WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   New system almost done. 3800w Alpine PDX / lots of wet sounds (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779289)

UNvisible 05-07-2010 5:12 PM

New system almost done. 3800w Alpine PDX / lots of wet sounds

http://i39.tinypic.com/15mmzc8.jpg

That's the only teaser for now.

I *finally* have everthing fabbed up ready to drop in, that should happen tomorrow. I've been running ALL new speaker wire, ALL new power wire, and of course several sets of RCAs for the last 2 days. I cant believe it's finally coming together.

Final specs:

5 Alpine PDX's 3800w
(2) 4.150's (wet sounds)
(2) 1.1000's (subs)
(1) 4.150 (interior JL 650's)

Subs:
(2) JL 13w3v3's 3cf sealed enclosure
(1) Kicker 15" L7 in 3cf ported enclosure

Interior:
(6) JL 650CCX

Tower:
(4) Wet sounds Pro 485's

Battery:
(4) kinetik 2400's for audio only
(2) optima yellow for engine and driving audio while running.

Will post more pics as the weekend progresses and the install finishes up.

I also have 10 feet of LED strips in the interior and 6 projection LED's for under water...

no_really 05-07-2010 7:52 PM

Wow-just wow!

ryanbush11 05-08-2010 4:56 AM

more pics please.... thanks going to ROCK!!!!

hatepain 05-08-2010 6:21 AM

Show is your O face!

Wow man thats going to be quite a system and very effecient with the Alpine set up. Looking forward to the install pictures.

Whats the story with the subs being different? Tuning sealed enclosures and ported enclosures can present a challenge in the same sound field without getting canceling.

ryanbush11 05-08-2010 6:26 AM

Hate,

tell me more about this sound cancelling.... i've got a 10 in a sealed box and a 15 ported in my boat

UNvisible 05-08-2010 6:52 AM

Because of their orientation, I dont think sound cancellation will be much of an issue. The reason the subs are different anyway is because i'm building on top of a system I built for my boat last year. Once things are together (TODAY HOPEFULLY!!!!) I will find out if i have enough sub to combat those dang wet sounds (:D). If i dont I'll be ripping out the kicker box and the JL box and selling them (real nice custom enclosure for JL's a 210) and doing two more ported boxes with some DD 9515's.

hatepain 05-08-2010 7:07 AM

Ryan, how the boxes are tuned and phase cancelling from two different subs/enclosure types. The sound waves get out of phase and cancel each other out when they enter the same sound field. The enclosures help the speaker generate sound waves but a ported enclosre does it differently than a sealed enclosure hence the reason they have different sound qualitites and require more or less power.

Matt 05-08-2010 7:09 AM

I like the parts list... Gonna be massive... Cant wait to see the pics...

I'm also digging the boat slip... I'm green with envy.. Out here you cant own waterfront with a dock & it sucks...

UNvisible 05-08-2010 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatepain (Post 1582855)
Ryan, how the boxes are tuned and phase cancelling from two different subs/enclosure types. The sound waves get out of phase and cancel each other out when they enter the same sound field. The enclosures help the speaker generate sound waves but a ported enclosre does it differently than a sealed enclosure hence the reason they have different sound qualitites and require more or less power.

I understand what you're saying, but because of their orientation / location on the boat, I'm not sure it will be an issue. Only one way to find out! Understand I have such a little boat with limited space, I'm doing my best to build enclosures with very little interior intrusion. If that fails, like i said, i'll just have to pony up with a couple SPL woofers. ;)

hatepain 05-08-2010 7:52 AM

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you just answering Ryans question. If they're far enough apart you should be fine.

bawshogg 05-08-2010 8:04 AM

So necessary. Glad I don't live by you. Holy cow.

UNvisible 05-08-2010 8:10 AM

Ah I was confused because my name is Ryan also.

ryanbush11 05-08-2010 8:43 AM

thanks hate, sorry to confuse you UN

ryanbush11 05-11-2010 12:49 PM

any pics yet?

rebelman10 05-11-2010 1:04 PM

Give us a youtube video not some lame pics. I wanna hear!! Show us decibel meter.

srock 05-11-2010 1:19 PM

hello neighbors

UNvisible 05-12-2010 5:06 PM

Sorry guys, had to make a few last minute changes to the amp rack, and work has been hounding me this week... Trust me, I want it done more than you guys do :)

UNvisible 05-14-2010 1:13 PM

so close, but now it's pouring down rain, just my luck! Need to start breaking in the subs!

UNvisible 05-23-2010 5:59 PM

All done! Damn it's loud LOL. I have a few more interior panels to install and button up some wiring runs to clean up the install, then it's picture time...

tabasco1 05-24-2010 11:12 AM

What is your setup for isolating and charging the batteries?

