a very good slalom wake.
Your best bet is probably going to be a malibu 247 lsv

dakota4ce 01-29-2018 6:12 AM

That’s a solid suggestion, but getting a supercharged one (Utah?) on that budget will be a challenge?

dakota4ce 01-29-2018 6:13 AM

That’s a tough budget for an altitude capable 24’ that surfs well.

simplej 01-29-2018 6:22 AM

Hey may also be able to get away with an rz4 or a24 with the 6.0l HO's. I can't think of any other hull that will generate a slalom wake better than bad. These hulls will at least produce a mediocre slalom wake. But if OP is coming from a glastron any flat hulled boat will do better.

Probably just going to need to deal with WOT at slalom speeds in any event. Or lose some friends and get a smaller boat. If he gets a Bu he also absolutely will need power wedge.

Just because your 22 footer can seat 14 doesnt mean you actually want more than 8 people in it. He needs a big boat and that comes with major compromise.

jonblarc7 01-29-2018 6:23 AM

The engine might not work for you but it's a really good boat and 23'

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2013-Su...ota-72732.aspx

Fly22 01-29-2018 7:49 AM

Thanks guys for the input.

I'm not looking for a perfect slalom wake. I get there will be compromise on any item listed seeing that my goal is a boat that can do everything average.

three6ty 01-29-2018 8:29 AM

My buddy skis behind his 2014 Malibu LSV ( 23') and he does just fine. He says its good for a 23' wakeboard boat and he seems to do just fine behind it.
We do Lake Powell with them every year and your schedule is exactly what we do.
Ski in the morning, Pull tubers and wakeboard until the kids arms are tired and then we surf into the evening. we fit 13 in his boat, but make sure you get the bigger motor if you do or it will be really slow to plane.

Look in the classifieds here on Wakeworld.
Dave is selling the Wakeworld Boat for $75K and it is one of the nicest boats you will find and has low hours. I have been drooling over his boat for a while now and has everything you want.
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=5167

Blamey 01-29-2018 4:17 PM

Two boats are better then one.

I understand it's not always possible but you'll get more bang for your buck if you get a dedicated slalom boat for the morning and something bigger for the tubing and surfing.

Bakes 01-29-2018 5:36 PM

Don't EVER think you will enjoy a fast slalom set with 10-12 people in the boat. I have a Z3 that is surprisingly fun with just 1-4 people in the boat. Put 8-10 people in it though and that fun wake turns into a brick wall that really kinda sucks. Hole shot goes out the window as well with the crowd in the boat.

Your price range I'd be looking at the Malibu 23LSV or the Tige Z3. Both will do everything you want, look great and are well within the budget. 12 people sucks on a boat if your doing watersports anyways. You can get 4 adults and 8 kids on any 22-23 foot boat easily. Sure it's a little crowded but it's still crowded on a 24 footer as well.

Here is me on the slalom on the Z3. You kinda learn to jump the wake but it's still fun
https://vimeo.com/214960379

And yes..two boats is better. My plan is a sweet wake boat (check), a beater closed bow ski boat, and a beater pontoon.

GoBeavs85 01-29-2018 7:07 PM

2 boats is the dream! Cheap slalom tug for $10k or under and $60k left over for a surf boat. Extra storage space and maintenance become the only issue. Once I can afford a $50k+ boat I will keep my slalom boat of $10k and add the surf boat. Probably once my youngest approaches teenage years. I have 5 years or so to save up.

CarFanatic5 01-30-2018 7:53 AM

I"ve got a real nice z3 in that range for sale. only 154 hours. new condition. Surfs great I've never slalomed.

JR_88 01-30-2018 8:32 AM

Any v-drive you choose will need to plumb in an 500lb ibs or go lead and stick it all in the bow. Keeping a low crew will also help lessen the wake at slalom speed to give you a lower hurdle to pass through.

cbarguy1 02-01-2018 2:40 PM

If by slalom you mean cutting across the wake with some aggression, it can't be done. There is no boat made that will ski, hold a bunch of people and surf even reasonably well. At best pick two.

If ski/people is the priority get an MC 214, Malibu sunsetter or some type of larger direct drive boat with a tower. But when you set up for surf be prepared for a hassle.

If people/surf is the priority, Malibu 23LSV is my recommendation. Great boats and there is a ton of supply because so many have been sold. They are the F150 of the tow boat world. It won't ski well but at least it will have a smooth giant wake instead of a lippy abrupt giant wake.

Bakes 02-01-2018 8:29 PM

^^^you can absolutely cut across the wake with some aggression on a bunch of different boats that hold a lot of people and surf well. Maybe not set any slalom record or compete, but you can absolutely slice through them.....as long as your boat does not have a ton of people in it. That is to say, an LSV23 or Z3 surf well, hold a bunch of people and can be slalomed aggressively. Just make sure you dump most of your crew off before you hit that slalom set.