WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   2014 Xstar (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799417)

mikejones 08-05-2013 4:51 PM

2014 Xstar

1 Attachment(s)
My new boat is scheduled to be delivered this weekend, or early next week. I'm wondering how those with the current gen (2012+) xstar are weighting the boat. Its coming with the plug and play which will add sacs hard piped to the rear and bow compartments, but is anyone adding more weight? I've got several sacs left over from the previous boat and am thinking of at least throwing a 550# sac in each mid-cabin compartment. Thoughts/recommendations?

Attachment 31170

brichter14 08-05-2013 5:00 PM

I like the green seats. That it all I can contribute.

superair502 08-05-2013 5:08 PM

everyithing I heard when I rode it and from others was that it likes as much weight in the back as possible and too much up from makes it less clean, which doesnt make any physics sense but it seemed to be true.

mikejones 08-05-2013 5:11 PM

Anyone know whats the weight of the sacs that come with the plug and play option?

hunter660 08-05-2013 5:25 PM

All of them I have seen on the water ride with the bow way up in the air so what Mase said may be true.

scottb7 08-05-2013 7:05 PM

Yep, there is one on my lake with bow way up in the air. No thanks.

jkanesmith 08-05-2013 7:47 PM

Badass looking boat! I like it, but that black's going to get hot, at least it would down here in southeast Texas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

wakebordr11 08-05-2013 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones (Post 1837362)
Anyone know whats the weight of the sacs that come with the plug and play option?

Did you really buy a boat without a build sheet to understand what all the options entailed? You dropped the coin, you should be telling us how much ballast it comes with................

schmo 08-06-2013 5:05 AM

Do the bags even come with the plug and play option? I thought that was just to have the plumbing and it was up to the end user to add the bags. I could very well be wrong.

However, with that said, Wakemakers has the bag kit. Says it adds close to 1600lbs for a total of around 2300lbs.

http://www.wakemakers.com/2013-maste...play-sacs.html

mikejones 08-06-2013 5:40 AM

Yes, the bags come with the plug and play kit. They are provided/purchased by the dealer rather than the factory due to USCG weight requirements. Something odd about that link above, stock is 1400lbs, if its adding 1600 that would be ~3klbs.

Of course I did not buy a boat of this value without a build sheet. The option for plug n play just happened to come with bags specific to the boat. I haven't been able to find out the size of said bags, hence the post.

schmo 08-06-2013 6:40 AM

Here is the exact kit from FlyHigh which states a capacity of 1450lbs. More than likely what the dealer installs. The other thing to consider is that many times, the bags won't completely fill to 100% capacity. Still, with 1400 stock, it would seem you would get more than 2300 total.
http://fatsac.com/fatsacs.bifh

#W049
2013 X-Star Ballast Sacs
1450 lbs. / 657 kg.
4 sacs, fittings included

Fixable 08-06-2013 6:51 AM

Mike- I can help.

Nice looking boat.

There are a few options for the ballast bags. I believe the latest wakemakers setup is 2 500s in the lockers and 2 300s up front. When I got my 13 XStar, I purchased the 750lb bags for the last gen Xstar, and they fit perfect. (That was also what they recommended at the time). I use a single 400, up front, as needed (hardly ever. only use it when surfing stbd)

If you are going to surf a lot, get a 1000lb for your coffin.

One thing that you may want to consider- Because the XStar rear tanks have a section that runs up to the height of the rubrail, and because the ballast timers are programmable, you can actually piggy back them off of the fill hose (not the vent), and they will fill evenly with your rear tanks. This means, that once you have adjusted your timers, and let the boat learn the new ballast capacity, (uses the level sensor and measures the pump revolutions to calibrate) Your ballast gauges will indicate the level of your total ballast in each rear compartment. This is extremely handy because you always know how much total ballast there is, and you never have to check on the bags. It is just like you installed a 1250lb single tank on each side. Works very slick.

Because I didn't use the PNP for my rear bags, I use it to fill my 1000lb Surf bag in the coffin. Everything done from the helm, with very accurate level readings.

Teamcanada 08-06-2013 9:33 AM

So can you show us some surf pics with your star setup? I would love to see that.

Fixable 08-06-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamcanada (Post 1837503)
So can you show us some surf pics with your star setup? I would love to see that.

Ya, I gotta take a bunch of surf photos one of these days. For some reason we are not a very "photo happy" crew. We will be out this weekend, and I will try to remember to snap a bunch and post them.

mikejones 08-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1837455)
Mike- I can help.

Nice looking boat.

There are a few options for the ballast bags. ...

Thanks for the info Eric. So your standard riding setup is two 750's in the rear and the 3 hard tanks full? Wow, this thing must love weight in the rear.

