WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Labor Day Ramp Stories (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799798)

Bumpass1 09-01-2013 5:22 PM

Labor Day Ramp Stories

Ok so today at the ramp while I was attempting to load up I saw the following:

1. Some people don't seem to grasp the concept of "NO WAKE'

2. Buick LeSabre attempting to pull out a 21'-23' runabout. Yes front tires were spinning out of control!!

3. Me and my 9 year old just about got hit by some moron backing his trailer onto the ramp wwaaayyy too fast.

4. Watched same moron power his boat onto the trailer just to watch it slide back off. Once it started to slide off he did what any normal thinking Labor Day American would, Just put it in gear and then walk to the front of the boat to clip the bow eye. Wouldn't you do the same thing???

5. Attempted to back my trailer in to have a young fat mexican kid stand in the water on the ramp with a net chasing minnows.

6. Loaded my boat in less than a minute, turned around to check the position and saw 2 jetskis just floating away in the no wake zone.

God I hate Holidays. I know it is my own fault for going out, but I haven't had as many opportunities this season as in the past. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

idaho_hillbilly 09-01-2013 7:37 PM

We sometimes head down to the boat launch with our lawn chairs on holidays. It's like reality TV....but it's actually good! :D

Pretty uneventful today. I did almost back into a boat while I was launching, because the lady lost the boat and it was floating free at the ramp. It was completely sideways when I got to the water. The best part was the husband yelling at her to get the boat and he doing NOTHING because he didn't want to get wet. Some guy that was hanging out on the dock, jumped in and got the boat.

boardman74 09-01-2013 8:14 PM

Went to a really busy lake last weekend to meet a guy for a test drive. Would never go there as i knew it would be a zoo on a Sunday, plus the wind was blowing 30 plus MPH. I tried to convince the guy to go another time but he insisted, going to this lake in horrible conditions. While I was launching I saw some idiot take off on a jet ski from the ramp wide open. Never mind the no wake or the directional flow of the lake. He got a couple 100 yards out and turned to sharp and shot himself off the jet ski. Best part is he didn't have the lanyard on and after the ski slowed down it just did nice slow circles while he bobbed in the water 50 yards away. I would have went and helped but I had to follow the directional flow on the lake he had disregarded!! LOL I hate jet ski's on busy lakes. Not counting that I almost got hit twice in less than 45 minutes on the water. Then when I got back to the dock there was no space because people thought the dock was for tieing up and hanging out, never mind the people using the launch area for it's purpose!!

dvsone79 09-01-2013 8:55 PM

Got to the boat ramp on Saturday, and at first glance it looked like it was going to be a circus: lots of trucks with empty boat trailers, minivan peeling out of the parking lot, people fishing from the loading dock, etc. But it turned out to be one of the best days we've had this season. Water was smooth and all the zig-zaggers went up river so we went down and didn't see them again until 1pm or so, and by that time we had each taken 3 sets. I think most of the f*ck-tards were distracted by college football and forgot it was Labor Day weekend. They've no doubt remembered by now and will up the ante tomorrow. Should be entertaining.

rexlex01 09-01-2013 9:22 PM

I love how people unload their boat and wait by the boat on the dock holding it in the ramp area until the driver takes his time getting back to the boat because he is such a boat jock and will not teach his wife to simply to pull it around to the other side if the dock. Him has to be big boy and tell his ego that he is the only one in the world that can navigate a dingy in a small lake.

kronoss 09-01-2013 10:39 PM

My boat has labour day weekend off just like the owner.
Its madness out there, full of newbs that take their boat out once a year, on this weekend.

ttrigo 09-01-2013 11:31 PM

one of the best times and places to people watch! the holiday boaters! 10 am and 6 pm were always the best times to grab your cooler full of beers, a couple of chairs, and perhaps a video camera. any enterprising young college kids with boating experience could probably make a heap of dough helping people backing in, loading, etc on the holidays. nothing but drunks and walliy's on these weekends.

tonyv420 09-02-2013 1:13 PM

While sitting emptying my ballast, some idiot in a Panchanga Sea Ray 32ft, yes I said 32ft! on our small lake WTF!!! came and did a donut around me at half throttle less the 20 yards away!! Stopped and asked if I was having fun???? It took everything in me to not totally cuss this drunk moron out. Unbelievable!! This could also happen on a regular old weekend also!

