WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   You got Cracks in your gelcoat,,,THIS IS HOW YOU FIX THEM... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808292)

Reddog78 11-30-2017 6:51 AM

But g's outfit to ride a bike kills me!! No coming back from that burn!

MooSeMan 11-30-2017 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Red ,this is how I ride my bike

infinitysurf 11-30-2017 2:05 PM

lol

svnfightsvn 11-30-2017 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakota4ce (Post 1971494)
Overthink things much? Good gravy, guy can post whatever he wants and title it whatever he wants. Doesn’t need to be judged in written form by everyone. People like Moose keep life interesting! It take all types, guys.

Nope I don't overthink things but no matter what gets posted on these forums, someone's got an opinion on it. So if you are gonna post, be prepared for someone to chime in with something that may not be in line with your views.

dakota4ce 11-30-2017 6:45 PM

You got Cracks in your gelcoat,,,THIS IS HOW YOU FIX THEM...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svnfightsvn (Post 1971543)
Nope I don't overthink things but no matter what gets posted on these forums, someone's got an opinion on it. So if you are gonna post, be prepared for someone to chime in with something that may not be in line with your views.

You very carefully and methodically criticized his thread title, suggested the thread should not have been posted in the first place, bashed the reasoning for fixing this boat, and deemed his website useless. Among some others shots I cannot recall.

You were not really disputing anyone’s opinion by offering counter info or another view, you were judging another guy as stupid. More or less.

Re-read your post. It was pretty pointless other than to condemn. All when the dude is just showing how to put some lipstick on an old pig of a boat.

Reddog78 11-30-2017 7:00 PM

Yup moose is the dude. I remember a couple of years ago the keyboard warriors were tryin to get him and he posted a pic of him drinking a beer and bbqing with a lil hibatchi at sunset on the beach. That's straight up winning.

dakota4ce 11-30-2017 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddog78 (Post 1971550)
Yup moose is the dude. I remember a couple of years ago the keyboard warriors were tryin to get him and he posted a pic of him drinking a beer and bbqing with a lil hibatchi at sunset on the beach. That's straight up winning.

Just flat out ripping him makes no sense to me. He looks like an OG to me. Would like to chat with him sometime. Bet it would be worth it 100x!

svnfightsvn 12-01-2017 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakota4ce (Post 1971549)
You very carefully and methodically criticized his thread title, suggested the thread should not have been posted in the first place, bashed the reasoning for fixing this boat, and deemed his website useless. Among some others shots I cannot recall.

You were not really disputing anyone’s opinion by offering counter info or another view, you were judging another guy as stupid. More or less.

Re-read your post. It was pretty pointless other than to condemn. All when the dude is just showing how to put some lipstick on an old pig of a boat.

I would not have called my post methodical lol. I was simply agreeing with someone else's views. The only reason I suggested the thread not be posted in the first place was to avoid the backlash that has ensued. I was also not bashing the reasons for fixing the boat. If you read my post again, I stated that I'm sure there are folks willing to accept that kind of quality in a fix. I did kinda bash the website tho. Not gonna deny that. Guess that deserves the wakeworld whipping stick

MICAH_HARPER 12-01-2017 5:04 AM

To many divas on WakeWorld these days.

Moose.....keep on Moosin!!

dakota4ce 12-01-2017 5:09 AM

You got Cracks in your gelcoat,,,THIS IS HOW YOU FIX THEM...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svnfightsvn (Post 1971554)
I would not have called my post methodical lol. I was simply agreeing with someone else's views. The only reason I suggested the thread not be posted in the first place was to avoid the backlash that has ensued. I was also not bashing the reasons for fixing the boat. If you read my post again, I stated that I'm sure there are folks willing to accept that kind of quality in a fix. I did kinda bash the website tho. Not gonna deny that. Guess that deserves the wakeworld whipping stick

No you’re missing the fact that you ARE the whipping stick. Defending a post like that? C’mon man.

dakota4ce 12-01-2017 5:24 AM

See: the comma remark. If you weren’t trying to be a soap box d-head, you sure sounded like one. That’s my point.

Reddog78 12-01-2017 5:53 AM

Triple OG. Surfer/skater the realist.

dakota4ce 12-01-2017 6:51 PM

Moose—you know my SoCal beach guy Marty Squires? Venice area.