I have a 1000lb bag, but the coffin is not an option as thats where the subs are going. I was thinking of using the cooler space (500lb bag) and the port bow sac from the kit for a surf setup.

Thats an interesting idea about piggy backing the bags off the fill line. I'll have to tinker with that once I get it.

So how does the PNP work with the gauges/ballast readings if used how intended? Would you just fill the ballasts until they spit out the sides, then you'd know that the bags are full also?

One more thing, when you snap some surf pics, grab some photos of the cooler area, and the same location on the starboard side if you don't mind.

Thanks for the great info!

brichter14 08-06-2013 8:54 PM

I watched Parks ride behind a 13 xstar a few months ago and he didn't want ANY front weight. We had stock ballast full (I have no idea how much that was) and like 10 ppl in the back of the boat. His riding was sick but like I said, no weight up front.

laptom 08-06-2013 11:47 PM

Nose high!

Nice colors, enjoy the ride!

Fixable 08-07-2013 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones (Post 1837544)
Thanks for the info Eric. So your standard riding setup is two 750's in the rear and the 3 hard tanks full? Wow, this thing must love weight in the rear.

I have a 1000lb bag, but the coffin is not an option as thats where the subs are going. I was thinking of using the cooler space (500lb bag) and the port bow sac from the kit for a surf setup.

Thats an interesting idea about piggy backing the bags off the fill line. I'll have to tinker with that once I get it.

So how does the PNP work with the gauges/ballast readings if used how intended? Would you just fill the ballasts until they spit out the sides, then you'd know that the bags are full also?

One more thing, when you snap some surf pics, grab some photos of the cooler area, and the same location on the starboard side if you don't mind.

Thanks for the great info!

Yes, I run with the front tank full, and the rear ballast at 80%. Which is about 1000lbs per side in the back. If I fill to 100% in the rear, I put somebody up in the bow, so that the driver can still see from a seated position. You will find that MC puts a taller helm seat in the XStar. That was the first thing I loved about this boat. The taller helm seat is much more comfortable for me, and I am not very tall.....

If using PNP, as they intended, your tanks will fill normally, and give you readings based on the ballast pump revolutions and tank level sensors. The system calculates both for more accurate readings. Your bags will be activated separately, and those will calculate levels based on pump revolutions only. The bags are not vented, so you use the fill gauges to know if they are full. (the first few times, you will want to adjust your timers, and watch the bags. Once the system has learned the bag size, you should be all set)

If you are going to surf this boat, you will want a different location for your subs. Put them up in the huge compartment behind the observer seat...

Fixable 08-07-2013 5:43 AM

Actually went out for a little bit last night and snapped a few shots. I didn't see that you wanted the compartment photos before I went out. I will try to get those this weekend.

Only three of us went out, so not as good as when we have a few people to sit in the surf corner, instead of 1 100lb girl....... but it will give you an idea of what the surf wave looks like on the XStar. 4 or 5 people, on the boat, provides a taller wave, but it was still pretty good considering.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pse1d3cc86.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps4e85b0c5.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps44057bd8.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psc6adcafb.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps76a56c8b.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psfb70090f.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps0686a7ea.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps53a74bba.jpg

pierce_bronkite 08-07-2013 7:39 AM

Black vinyl.

Fixable 08-07-2013 7:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite (Post 1837689)
Black vinyl.

And?

Teamcanada 08-07-2013 7:53 AM

That wave looks pretty good. Certainly dispels the myth that the new star won't surf.

pierce_bronkite 08-07-2013 9:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1837691)
And?

I am just amazed that MC sells so many boats with that dark color vinyl. It certainly looks good but I could never fully understand the practicality of it. In Texas light grey vinyl will give you 2nd degree burns. ;)
In any event the wave looks good.

Fixable 08-07-2013 9:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite (Post 1837712)
I am just amazed that MC sells so many boats with that dark color vinyl. It certainly looks good but I could never fully understand the practicality of it. In Texas light grey vinyl will give you 2nd degree burns. ;)
In any event the wave looks good.

Typically, I would agree. However, this new type of vinyl, that MC uses, stays very cool. The black definitely gets warmer than the white, but it stays cooler than regular white vinyl does. The sun isn't as bad up here, obviously, but I have never been uncomfortable sitting down on this vinyl after it bakes in the sun. On the same day, I could sit in one of my friends boats, with traditional white vinyl, and have it be too hot to sit on.

It is a little more difficult to clean because of the texture, but not too bad.

mikejones 08-07-2013 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1837723)
Typically, I would agree. However, this new type of vinyl, that MC uses, stays very cool. The black definitely gets warmer than the white, but it stays cooler than regular white vinyl does. The sun isn't as bad up here, obviously, but I have never been uncomfortable sitting down on this vinyl after it bakes in the sun. On the same day, I could sit in one of my friends boats, with traditional white vinyl, and have it be too hot to sit on.