Bumpass1 09-02-2013 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyv420 (Post 1842644)
While sitting emptying my ballast, some idiot in a Panchanga Sea Ray 32ft, yes I said 32ft! on our small lake WTF!!! came and did a donut around me at half throttle less the 20 yards away!! Stopped and asked if I was having fun???? It took everything in me to not totally cuss this drunk moron out. Unbelievable!! This could also happen on a regular old weekend also!

Yea its a whole different thread for what I saw on the water!! Kids in daddies LSV powerturning in circles in the middle of the run, tubers being pulled and whipped nexted to downed riders, and so on and so on.

jonblarc7 09-02-2013 5:23 PM

Well ill admit it I was one of those guy's this weekend. Had the best days with the inlaw's on Saturday (no really they where fun LOL). My wife and I didn't drink just used my boat as the party boat and DJ booth at party island. First time I've ever had a system that could do that then finished up with me, the only one that boards taking a nice long set at dusk and rode the best I've rode all year. THEN woke up the next morning just the wife and I to get alittle morning set in. I forgot to recharge both batteries the night before. And I think I got a bad ground so after let her pull the boat off the trailer like always I tell hear to fill the ballast while I go and park. So I her her bumping some Taylor Swift from along ways off. She comes to pick me up at the dock and idols out and 100 yards and tell her to cut it off. I didn't realize the alternater couldn't keep up with everything that was on. And I'm dead in the water and my supra turns into a 24 foot stand up paddle board. All this happen right that the busiest time where everybody gets to watch me paddle back a 100 yards to shore.

lionel 09-02-2013 6:16 PM

Sounds like you should have went for a different morning set ..... :)

jonblarc7 09-02-2013 6:38 PM

Yep that kind of morning set would have made the whole day alittle more relaxing LOL

cwb4me 09-03-2013 3:44 AM

Went to put the boat in the water Friday afternoon. There's a car pulling a trailer out the water as i come down to the ramp,so i stop and wait.All of the boats are backed in to their parking spots. He pulls in halfway with his trailer sticking out 15'. So i just adjusted my circle swing to the ramp.No problem right? Then back the boat in the water and undo the bow strap.My wife is warming up the boat and starts to backup.This guy does a power turn off the dock in a no wake zone. Fortunately the boat was still enough on the trailer it didn't get pushed into the dock. Then the boat just powered off through the No Wake Zone. Holidays, you got to love them. It was even worse on the water all weekend.

baitkiller 09-03-2013 5:02 AM

Came into the ramp late afternoon to see the flying burrito brothers had somehow managed to jack knife their truck and trailer sideways on the ramp. Complete Charlie Foxtrot.. This thing was pinned hard between the two walls and wasn't going anywhere soon. I dropped off a truck driver and ran 4 miles to another ramp.
I should have gotten some video.

09-03-2013 5:37 AM

Family was sick so I was bound and determined to get out on the lake even if by myself. I launch boat early Sunday morning and visit some friends on the lake when a storm starts to approach so I head back to the ramp. Get the boat tied up and head up to get truck/ trailer when I discover that right in the middle of the approach area for the ramp there are two cars parked and are letting their kids fish on the ramp. I kindly informed the adult standing near one of the cars that things were starting to get really busy with the storm coming in and that they should relocate their parked cars to the parking lot just 20 yards away for their safety and that of their kids. Then this redneck trailer trash ****head proceeds to say "I am on my new Iphone and am busy, obviously you rich mother flicker with your boat and rollcage can wait a few minutes!!!" I did not say a word after that as my son has taught me that idiots just bring you down to their level and kick you ass with experience!!!!