MooSeMan 12-01-2017 8:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I showed you the BEST way to Fix gelcoat cracking ,I've seen these DIYers try to show you how to fix gelcoats ,grind out the crack and fill it with Kitty hair then sand it and primer it and L/P paint it ,to do it right takes a LOT of Time and $$$ most shop rates are $100+ an hour,But that don't fix the problem,It covers up the cracking for a year or so ,ITS GOING TO START CRACKING IN OTHER PLACES ,IF YOUR GOING TO STOP THE CRACKING FOREVER YOU MUST LAY 2 LAYERS OF 4 OZ DOWN ,,,Then Sand, Prime,Fill,Sand,Prime ,Glazz,sand,Prime ,then paint with L/P paint (at $350~$800+ for a gal kit)and it STILL wound be BETTER than NEW ,this is hard stuff to do,No Matter WHO YOU R ...My bro payed about $4K for the Boat ,and it ran GREAT,I open my mouth and said I can give it a Cabon Fiber look ,and Glass it like My Boat ,because painting is a LOT of work and NOT Cheep ,,,It dosen't matter what a boat looks like as long as it gives off a good Wake,And if you can have fun on the Cheep ,Good for Us,you don't need $80K to go ride,I colored my Boat up for less than $100 and I was STOKED on the way it looked ...

Reddog78 12-02-2017 9:35 AM

moose surprised you ain't ditched them boots and started wakeskating yet.

MooSeMan 12-04-2017 8:52 PM

Red we NEVER had boots we ride Butter Raps on a Sliding Adjustable Track ,my boards ARE wakeskates ,,,
Being from Da OC ,We surfed Newport & Huntington witch is a powerful beach break,And being 240 lbs,I all ways dreamed of riding a 5'4'',But I'd never catch a wave ,NOW all I have to do is hold a Rope AND RIP,Endless waves that Nobody ever cuts me off ,Fast and lined up like Newport,,,watch my board go rail to rail,and threw HUGE spray,,,watch the Whip, I pass the Boat up and I weight 240,,,thats called PERFECT Rocker ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uxlTE3e6U
STILL WAITING TO SEE THAT DIY VIDEO ON FIXING CRACKED GELCOATS ,DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS???

ralph 12-04-2017 9:02 PM

I've never seen Spray so good. Front side slash, backside slash, front side slash. Amazing.

downfortheride 12-05-2017 6:11 AM

Quote:

Red we NEVER had boots we ride Butter Raps on a Sliding Adjustable Track ,my boards ARE wakeskates ,,,
Being from Da OC ,We surfed Newport & Huntington witch is a powerful beach break,And being 240 lbs,I all ways dreamed of riding a 5'4'',But I'd never catch a wave ,NOW all I have to do is hold a Rope AND RIP,Endless waves that Nobody ever cuts me off ,Fast and lined up like Newport,,,watch my board go rail to rail,and threw HUGE spray,,,watch the Whip, I pass the Boat up and I weight 240,,,thats called PERFECT Rocker ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uxlTE3e6U
STILL WAITING TO SEE THAT DIY VIDEO ON FIXING CRACKED GELCOATS ,DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS???
The Moose is loose! Props if you're still riding after all these years.

cadunkle 12-20-2017 8:46 AM

Good grief, didn't even remove the rub rail. I wonder what kind of surface prep he did, if any. Rusted windshield channel, just glob on caulk? I either do repairs proper on my old junk or not at all until I have the time to do it proper. None of this costs a lot of money, just time and effort. It makes me a little sad to see a classic inboard done wrong like that, just like it's a shame to see people cut up classic bike frames for their hackjob "cafe racer", or butcher a classic car. Be that as it may, it's his property so he can do what he wants with it. You can't save them all.

chattwake 12-21-2017 6:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Poster updated.

skiboarder 12-21-2017 7:48 AM

The Moose is a WW legend. I don't understand why people take pleasure tormenting him. Live and let live. I would love to have his stoke level for a day.

grant_west 12-21-2017 10:37 AM

^^^ What I have come to understand “when posting about moose”, is if you point out the odvious (like his carbon fiber repair job above is total hack) people get pissed at you like your picking on a special needs person, which I agree is totally messed up. While pointing out the odvious is a trademark of W/W, this does not apply when posting about the Moose. Any bit of criticism or truth is pointed out as your “tormenting a legend” as Ski boarder points out.

P.S Chat comes threw again!

baitkiller 12-21-2017 3:04 PM

Gold Jerry. Gold!