It is a little more difficult to clean because of the texture, but not too bad.

I had the same skepticism before I selected the interior choices. However, my dealer (in July south Louisiana sun) took me out to a boat he had in the sun for hours on his lake, and we felt the new vinyl, both black and other dark colors. I definitely noticed, even the black, was cooler than my white interior vinyl of my last MC, circa 2009.

How is it more difficult to clean? Its definitely more porous, which what keeps it cooler, but how is it tougher to clean? I've ordered some performance boat candy products to try when she comes in.

mikejones 08-07-2013 6:08 PM

Also Eric, what are you referring to as the coffin? I assumed you mean the large area behind/under the observer seat. Where exactly are you putting the 1000lb bag? Whats the rest of your surf setup? 750 in the port rear, stock full? Thanks!

Fixable 08-08-2013 7:44 AM

The coffin is the side compartment that is across from the cooler compartment.... The side bench seat.....

As you know, my tanks and bags are linked together in the back, so that I can have gauge readings on the bags as well. My surf setup (surfing port) is port locker bag+tank full, stbd locker bag+tank 80%, front tank full, and 1000 lb full in the coffin. With that setup, I will usually put two people up in the bow. The setup in the photos was a little different because I didn't have anyone to sit in the bow, or the port side back. It was port locker 80%, stbd locker 30%, front tank full, and about 80% full on the coffin bag. If I had used my usual ballast levels, I would have had to put a 400 up front. The nose rides to high if I don't have at least 1 person sitting up there. I had left that bag on the dock because I didn't think I would need it.

I like the fact that you can run 900-1000lbs in the non surf side of this boat. It really makes it more stable when you are stopping/turning around for a rider etc. The Star putts out a nicer wave if you don't lean hard to the surf side. This boat is really funny like that. It loves to be weighted in a way that would kill the surf waves on most other boats.

kimper 08-09-2013 9:13 AM

Nice looking wave! Post us some boat pics!

mikejones 08-30-2013 5:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Going pick her up this morning...

Attachment 31628

axxxiswake 08-30-2013 6:19 AM

The X-Star is, IMO, the ONLY boat that looks good with that lime green. And man does it look good.

johnny_defacto 08-30-2013 2:01 PM

yeah man, I like it. Congratulations, going to finish the summer off strong!

bmock50 08-31-2013 1:20 AM

You bastard....haha sick boat!!!

cwb4me 08-31-2013 3:00 AM

Congratulations on your new boat. Looks great!

jtiblier123 08-31-2013 4:39 AM

Esteban looks great in that thing...Can you even run that thing in Lake 2 without dredging?

jtiblier123 08-31-2013 4:43 AM

Great looking boat by the way

gti2lo 09-02-2013 2:54 PM

That is a good looking X-star. Like how the metalic is in withe green and black

DatTexasBoy 09-02-2013 3:09 PM

Great looking boat man!!!

mikejones 09-04-2013 2:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments guys. I was able to get the engine broken in last weekend, and get a few sets behind it. I rode at 75', 23.6mph, tanks full, PNP rear sacs full, and bow sacs at 40%. The wake seemed only slightly larger than my previous x45 setup (similar weight), but was much cleaner, it has a lip, but less lippy than the 45, and it pops you effortlessly. Slack line tricks and spins felt more floaty and tight line tricks out into the flats seem to carry further (45 wake was wider in comparison).

One question I have for Eric is when you pull the throttle all the way back when a rider falls, do you get a splash/prop wash all on the back deck? I do when I pull it quickly back to neutral as a rider falls. sometimes it comes over the rear seats and splashes the flip seat and carpet beneath. So what Ive done is pull off, and let the prop wash chase me by accelerating after I've dethrottled. This makes for a long turnaround to pickup a rider. Any other experience this?

Thanks! Oh, couple more pics...

Attachment 31695
Attachment 31696
Attachment 31697

pierce_bronkite 09-04-2013 3:08 PM

Usually pictures dont do the boat any justice but in this case that X-Star looks very badass! I cant imagine what it looks like in person. Congrats.

Fixable 09-04-2013 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones (Post 1843054)

One question I have for Eric is when you pull the throttle all the way back when a rider falls, do you get a splash/prop wash all on the back deck? I do when I pull it quickly back to neutral as a rider falls. sometimes it comes over the rear seats and splashes the flip seat and carpet beneath. So what Ive done is pull off, and let the prop wash chase me by accelerating after I've dethrottled. This makes for a long turnaround to pickup a rider. Any other experience this?