Bumpass1 09-03-2013 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paxdad (Post 1842683)
=I did not say a word after that as my son has taught me that idiots just bring you down to their level and kick you ass with experience!!!!

New words to live by!!! Your son is wise beyond his years.

ktm525 09-03-2013 7:11 AM

I had the best Labor Day Weekend. I stayed at home with my wife and kids and just swam in the pool. Stayed far away the weekend warriors.

timmyb 09-03-2013 7:16 AM

I think all of the extra traffic at the ramp makes people nervous. Normally I pride myself on the ability to get the boat on the trailer and out of the water within 30 seconds but yesterday didn't go so well! This was my first ramp issue (with me at the helm) in 8 years of boat ownership...wife backed the trailer down crooked and then decided as I was almost to it to pull it forward for some reason. Yelled to pull it back down and she hooked it the other way as I was moving forward where the trailer was "going" to be. Well, it wasn't! I caught the guide post with the pickle fork and snapped the pvc piece in half. Then the boat spun sideways and luckily some guy at the dock caught the back end before it smashed into the dock. I wound up getting the boat on the trailer fine but then of course got yelled at for giving her "constructive" criticism.
:o:o:o

racer808 09-03-2013 7:49 AM

I watched a guy try to launch his big ass cabin cruiser in a very shallow dock. He was told multiple times he can't launch there cause it is shallow but did it anyway. People in line were going to kill this guy, backs down, then starts prepping for launch. 3 people could have gotten off with how long it took him to prep. I even started cussing him out. I took a chance on the stupid shallow side no one dare used & got off really quick with only a small scratch on the hull....glad it wasn't the prop. Jack wagon is now in the water & cannot get his boat off the trailer. Water is up to his doors on this truck so he does what any intelligent red blooded american would do. He backs so far in the trailer is now stuck off the ramp, boat still won't launch & now the crowd is coming with pitch forks. I have no idea how or if they ever got him back out. But it was comical seeing the mob go after him

wazzy 09-03-2013 10:12 AM

I have nicknamed Holiday Weekends, "Amateur Weekends" on our lake. And with our cabin right next to a public launch, we get to see it all first hand....

jarrod 09-03-2013 12:42 PM

4. Watched same moron power his boat onto the trailer just to watch it slide back off. Once it started to slide off he did what any normal thinking Labor Day American would, Just put it in gear and then walk to the front of the boat to clip the bow eye. Wouldn't you do the same thing???

Yes. I do this often actually.

detonate69 09-03-2013 12:52 PM

Yeah I thought number 4 was kind of silly. I also have done this many a time. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4

johnny_defacto 09-03-2013 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1842793)

Yes, me too... often.

mikebu 09-03-2013 1:26 PM

I saw a older gentleman bring his 80 foot cabin cruiser into the marina area. We were tied up at a very long dock and he asked if we could push down to the end so he could dock in front of us. He then amazed me with his boat control as he docked this gigantic boat. Probably took him only 30 seconds from when he started moving till his wife had the boat tied off. Talking with him he said the boat had bow thrusters along with twin engines.

skiboarder 09-03-2013 1:33 PM

I clipped someone's trailer taillight in the parking lot. I left a note and it was a fairly standard light. Hopefully they call.