UNvisible 05-24-2010 2:22 PM

Thats what I havent finished yet is the battery install. STill waiting on a few more parts. The batteries will be independant from the boat's charging system. I will use a normal battery charger at the dock...

UNvisible 05-25-2010 4:27 PM

Here she is, finally done and ready for memorial day. I'm really happy with how the amp box came out. Unfortunately, I think i'm trying to get too much sound output from my little old school 210 super air :( I will definitely have to be cautious with water on the carpet around the amp box... but with how big my under dash sub box is, i really ran out of room to house all 5 PDX amps... I'm also going to recarpet the sub box behind the drivers seat with the carpet i did the amp box in.. as it matches much better.. Will update in a bit with some LED pics, once it's darker outside. Sorry for the blurry pics.. crappy point and shoot!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2hi8p7d.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/28wfb7o.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2niy71g.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2eussvk.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/rutbid.jpg

hatepain 05-25-2010 4:41 PM

Gotta love the Alpines being stackable like that. Dude, if you turned that sub enclosure into a seat or at least had it covered the same as the interior it would look sick! Anyway good job and thanks for sharing your build.

UNvisible 05-25-2010 4:57 PM

the sub box has a flat spot on it that is built in to use it as a seat and step. I couldnt get the volume I needed and make it small enough to make it into a seat. OH well. I like it.

UNvisible 05-26-2010 6:34 AM

well, i got home too late last night to take pics of LED's. I was really tired. I'm sure there will be another opportunity

olskooltige 05-26-2010 7:00 AM

It's going to be loud and looks good. Also if you figure out some way to vent the storage for the sub, it will be louder. I really need to do mine. There's quite a difference between having the hatch open and closed.

I am not a fan of the 4 wetsounds.

UNvisible 05-26-2010 7:33 AM

Yeah, I havent actually played the sub w/ the interior back together, so I'm not sure how bad it will suffocate the sub under the dash.... I'm sure I'll end up venting it...

The wet sounds arent meant to look pretty, they are meant to mean business ;)

grant_west 05-26-2010 7:36 AM

In gonna break my own rule: If you dont have anything nice to say then STFU. That being said I will be nice.

Im all for you filling your tower with what ever you like but IMO tower speakers on the top of the tower don't look good IMO.

My list of priorties go's like this #1 FORM it must look good. if it dosen't pass #1 then it dosen't even get to go to #2 in a very close race for second and right behind first it MUST perform.

If you HAD to have the extra speakers then I would make sure it performed. I would do a test and see how much volume or better it sounded with the extra set.

Just looking at your boat and seeing how much tower speakers you have and how little Sub's you have I have a pretty good Idea what your system sounds like.

This post is ment to be constructieve I'm all for you filling your boat with what ever makes you happy. The only thing worse that tower speakers on top and and on the bottom is speakers facing forward IMO instant FAIL

UNvisible 05-26-2010 7:52 AM

Well grant, I respect your opinion.

While I dont think they 485's on the tower "look" great... they serve a purpose... Mostly they are there "because I can".. It's not a common set up, and frankly, no one else on my lake has done it. Why not be different? I hate the way 60's and 80's sound, so if 2 485's is good, then 4 must be great ;)

With respect to the sub situation, i think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the output of each of my boxes.... I do plan on swapping out the L7 with a DD9512 in the future, but it's not nearly as imbalaced as you might think. Having the towers on full tilt is unbearable, so balancing with the bass isnt nearly as hard.

stuntmonkey 05-26-2010 8:06 AM

I think you'll find that 2 x 485s will do exactly what your looking for, 4 is overkill and I bet by years end you'll be taking 2 off. Otherwise I love it, stackable amps look fantastic. Good job.

seth 05-26-2010 8:30 AM

Sub Vent

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I did for my sub vent on my 01 SAN.

UNvisible 05-26-2010 10:06 AM

I had two 485's all last season.. it was enough, you're right. But I wanted more... Like i said, the 4 pods arent there for function, they are there to be over the top. I'm happy with them.