MooSeMan 12-22-2017 7:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
g~eee????keeps on wizzzing himself ,Hack my a$$ you have no Idea on how to fix gelcoat ,i saw your DIY clip ,Your a JOKE ,who Are you to put the work that I do ,where I live people drive 3 hour to have me fix there boats,I fix this boat 2 months ago took less than 2 hours,,,all you got to do is look at your picture ,,,KOOK

grant_west 12-23-2017 10:18 AM

^^^ Hey Moose. That’s a nice repair job on the blue boat . You should have posted photos of that repair job. Your crazy if you think your carbon fiber gel coat fix looks good. And yes I stand by my words it’s Hack.

aricsx15 12-23-2017 1:19 PM

Looks like that blue boat is spray painted

MooSeMan 12-23-2017 6:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jet Ski ,took me longer to wait for the primer to dry ,than to fix the ding,,,UV hardinger...
YES both repairs spayed with Rust~oleum

grant_west 12-23-2017 11:51 PM

Painted with Rust~oleum !
Ok moose you are Either #1 Very Very Funny & I hope that’s the case! Or #2 a paint/glue Huffer.

onlyinboards 12-24-2017 8:50 AM

this thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Merry Christmas!

boardman74 12-24-2017 8:55 AM

Like the "jelly of the month club"?

The gift that keeps on giving the whole year thru....

grant_west 12-25-2017 1:41 PM

Hey have you guys seen the “There I Fixed it” photos/videos
https://youtu.be/cZWXFdAAzxU

Reddog78 12-26-2017 9:52 AM

#kook

MooSeMan 12-26-2017 6:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
g~eeee???? why U keep wizzing on yourself???I've seen the DIY gelcoat repair #KOOK #KOOK ,,,That little chip ???All you need is a razor blade ,DO NOT MAKE A CRATER LIKE g~eeee wizz... and DON'T wipe the area with acetone,take the razor and pick out the loose stuff out ,and then take the razor and rub it over the chip,,to break the shine ,,,take a small stick and fill the chip ,,,and put a small peace of WAX PAPER over the chip about 2~3X the size of the chip ,,,air pressure will even it out over the chip ,and suck it smooth,,,then sand with 320,400,600,800,1,000 and polish with compound,,,since you DID'T WIPE THE BOAT WITH ACETONE ,the extra Gel coat WONT STICK TO THE BOAT AND FEATHER NICE ...REPAIR LIKE THIS SHOULD TAKE YOU ABOUT 10 MINS IN LABOR,,,,,DO NOT USE PACKING TAPE ,WAX PAPER WILL MAKE IT NOT STICKY,,,DONT BE A #KOOK...

MooSeMan 12-26-2017 7:15 PM

When i fix boats ,,,First people dont want to spend anything on a repair ,so I do it as cheep as I can ,I tell about painting it with L/P and then tell them it will cost about $150 for a Quart kit or $4 for Rust~eleum ,,,25 years ago I had a boss that We fooled Government inspectors ,Using Rust~eleum,instead of gel coat ,,,,Gel coat DONT SPRAY LIKE PAINT AND THEN YOU GOT SPRAY P.V.A. OVER THE GEL COAT ,,,AND NOW YOU GOT WAIT 6 HOURS TO COLOR SAND ,,,Rust~eleum,you can color sand in about 2 1/2 hours... the blue boat Fixed in a hour $250 ,Jet Ski hour $120...Guess who's coming to Dinner,,,Natty Dreadlocks...

grant_west 12-26-2017 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Moose: I did that gel repair more then 8 years. Never having done a gel repair ever. I took the boat out TODAY guess what you still can’t see the repair to this day. I guess I did somthing right?
Cheers to Butter as far as you can see and Warm weather the day after Christmas!

downfortheride 12-27-2017 12:39 PM

Moose! All the power to ya if people are paying you for patch work... Just think your thread title should read "You got Cracks in your gelcoat,,,THIS IS HOW YOU HIDE THEM..."

markj 12-27-2017 2:43 PM

Gotta love those December Cali water conditions. We were out two days before Christmas. Full suit made it tolerable. Had the whole place to ourselves.

grant_west 12-27-2017 3:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Moose: sorry I didn’t follow your instructions. I paid like $50 for the Gell from spectrum & a few more bucks in Aceatone and Chemical Tape. That’s what the green tape was at the time, Chemical resistant tape. I fixed it myself in a afternoon in my garage. 8+ years later it still looks like this . I just took these photos 5 mins ago. I think it still looks good for a guy with no website, no street cred & wears a monkey suite when I ride my bike :)

ralph 12-27-2017 4:29 PM

Looks mint G

MooSeMan 12-27-2017 4:41 PM

Yeah g~eeee??? the repair does look great ,fixing new stuff is easy ,But when some things are 20~25+ years ,that a whole new game .... I just show how to do it in 15 mins

markj 12-27-2017 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1972624)
Moose: sorry I didn’t follow your instructions. I paid like $50 for the Gell from spectrum & a few more bucks in Aceatone and Chemical Tape. That’s what the green tape was at the time, Chemical resistant tape. I fixed it myself in a afternoon in my garage. 8+ years later it still looks like this . I just took these photos 5 mins ago. I think it still looks good for a guy with no website, no street cred & wears a monkey suite when I ride my bike :)

I don't know, Grant. I think I see a speck of dust on your boat. LOL

meathead65 12-27-2017 7:46 PM

You get what you pay for. You want it done right, no glass guy worth using is gonna even open the shop door for 125 bucks. You want slam bam rust-o-Lee-am, than 125 obviously can get it done.

jonblarc7 12-28-2017 11:13 AM

G you got street credit in my eyes !!!!!!!

jonblarc7 12-28-2017 11:15 AM

And Grants boat is what 1998 air nautique so that's what 20 years old now.