bryce2320 09-03-2013 2:04 PM

Some walleye parked with their trailer half way in the isle at the boat ramp parking lot Saturday. This triple axle baja, us, and another boat pulled up there and the guy pulling the baja wanted all of us to back up. I ran up there to the nice black SUV, pushed in on the gas tank and what do you know, keys! I jumped in it and pulled it 50' up into the grass where the ******* should have parked. I did lock his car back and throw the keys back in the gas cap tho :D

bryce2320 09-03-2013 2:08 PM

Oh, and a few miles from the ramp, there was a nice VIP boat in the ditch, in the barbed wire fence, about 20' in front of its trailer laying on the ground. They probably didn't even know the boat wasn't behind them til they got home haha

timmyb 09-03-2013 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce2320 (Post 1842810)
Some walleye parked with their trailer half way in the isle at the boat ramp parking lot Saturday. This triple axle baja, us, and another boat pulled up there and the guy pulling the baja wanted all of us to back up. I ran up there to the nice black SUV, pushed in on the gas tank and what do you know, keys! I jumped in it and pulled it 50' up into the grass where the ******* should have parked. I did lock his car back and throw the keys back in the gas cap tho :D

:D Awesome! Bet he came out and was like :confused:

wakebordr11 09-03-2013 4:39 PM

I paid my $7 launch fee at 1130AM Sunday morning. No other boaters. We wakeboarded all weekend, pretty flat water Sat morning til we went mountain biking at 2. Flat all day yesterday due to the threat of storms. Then it did storm, so we went to have sushi, went back to the wet boat and took a dusk set. Pulled out last night and the crackhead lady who "owns" the launch didn't wakeup from her drunken stupor to take any more money. Nobody in line, no waiting. Bing bang boom 20 seconds in 20 seconds out.

gene3x 09-04-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce2320 (Post 1842810)

Hahahaha! I have done that exact same thing! :D
I wish I could have been there to see his expression.

Bagar55 09-04-2013 6:10 PM

Busy campground boat ramp. Pulled my boat out and up out of the way. Was unloading and getting it ready for the road when I heard a ruckus start at the ramp. Decided to head down to watch the fun. This couple is arguing about getting the boat on the trailer. This redneck chick is stomping around and yelling at her man to let her f...ing help him. He's the man and doesn't need help. He's struggling a little bit so he decides to get in the boat and drive it on the trailer. She's still yelling at him. He gets halfway up the trailer and decides to punch it to get it the rest of the way on. I'm sure her yelling was helping the situation. Well it's a seadoo jet boat and a roller trailer. He gives it to much throttle and puts the bow over the trailer stop and through the back window and tailgate of the suburban that's the tow vehicle. Window explodes and tailgate is smashed. Made a huge sound like dynamite going off. Somehow he backs up and locks the boat down. The redneck girlfriend/wife Go's ballistic and stomps all over the ramp area yelling and cussing at the top of her lungs. It was awesome. I just wish I would have brought my phone and video'd the madness. They finally get in the tow vehicle and do a burn out leaving the ramp and then go around 65 through the campground to leave.

boardman74 09-04-2013 6:22 PM

^^^That there is the current winner!!!!

cwb4me 09-04-2013 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagar55 (Post 1843102)
Busy campground boat ramp. Pulled my boat out and up out of the way. Was unloading and getting it ready for the road when I heard a ruckus start at the ramp. Decided to head down to watch the fun. This couple is arguing about getting the boat on the trailer. This redneck chick is stomping around and yelling at her man to let her f...ing help him. He's the man and doesn't need help. He's struggling a little bit so he decides to get in the boat and drive it on the trailer. She's still yelling at him. He gets halfway up the trailer and decides to punch it to get it the rest of the way on. I'm sure her yelling was helping the situation. Well it's a seadoo jet boat and a roller trailer. He gives it to much throttle and puts the bow over the trailer stop and through the back window and tailgate of the suburban that's the tow vehicle. Window explodes and tailgate is smashed. Made a huge sound like dynamite going off. Somehow he backs up and locks the boat down. The redneck girlfriend/wife Go's ballistic and stomps all over the ramp area yelling and cussing at the top of her lungs. It was awesome. I just wish I would have brought my phone and video'd the madness. They finally get in the tow vehicle and do a burn out leaving the ramp and then go around 65 through the campground to leave.

