WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Slingshot native... any feedback? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809252)

Reez 12-20-2019 1:16 PM

Slingshot native... any feedback?

Im thinking about pulling the trigger on a native . Currently on a humanoid cameo but just wanted to try something different. Any one try one of these yet . 100 percent boat riding.

Andy_Mora 12-21-2019 4:41 AM

I haven't tried it yet either but am also interested in getting one. I used to ride the Recoil and Response for mostly just boat and loved both of them. The Native is apparently a combination of both.

Slinger 01-13-2020 10:39 AM

I have just recieved one. Will try on the weekend and let you know. Looks awesome. Recoil outline with a Response style rocker. i'm excited to ride it!

Reez 01-14-2020 3:45 AM

Awesome. I cant wait to get on one

stevo8290 01-16-2020 4:14 PM

Pretty interested in that board to say the least

Reez 02-15-2020 1:43 PM

Well I ordered one so I’ll post my feedback in a few months when the lakes thaw . Feedback on slingshot boots? I like the idea of the 3
Straps
On the Ktvs but I didn’t like the all Velcro versions . Will
Be 100 percent boat so the space mobs probably wouldn’t be a good fit. I like the gummy strap idea because Lace locks always fail or loosen .

Slinger 02-18-2020 7:34 AM

I've had mine awhile now, 100% boat riding. 100% love this board! Previously have rocked between the recoil and the response and more recently a season on the Pill a small time on an RXT then back on an Oli. Not totally happy on any of the last three.
Love the Native, great pop but predictable. Soft landings. Not locked in but not too skatey either. It actually lives unto its marketing hype video:)
Reez... I love the Gummy straps, way better than Velcro. I am however riding the Rad boot. The top gummy strap gives great comfort and flexibility while the bottom lace allows you to really lock your lower foot in. I have never had a problem with the lace locks on the gummy version of the Rads. prior models, yes.

Reez 02-21-2020 4:42 AM

If I was an 11.5 shoe should I go with an 11 slingshot boot or 12 ?

Slinger 02-21-2020 12:19 PM

Preferably try on but if you can't I'm almost certain that you would be a 12.

dyost 02-29-2020 5:12 PM

Man I was looking hard at this board for 2020, but now I’m considering a Nomad 155 also. Anyone ridden the Nomad, 2019 or newer, since they stiffened the board up a bit?

I love the idea of combining the Response (currently on one) and the Recoil (used to ride one), but I’m also intrigued by having an extra 5cm of board under me as I am 6’3”.

Any thoughts?

Ttime41 03-04-2020 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyost (Post 1995205)
Man I was looking hard at this board for 2020, but now I’m considering a Nomad 155 also. Anyone ridden the Nomad, 2019 or newer, since they stiffened the board up a bit?

I love the idea of combining the Response (currently on one) and the Recoil (used to ride one), but I’m also intrigued by having an extra 5cm of board under me as I am 6’3”.

Any thoughts?

You could always go with the Native 150! That should be plenty of board for your size, if you're riding boat that is. On cable a 155 might be more fun though!

I absolutely love my Native 144 behind the boat (5'10", 190lbs). The Response was my favorite board of all time, and it broke my heart when they went away from it and really didn't replace it with anything that had a vintage Slingshot feel. The Native delivers everything I loved about the response and more! Fast, but doesn't lock you on edge too much. It's playful when you're just buttering around, but it still pops really consistent off the wake. Overall I feel like this board embodies why a lot of us chose to ride a flex board behind the boat in the first place, which I don't think boards like the Oli, Pill, or Solo ever really did.

dyost 03-04-2020 9:53 AM

Ttime yeah I hear ya... Response was always a favorite of mine too. In fact up through last Nov when we stopped for winter I was still on a 2016 Response 147.

My Nomad should be waiting for me when I get home from work. Really hope I made the right call going this direction vs. the Native.

A 150 would be a size up from my current 147, but again watching video of me riding the 147 it still looks like a lunch tray under my 6’3” frame. Moving up to the 155 will add 1.5” to both tip and tail vs. my current board.

One thing I wasn’t sure about on the Native was the flex tips. I’ve not ridden a SS board with them so wasn’t sure how that would impact the pop. On the Slingshot board flex scale, they show the Nomad as stiffer than the Native.

By the way, I am 98% boat rider at this point so my Nomad will be primarily boat.

Good news is, I got a great deal on a 2019 close out ($280) so if it’s not a great fit I’m not out much and will get the Native anyway.

I also moved from 2016 RADS to KTV this year. So excited to try the gummy straps. My RAD laces and Velcro get a cinch-up after every fall, so annoying. I went with the 19s, also saved some cash and I like that color way better than the 2020. Not a fan of the lime green and the speckled lime green paint look on the soles.