UNvisible 05-26-2010 10:09 AM

one more pic

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4725738_n.jpg

hatepain 05-26-2010 10:37 AM

Hey homey I wan't dissin' on your box at all it looks like a nice build, just though it would be dope to have it covered to match the interior. All in all the set up is killer and looks damn fun and crazy loud. You should own your party cove ;)

olskooltige 05-26-2010 10:51 AM

Seth, I like it; simple and functional. Did you just use grill cloth? I need to do this soon.

factorykitted 05-26-2010 10:51 AM

"should" is the key word ;) I cant wait to here it

UNvisible 05-26-2010 11:02 AM

i'll be swapping subs by mid summer i think, once i do that , it will be game over for you and tim@wetsounds :D

factorykitted 05-26-2010 11:04 AM

talk is cheap :)

UNvisible 05-26-2010 11:11 AM

couple of these should do me just fine

http://www.ddaudio.com/GalleryWoofer...g_TopAngle.jpg

factorykitted 05-26-2010 11:21 AM

get six 18'' DD's

UNvisible 05-26-2010 11:24 AM

yeah, and while i'm at it, i'll just build the box into the back seats. Rip out the vinyl and glass the whole thing in LOL.

shawnmdarnell 05-26-2010 3:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this...

Attachment 4117

UNvisible 05-27-2010 9:01 PM

exactly what i'm talking about LOL that looks so horrible.

shawnmdarnell 05-27-2010 9:09 PM

LOL, I agree! When is enough, enough?

bawshogg 05-27-2010 9:17 PM

Not that I don't like loud music, but this is the kind of crap that gets legislation inacted. It's not too long before this type of wreckless abuse of sound will be banned at lakes/rivers around the country. All you have to do is piss off the wrong guy. It's already happening here,and they also taking away our wakes in the Portland area because a few homeowners didn't like there docks being waked out. Someone pitched a wake or had obscene music while someone important was trying to go for a cruise in they're kayak now they wan't to take away the best ride spot in the downtown area. Just wait. It will all be gone before you know it Just be responsible with it ,it's all I can hope.

factorykitted 05-27-2010 11:01 PM

^ calm down

clayton191 05-27-2010 11:36 PM

Here is my defense to really loud stereo system arguments. I've not seen patrolmen pulling over 40 ft. hotboats with twin blown 502 engines hauling ass down our lake blaring 210db from their exhausts... therefore, stereos are cool. I would suggest that people respect others and not bump obscene songs unless appropriate (hint: party cove with stripper poles, drunk chicks, and insanely old fat dudes holding handles of vodka)...

Some people hate randoms standing on the side of the road preaching the gospel ... the flipside is bible-slingers hate hearing two-short talk about getting his wanker sucked while grandma is admiring their new dock.... Its a mutual respect thing...

t0nyv831 05-28-2010 3:39 AM

^^^^ What he said... There's a time and place for everything.

bawshogg 05-28-2010 6:44 AM

Don't worry. I am not heated at all. Just been around long enough to know that when things get taken to excess, they get taken away. Watched it happen with everything I have ever been involved in. Don't get it twisted. I like systems. I just think when they are that blatently overdone you are asking for trouble, that's all. Definetly have to use alot of descretion with as much projection that you have at your control. The "becuase I can " attitude will always get someone's attention that has the cababilty to tell ya "no you can't" in some way or another.

UNvisible 05-28-2010 6:50 AM

The only thing I'll say about the capability of annoying people my system has is this:

I can cause as much trouble with a pair of 80's, a single 485, or a pair of old skylon's over amp'd. In the end it's the user that causes the trouble. Guns dont kill people, people kill people....

bawshogg 05-28-2010 7:36 AM

You could, But there is probably not a speaker on the market that has the sheer volume of those 485's. and you have 4! I agrree with you about Guns. To many people are not educated on that fact, but ALOT of people still wanna take them away. I have several, and I have a couple concealed carry permits. There is a reason they are concealed. What would happen if I walked into the local Taco Bell with four .44 mags strapped to my belt?I am gonna get some negative attention , legal or not. And you know what happens form there. I am not HATING on your system. It's fine with me. I will never hear it. Just been thinkin about this alot lately with what has been going on locally.

boardnxtx 05-28-2010 8:50 AM

I agree that there is a time and a place. Party coves that are tucked away and not bothering the entire lake are fine by me. You can blare your system for the whole cove if you like, but that is the sole reason I don't get stuck next to someone with a system like that. I hate being forced to listen to someone else tastes of music. Even worse is when the "my d**k is bigger than yours" battle starts, and everyone with a loud system tries to drown the other ones out.

Unvisible, I may be the minority here by thinking that different is good, and your system looks good. I don't think the speakers on top look terrible, given that you have the lower portion full as well. Now when people just put speakers on top, and not hanging below, I'm not a fan of that. I've only got a pair of Pro80's with 6-650's and a XXX. My system does me just fine. But, it may not be what everyone else is looking for. To each his own.

I will say that I have made the mistake of blaring inappropriate music around an older crowd one time, and I got yelled at for it. Since then, I've never done it again and I've tried to be respectful when touring the lakes and I usually never have my 80's on when other people/boats are around that I know don't want to listen to my crap. It's all about respect.