Go into your user settings and reduce the speed that auto launch kicks in. (Pretty sure reducing it, was what got rid of it on mine) What is happening, is that your attitude plate is going down and it will kick water up through the wake, and onto the back.

If you are really heavily weighted, and stopping way to fast, you may need to change the routine a little bit. Its hard to avoid a wake washing over if you stop fast with a lot of ballast on....... Which would be the case in almost all boats, especially Nautiques (Because of the walk through)

On another note, if you want to grow that wake, empty the bow sacks. I usually ride the "nose down" wake as well, just because I don't need it HUGE. However it is fun to weight the heck out of the back and scare myself sometimes! :D

Pad1Tai 09-04-2013 4:13 PM

Congrats .... What prop do the new Xstar's come with?... size?

MCObray 09-04-2013 5:39 PM

Sharp looking Star. Tinted windshield would further set it off... just sayin'.

mikejones 09-05-2013 11:01 AM

Eric - i adjusted the auto launch as low as I could. It only allows for adjustment between 14-20mph, so I put it at 14mph. It was at 15mph. Not sure if that will help much but I'll let you know.

Charlie - not sure of exact prop size, i know I got the prop option that goes with the added weight of the PNP.

Mason - its on my list of may things...

lifetimewarranty 09-05-2013 3:02 PM

Like your ego needs any more boosting but that is one of the sweetest boats I've seen this year.

Well played sir. Well played.

dezul 09-05-2013 6:53 PM

Can i get a pull brah? Love it.

MIKEnNC 09-18-2013 5:40 PM

I can't stop admiring ur boat man,,,,, just sick, and I am a nautique guy but damn I love ur xstar, so loud but mean at the same time

mikejones 09-18-2013 6:59 PM

Ahaha thanks dude. Thats pretty much what I was going for, loud and mean. Someone called it a green goblin transformer the other day. :rolleyes::D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

cbarguy1 09-19-2013 7:52 AM

That last picture is money. Mastercraft should post it on their website. I had not warmed up to the new star until I saw that.

Taking on water when loaded is part of owning an X*. Its the price you pay for the sleek lines. If you had enough freeboard to prevent it, it would look like a G23.

wakebordr11 09-19-2013 8:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbarguy1 (Post 1845687)
That last picture is money. Mastercraft should post it on their website. I had not warmed up to the new star until I saw that.

Taking on water when loaded is part of owning an X*. Its the price you pay for the sleek lines. If you had enough freeboard to prevent it, it would look like a G23.

If you had enough freeboard to prevent it, you wouldn't be able to see over the nose while on plane.,..

bruizza 09-26-2013 1:47 PM

That is an absolutely gorgeous boat! Black and Green is growing on me something serious after those pictures!

grant_west 09-26-2013 2:10 PM

That's a great looking boat. And the color of the water just adds to the over all coolness of the photo. The silver metal flake add's another dimension. Personally I was getting pretty tired of the Black and Green (monster energy colors) but the silver flake sets it off. I never thought I would be a fan of Black and Green interior but your boat looks cool

Fixable 09-26-2013 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbarguy1 (Post 1845687)

The kicker about that, is, when you have that much freeboard, the boat mfg. will usually do a walk-through like the G has (to avoid having to step so high to get on the sunpad)...... And because of that, it is very easy to have the wave come over the back of a G. Definitely easier than an XStar, in my experience..... Especially when surfing.

Mike- did you figure out how to change the plate to avoid the rooster tail coming over? If not, I will get into my settings, and take a photo for you, the next time I am out at the lake house.

mikejones 09-26-2013 3:38 PM

It won't let me adjust below 14mph and still washes . Take a pic of yours if you don't mind.

mikejones 09-28-2013 10:24 AM

Dealer says a software update is available that will fix the plate issue and it's currently being tested with a few pro boats. Should be Available the public in a few weeks.

mikejones 11-06-2013 8:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go Kirk...

Attachment 32655

Attachment 32656

Attachment 32657

Attachment 32658

WLF 11-06-2013 1:37 PM

Thanks Mike...it is beautiful!!!

davez71 11-06-2013 4:14 PM

Beautiful boat where do you keep it in Louisiana? If you ever need a third I would love to ride the next Xstar.

mikejones 11-09-2013 9:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davez71 (Post 1852115)
Beautiful boat where do you keep it in Louisiana? If you ever need a third I would love to ride the next Xstar.

Its kept in diversion canal near blind river. We're always looking for a third, where are you located?

davez71 11-10-2013 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones (Post 1852420)
Its kept in diversion canal near blind river. We're always looking for a third, where are you located?

If You ever need a third Iet me know. I live in Baton Rouge. I keep my X45 in Mississippi on the Jourdan River. I grew up around where the blind river starts so we used go down the diversion canal a lot when I was a kid and I know the area pretty well.