WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Lithium jump starters (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806422)

CenCalLakes 05-25-2016 7:57 AM

Lithium jump starters

I have found a lot of information and threads regarding the lithium jump starters but haven't been able to definitively answer. Would one of this lithium jump starters work well with a carbureted points ignition system?

My '89 ski Brendella with a 351 ford starts usually first second try and I most of these lithium jump packs say they can start multiple times before having to re-charge. I'm looking for something I can store easily as we are very limited on space.

Would it be safe to go with a lithium starter kit for emergencies or are those really only ideal for electronic ignition and fuel injected?

grant_west 05-25-2016 8:08 AM

12 volts is 12 volts. Doesn't matter if it's coming from a flooded lead acid battery ( traditional battery chemistry) or a lithium battery.

Lithium doesn't change anything. Lithium is only the material used to hold energy. Think of a battery like a sponge. It doesn't matter what material the sponge is as long as what you putting into the sponge is all the same.

CenCalLakes 05-25-2016 8:17 AM

Sweet thanks, I think it was all the technical data that everyone likes to post out there that was confusing me.

grant_west 05-25-2016 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem. I'm Intrested to see what a lithium jumper pack looks like I use this jumper pack and it works awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JF..._1464203492954

CenCalLakes 05-25-2016 4:05 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL7502-i.../dp/B00MNT0K5Q

This is the one I have been looking into. Says it's good up to a V10 and has some good reviews. I like the lithium packs because they are so small and I am very limited on space.

bcrider 05-25-2016 4:31 PM

^^ My neighbor just showed me the one he got last night which is the same as that. It's amazing the size of these things and what they can jump. Great for boat use for sure.

stanfield 05-25-2016 4:53 PM

I don't know squat about these lithium boxes or how they are sealed. That being said, lithium and water create a violent chemical reaction. That would be my concern and what I would look into.

CenCalLakes 05-25-2016 5:30 PM

That's a good point I can't find much details on what the lithium is sealed in. I think the small lithium batteries are sealed within like a patrollium jelly material maybe these are the same.
I just looked it up and lithium creates hydrogen when it reacts with water which is flammable. It would be a good idea to check how it is sealed.

CALIV210 05-26-2016 7:24 AM

They work great and there small and usually come in a nice carry pack with a bunch of attachments and ways to charge them you do need to recharge them every 3-4 months to keep them fresh . I recommend buying one of the ones with a larger mah rating ..what the mah is is basically like the size of the fuel tank the more mah the better the longer it will throw down jumping power . Look for one that says it will jump diesel engines those are usually the better ones . You can also use them to charge laptops and phones and tablets . There pretty cool

cadunkle 05-30-2016 3:18 AM

For what that costs you could add a second or third battery. If you're having starting issues I'd figure out what's wrong and fix it. Also money would be better going toward an electronic ignition pickup or a new modern distributor if yours is totally worn out.

bass10after 05-30-2016 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadunkle (Post 1936379)
For what that costs you could add a second or third battery. If you're having starting issues I'd figure out what's wrong and fix it. Also money would be better going toward an electronic ignition pickup or a new modern distributor if yours is totally worn out.

sometimes you want to have a solution at hand in case its your brain that needs fixing and you left something on. In those instances the smaller the backup plan, the better as it hopefully doesn't get used too often. The question i have is that the lithium batteries on my drone aren't supposed to be stored at full charge for more than a couple of days or supposedly they can be damaged. I haven't looked into it, but if that is the case it would make lithium batteries pretty impractical for this and many other applications

grant_west 05-30-2016 9:31 AM

Lithium is a generic term there are many many different types of lithium batteries each one of them has their own properties good in that most likely the batteries that are in your drone are lithium polymer or commonly known as la lithium is a generic term there are many many different types of lithium batteries each one of them has their own properties good in that most likely the batteries that are in your drone are lithium polymer or commonly known as "liPo". They do not like to be stored for more than a few weeks at full charge yes. I'm sure the jumper pack is a different battery chemistry that has no problem being stored at full. Most likely the lithium pack has a voltage cut off and won't allow you to charge the battery fully because jumper packs tend to stay charged all the time

CALIV210 05-31-2016 8:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass10after (Post 1936380)
sometimes you want to have a solution at hand in case its your brain that needs fixing and you left something on. In those instances the smaller the backup plan, the better as it hopefully doesn't get used too often. The question i have is that the lithium batteries on my drone aren't supposed to be stored at full charge for more than a couple of days or supposedly they can be damaged. I haven't looked into it, but if that is the case it would make lithium batteries pretty impractical for this and many other applications

100 percent agree ..or how about the time you or your buddy gets back to his truck after a long day on the water to find a map light or something was left on and killed the truck battery . Hook up the little magic box and go home lol