You might be a redneck if................................................ .......:D

bryce2320 09-04-2013 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagar55 (Post 1843102)

Are you in Oklahoma too??:D:D:D

pprior 09-04-2013 8:09 PM

Extreme negligence not getting any video of some of these incidents, especially the exploding window burn-out. Shame shame shame..... ;)

scott 09-04-2013 8:45 PM

While preparing to take the boat out late Sunday some Moron flew in at 25 mph through the no wake zone, about 300 yards to drop off some one at the dock, turned around and and left the same way he came in! Who the Hell does these things? I wanted to turn around and KICK his Arse! But had to do the adult thing with my kids in the boat and just shake my head. My 11 year old son was watching the whole thing yelling at the Arsehole!

bass10after 09-04-2013 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1842793)

same here. do it quite a bit when i'm loading by myself.

soonerbilly 09-05-2013 7:50 AM

I got a good one. Ill post pics later. This guy was pulling his boat out alone at the end of the day at the opposite side of the 6 bay ramp from me. While i was pulling mine out....no issues. I hear screams and OMG's I turn around just in time to see a newish(turns out to be 2005) chevy tahoe rolling into the water. Apparently this guy thought he was in park but wasnt and while winching his boat up while in it it gave that little tug to set the tow vehicle into motion. After a few hours and everyone from firefughters to the fire chief ahd arrived they finally pulled him out. That doesnt ruinyour weekend....that ruins the year. Unless he had great insurance and needed a new ride...lol.

timmyb 09-05-2013 8:01 AM

I'm confused, since when is powering the boat onto the trailer the "moron" way to load? I've actually never been out with anyone that does it any other way and I've been on a lot of boats!

Bumpass1 09-05-2013 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1843216)
I'm confused, since when is powering the boat onto the trailer the "moron" way to load? I've actually never been out with anyone that does it any other way and I've been on a lot of boats!

Maybe it's me then. I've always gotten close under idle and cranked the last foot or two. I have always been under the impression that power loading is what tore up the ramps and caused huge holes and rocks to be churned up. I stopped using my favorite ramp because of this.

chillinoj 09-05-2013 8:40 AM

Haha this thread is priceless, some of those stories are epic

timmyb 09-05-2013 9:46 AM

Our water levels fluctuate so much during the season that we see almost the whole ramp every year so there's not much to churn up. Last few years, it gets closed because the water level is beyond the concrete.

jordanh 09-05-2013 9:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpass1 (Post 1843230)
Maybe it's me then. I've always gotten close under idle and cranked the last foot or two. I have always been under the impression that power loading is what tore up the ramps and caused huge holes and rocks to be churned up. I stopped using my favorite ramp because of this.

My ramlin trailer for my 95 nautique doesn't even have a winch. Just a turn buckle. I hate powering it on... But have never considered it to be the moron way about it.

09-05-2013 10:17 AM

Around 18 years ago or so - my wife and I. along with some friends, were launching at Woodward Reservoir (Oakdale). As we were launching - a boat came flying in near the docks - on plane to within 20 feet of the dock. We all mumbled what an ass the guy was - then they started screaming for help.

My wife, being a Doc - ran to see what was going on. Turns out, a woman was being pulled on a tube behind a jet ski. As the jet ski came out of a cove - the boater slowed to let the jet ski past then proceeded on plane - apparently not seeing the tuber. The bow of the boat hit the woman in the head, cracking her skull. She was immediately unconscious. They dragged her on the boat and hauled ass to the launch ramp for help.

When the dragged her off the boat - my wife began trying to assist - they called in a medivac that circled overhead for a few minutes. The woman was completely unresponsive - and, after 15 minutes or so, grey matter exited her ears.

Probably one of the most shocking things I've personally experienced - and caused me to get rid of my boat at the end of that summer and I didn't go back on the water for a few years.

Bottom line - lost of people do stupid things - including those of us who don't think we'd ever do stupid things. Best move, especially with folks that you can tell haven't been boating long - is to lend a hand whenever you can. You never know when you'll be on the wrong end of someone else's mistake.