Ttime41 03-05-2020 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyost (Post 1995292)
Ttime yeah I hear ya... Response was always a favorite of mine too. In fact up through last Nov when we stopped for winter I was still on a 2016 Response 147.

My Nomad should be waiting for me when I get home from work. Really hope I made the right call going this direction vs. the Native.

A 150 would be a size up from my current 147, but again watching video of me riding the 147 it still looks like a lunch tray under my 6’3” frame. Moving up to the 155 will add 1.5” to both tip and tail vs. my current board.

One thing I wasn’t sure about on the Native was the flex tips. I’ve not ridden a SS board with them so wasn’t sure how that would impact the pop. On the Slingshot board flex scale, they show the Nomad as stiffer than the Native.

By the way, I am 98% boat rider at this point so my Nomad will be primarily boat.

Good news is, I got a great deal on a 2019 close out ($280) so if it’s not a great fit I’m not out much and will get the Native anyway.

I also moved from 2016 RADS to KTV this year. So excited to try the gummy straps. My RAD laces and Velcro get a cinch-up after every fall, so annoying. I went with the 19s, also saved some cash and I like that color way better than the 2020. Not a fan of the lime green and the speckled lime green paint look on the soles.

Oh yeah, that's a great deal on the Nomad!

I know they advertise the Native as having "subtle flex tips" but I haven't noticed the tip and tail feeling any softer than a Response. Unless you are in need of a hybrid that can do both well but not necessarily the best, the Native is a little stiff for the cable if you ask me. I would say it definitely leans more towards the boat side as far as how it rides. With that said, it's definitely still a flex board, just like the old-school SlingShots. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Nomad as well! Excited to hear what you think.

Reez 03-05-2020 5:34 AM

I went the 144 native . I’m 6’0 190-200. I rode a 144 humanoid cAmeo and it was great so that’s what I went with on the native . They are about the same size
But the cameo seems
A lot thicker so I’m not sure how much that will come into play . Maybe I should have went with the 150 but I’m probably ok .

dyost 03-06-2020 2:36 PM

All goes to plan should have the first set on my Nomad this Sunday

Slinger 03-10-2020 6:34 AM

Ttime's description is spot on. Love this board. I'm on the 138 and 165lbs/5'10''. I did try the 144 the other day and it was also nice but not a fan of big boards so not for me.
I too was worried about the flex but when it turned up I discovered its actually pretty stiff between the boots and not that flexi in the tips either. Between the boots the Native is way stiffer than the Nomad and stiffer than the recoil/response ever was. The tips are probably about the same flex as the response was.
I have never ridden the Nomad so can't compare the ride, sorry.

dyost 03-15-2020 12:14 PM

Alright so was able to get the first set on the Nomad this afternoon and here are my initial thoughts.
BTW I am going from a 147 Response to a 155 Nomad.

First off, I definitely noticed the added size, in everything. Things like carving the wake, edging, bunny hop 180s, etc... even though only 1.5” extra on each end I definitely felt it there.

I seemed to be really having trouble finding the pop on this board heelside. Toe side was no problem, scarecrows, grabs, TS3... it was almost like the extra board helped me maintain a good edge and body position toeside. But for the life of me I could not get a good pop heelside. Was able to get backrolls, HS3s, etc... no problem I just couldn’t get a ton of pop out of the board.

As far as how it rode. I noticed right away it’s definitely softer than the Response. It did feel like the landings were pretty soft but again I wasn’t coming down from the heights I’m used to so hard to really tell if it’s the board or lack of height.

I jumped back on my Response for the second set today and felt way more comfortable. The board just felt more sporty and responsive (no pun intended...) The guys in the boat two of which I was riding with for the first time, said I looked like a completely different rider back on my old board.

I’m not going to give up on the Nomad just yet, this was my first set since mid November so I’ll reserve judgement till I give it a few more rides.

Javi 11-24-2020 2:41 PM

Anyone of you can compare the Solo to the Native? I see the Native is definitely wider. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs. Turning 40 and looking at getting a board that lands a bit softer. It will be 100% boat. I am very used to riding 3-stage and subtle 3-stage boards so I was leaning towards the Solo since the Native said its continuous. I normally don't ride huge wakes and use a board that gets a lot of pop of the lip to compensate. 3-stage usually does that for me. That's just what I've preferred rather than loading the boat like crazy. Plus my boat is older so loading it less helps it, and at my age, prevents me from doing something stupid and getting hurt, but I still can push myself with proper technique. Obviously, I can get used to continuous if its that much better of a board in terms of pop, response and landings.

So what do you think will perform better in smaller wakes on my Malibu V-ride, that will land softer if for example I throw a raley way past the wake and if its a matter of taste, how do the boards compare for those that have ridden both.