Good point Moose LOL

grant_west 12-28-2017 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blair my boat is a 2002. So right in their at 20 years old. But to Moose’s point the finish on my boat was in pretty good shape to begin with. I agree with Moose it’s easyer to match up
Or blend a repair with a nice new finish. Trying to blend in a repair with a old beat down finish, well I don’t even know how you would do that?

If I had to do a repair again I would do it exactly the same as I outlined in my DIY. The worst part of this repair is having to dig into or gouge out a repair. Taking a DREMEL tool and bit and making a small ding or scratch larger takes some serious commitment. And the reason you do this is so that the Gell has somthing to bight into. The more the Gell has to grab onto the better it’s gonna stick and NOT pop or crack later. I would also add” the higher the traffic aera the more important this step is” In a place that gets little to no wear I don’t think you have to create a canyon.

Last but not least. “Hey moose” when you have people stealing photos of your Repairs & posting them on Craig’s list as work “they did” to draw in business, then that’s some serious streeet cred LOL
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679173

bass10after 12-28-2017 9:46 PM

G what are you doing continuing this? Everyone here can clearly see you don’t cut corners and have provided a ton of insight. Come on man.

markj 12-29-2017 7:22 AM

That Craigslist ad is solid gold.

grant_west 12-29-2017 8:07 AM

Detox: I was trying to back out of this thread with out insulting anyone and getting a laugh at a thread from the past, imo everything is cool, or at least I hope so?

tre 12-29-2017 8:34 AM

G, you're all good. Murray and G both seem like good guys and G has long been a great contributor here. This was entertaining but nowhere near as entertaining as some classic Lon wakeworld gold: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780094

MooSeMan 12-29-2017 4:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
g~eeee Y do u keep wizzzing on your self???let me School you on gel coat ,first it meant sprayed in a mold ,its just Colored resin,,,, thats what gives it the high luster ,gel coat DONT spray like paint it rippples ,,,it should be NO thicker than 7~10 mm,,,In general gelcoat should not excede around .030 of an inch a 1/4 inch is .250
in reality you could build it up thick , but it will probably be too brittle and crack again. WHATS UP WITH THOSE DIVOTS IN YOUR BOAT ,,,it did come out good ,,,But did you do it right the first time ??? you have to fill those craters more than once ???you dont call a Mastercraftmen a hack when you dont know what your talking about ,I've been doing gelcoat repairs over 40 years ...who wants to take 3 days to fix stuff ,when it should take 15 mins,,,you have NO idea on how to fix 250 cracks,,,I do and I did it...

grant_west 12-29-2017 4:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes Moose your right I’m a total hack with no street cred! I have no idea what I’m doing. What was I thinking. On a serious note. Sorry if I insulted you and your work. Let’s just call it a day and have a beer. Happy New Year to you. I got out on the water today Lake Don Pedro this time pretty amazing we are having a awesome winter.

bass10after 12-29-2017 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1972703)
Yes Moose your right I’m a total hack with no street cred! I have no idea what I’m doing. What was I thinking. On a serious note. Sorry if I insulted you and your work. Let’s just call it a day and have a beer. Happy New Year to you. I got out on the water today Lake Don Pedro this time pretty amazing we are having a awesome winter.

thats more like it! Actually you were in my neck of the woods coulda used a beer or two

jonblarc7 12-30-2017 6:13 PM

Grant I sent you a PM

downfortheride 12-31-2017 2:40 PM

This thread is a hoot!
G that Natique is SWEET!!!

Reddog78 01-04-2018 5:34 AM

Grant you wanna sell that boat yet?

grant_west 01-04-2018 1:09 PM

Sure: what’s your offer?

Reddog78 01-07-2018 7:11 PM

Half a bitcoin!?

grant_west 01-07-2018 8:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow the generosity of strangers! Can I throw in some money for Gas so your not out?

matty_gs 03-31-2018 2:14 PM

Can we have one post where people don't trash each other the whole time? This forum used to be about spreading joy. Now it's just squeaky wheels picking on each other the whole time.