Stay safe - and lend someone a hand.

ottog1979 09-05-2013 11:11 AM

^ Good post.

soonerbilly 09-05-2013 2:06 PM

http://www.wakeworld.com/soonerbilly/albums/1795/13106

lifetimewarranty 09-05-2013 2:55 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's me then. I've always gotten close under idle and cranked the last foot or two.

LOL - Yep...It's you.

Bumpass1 09-05-2013 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty (Post 1843306)
LOL - Yep...It's you.

Glad we got that figured out. That explains a lot!!:)

iShredSAN 09-05-2013 3:05 PM

Saw this happen last year at Lake Austin. Makes me cringe just watching it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y0o3xPb8oEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lifetimewarranty 09-05-2013 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpass1 (Post 1843309)
Glad we got that figured out. That explains a lot!!:)

Well it sounds like you know your own system but imagine this.

You drive the boat onto the trailer...all the way until you hear a "click". Your beautiful wife hits the gas in the truck and you are gone as everyone nearby applauds and stares in complete disbelief.;):D

boardman74 09-05-2013 3:18 PM

^^^Thats sucks...bad!!!

fish6942 09-06-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

I crank mine on as well. All of the ramps around here have a large hole just beyond the cement slabs with a nice large pile of gravel just beyond the hole. All of this is caused by people power loading their boats. At this time of year, those gravel piles are close enough to the surface that I can hear my prop scrape on them as I walk the boat out to the end of the dock to push off.

Power loaders = power turners??? I dunno but I do shake my head when I see either behavior.

MBofTexas 09-06-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

That is the way I do it also. Have the wife back trailer in let it catch, hook the winch, back trailer in a little further then ratchet it the rest of the way.

timmyb 09-06-2013 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish6942 (Post 1843481)
Power loaders = power turners??? I dunno but I do shake my head when I see either behavior.

:rolleyes:
Do you back your trailer in the water and then unhook it and walk it over to the dock too or how are you taking it off of the trailer? That prop has to spin in the launch area at some point.

bryce2320 09-06-2013 2:47 PM

We hate power loaders too because we have a 3 way boat launch which is right next to the dock. Trying to load while some ******* next to you is power loading makes it a little tougher. Why not just back the trailer in a little further and use the crank?

timmyb 09-06-2013 2:57 PM

If you do it properly, you don't really "power" on, it's more like coast onto the trailer, lean over the bow and hook to the bow eye and tell the driver to pull the truck forward. Having someone jump out and winch the boat on takes too long. :D LOL! With my trailer, the boat

bryce2320 09-06-2013 3:54 PM

I think theres a difference in coasting on and giving it a little, compared to some prick with the outdrive out of the water nailed at half throttle stirring up the water. I back the truck and my ol lady drives the boat. Im out a few feet in the water to catch the bow and guide it to the center if need be. I get deep enough though it normally winches right up, hop in the truck and pull up. Unloading, we unclip the hook before we leave the camper a few blocks away and back down into the water, when the transom hits the water she fires it up, and slides right off so its a 10 second deal. Everyone has there own way to do it tho. But I think that is what some of us are thinking when we say powerload. (the prick with the outdrive out of the water and hammering on it, with the fenders barely in the water.)

bryce2320 09-06-2013 3:56 PM

Hopefully all the walleyes are winterizing this weekend though, and we dont see them til Memorial Day next year :D

Ewok01 09-06-2013 6:26 PM

Drive on boat trailers (which includes most small boat trailers with carpeted bunks) are designed to guide the boat and center it on the trailer if you have it in the water deep enough, but not too deep. Usually just barely the top of the fender showing is good for self centering and powering on to the bow stop. It doesn't take that much power, you slowly idle the boat onto the trailer, slowly add power and the boat slides up the trailer until it hits the bow stop. Then you shut the engine down, walk to the bow, reach over, clip the winch, make sure it's tight and tell your driver to pull the boat out of the water. That is how most boaters in regular, non-nanny states without regulations prohibiting power loading load their boats.

rdlangston13 09-06-2013 10:38 PM

Our home lake has an average depth of 21 feet so you can imagine the ramp areas are shallow, usually 5 feet deep at the end of the ramp at full pool. When you have people power loading on their trailers every time they load it washes out the loose sediment at then end up the boat ramp and creates a large sand bar/debris mound a feet past the end of the ramp. A couple years are we were about a foot low and I wanted to walk down to the end of the ramp to see how far it went. When I got to the end of the concrete it was just over waste deep, then there was a drop off to shoulder deep, then about 3 more feet back it was only up to my knees...Perfect example of how power loading can wash out ramps at shallower lakes. The sediment at the end of the ramp being washed out can also, overtime, cause the actual concrete of the ramp to break and collapse.

We have a ton of fisherman around here who seem to get the water half way up the rims on their trailers and then WOT it on the rest of the way. That is horrible.

We idle the boat up, driver of the truck will get out, hook the winch and winch the boat up while the boat remains at idle, if it gets to where we cannot winch it anymore the boat driver will apply just enough throttle to allow the truck driver to complete winching. I wont say we don't use any power but we do use as little as possible. We also back in until the trailer fenders are about 2" below the water line.

boardman74 09-07-2013 7:07 AM

Our ramp is so bad right now that you have to back the trailer into what I call the "motor hole" push it halfway off till the boat literally beaches itself at the back where the sediment settles. Then you have to pull the trailer out from under the boat. Right now for us it might be 12-16 inches at the back. I then have to walk it off the side to avoid the man made sand bar. Then have to walk out 300-400 yards to get into deep enough water to start. Its a pain.

Its like David said these guys have their motor trimmed up running them 3/4 throttle because they don't have their trailers in far enough. If I can get in deep enough to get my boat on these guys with 16 foot aluminum fishing boats shouldn't have any issue. Couple weeks ago after we pulled out just such a gentleman was putting his boat in. I was trying to be nice and walked over and asked if he had been to this ramp. He was clearly smarter than me and annoyed and snapped not for a few years. I told him there was a super shallow spot just off the ramp and to be careful. Was trying to save the guy a prop. He snapped at me that he knew what he was doing. His buddy who was walking a few feet behind told me thanks and said his buddy knows everything!!

About 3 minutes later while we were wiping the boat down he started the motor and was practicing "power unloading" and was having some problem getting off the trailer. All of a sudden the boat came off the trailer and went straight backwards. What I heard I can only describe as ice cubes in a blender. I was laughing so hard I know they must have heard me. My wife told me I was mean!!!

brichter14 09-08-2013 11:19 AM

^^people who refuse to learn will be ignorant for life. I hate people who will never take advice or constructive criticism.

nitrousbird 09-08-2013 4:09 PM

We were at Norris Lake in TN all week. Arrived on Saturday the 31st, unloaded to an empty ramp. Didn't go out Sat night due to rain, Sunday due to iffy conditions, and on Monday the ramp was still empty (drive by it every time we went out) and not that many folks on the lake. Glass and near glass everywhere. Remained that way throughout the entire week.

I sadly has the Wally experience getting the boat on the trailer to leave. We couldn't keep the trailer at the cabin, so as I had my wife drive off to the ramp, I went to get the trailer (near the ramp), and once I backed in I didn't see our boat. Look way out and there she was floating. She knows sign language and starts signing to me...quite useful when I don't know sign language and we were pretty far away from each other. I try yelling, but these construction guys were building a boat dock near the ramp and had generators running.

I finally figured out the boat ran out of gas. Damn it. No one was using the ramp, so I just emptied my pockets, took my shirt off and made the longest swim I've done in the past 10 years. Get to the boat, prime the fuel pump a couple times and was able to get her started and running long enough to idle onto the trailer. Good way to start a 6 hour drive. :)

baitkiller 09-09-2013 6:09 AM

I have to power off-load or add 6' to my trailer tongue. Salt water will change your mind about dipping the brakes on your truck. It is simply, the way it's done around here. We use as little throttle as needed but there aint no way shes coming off without help.

In fact, the people who clog up the ramp 90% of the time are the ding bats with a rope tied on the boat trying to wrangle 5000 lbs + of fiberglass in a 3 kt. current. If you dont pick your line and come in committed and a little hot you will wind up sideways on the trailer, maybe not even your trailer.
I back down already untied and the wife hits the gas. Im gone. She doesn't tie up either, just waits off shore until I park then she noses up and I hop on. Seeya. The boat is loaded with gear and unstrapped in the staging area, Boards in the racks, dog on board, etc. not at the ramp or at the tie up dock.

The one thing that kills me is how many Dads are on the ramp with the kids still in the truck, AC on and the windows up. Criminal behavior in my mind. Nobody should be in that truck when you are on the ramp. Put em in the boat, at least it floats when it goes in the water.

So to sum-up. Im a power loader / off loader kids and dog in the boat kind of guy. But I do alter my bahviour when at a lake, especially with a dirt ramp.

09-09-2013 6:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1843760)
I have to power off-load or add 6' to my trailer tongue. Salt water will change your mind about dipping the brakes on your truck. It is simply, the way it's done around here. We use as little throttle as needed but there aint no way shes coming off without help.

In fact, the people who clog up the ramp 90% of the time are the ding bats with a rope tied on the boat trying to wrangle 5000 lbs + of fiberglass in a 3 kt. current. If you dont pick your line and come in committed and a little hot you will wind up sideways on the trailer, maybe not even your trailer.
I back down already untied and the wife hits the gas. Im gone. She doesn't tie up either, just waits off shore until I park then she noses up and I hop on. Seeya. The boat is loaded with gear and unstrapped in the staging area, Boards in the racks, dog on board, etc. not at the ramp or at the tie up dock.

The one thing that kills me is how many Dads are on the ramp with the kids still in the truck, AC on and the windows up. Criminal behavior in my mind. Nobody should be in that truck when you are on the ramp. Put em in the boat, at least it floats when it goes in the water.

So to sum-up. Im a power loader / off loader kids and dog in the boat kind of guy. But I do alter my bahviour when at a lake, especially with a dirt ramp.

I just gained more common sense with you pointing out what should be the obvious with the family in the truck windows up, etc. I don't do this by nature as everyone stays on the boat until we get to a clear area to begin post trip unloading etc. I am going to use this example as a safety topic at work when the opportunity presents itself.

fish6942 09-09-2013 7:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1843514)
:rolleyes:
Do you back your trailer in the water and then unhook it and walk it over to the dock too or how are you taking it off of the trailer? That prop has to spin in the launch area at some point.

I back the trailer in deep enough for the boat to start floating, unhook the winch, walk the boat to the end of the ramp dock (cringing as the prop passes over the gravel pile). The ramp we mostly use has a long enough dock that goes well beyond the gravel pile. At other lakes with shorter docks, we have to paddle out a bit before engaging the prop.

If you need more explanation as to why powerloading causes us inboard owners headaches (at least on my local lakes), please let me know.

jmanolinsky 09-09-2013 9:11 AM

Well it wasn't Labor day weekend, but this past one. I pull up to the nice ramp I use that has 4 ramps and 2 ramp docks. I always anticipate what I will find as I approach. This time it was about 10-12 people using both docks as fishing piers. Newby boaters and inexperienced trailer backers I can handle. We all have to learn, but all ramps around here are clearly posted with no fishing and no swimming areas signs. There are also plenty of fishing areas and fishing piers all around. What made this even more aggravating is these guys didn't even get out of the way. Some were kids that didn't know better, but the adults can read I'm sure. I almost went off on them, but then just decided not to start my day that way. In a few minutes I was on my way.

PS: I also power load and off load.