WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   help this fat guy pick a board (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809136)

sebenfitty 08-09-2019 2:13 AM

help this fat guy pick a board

'06 Tige 22ve. Enzo bags in back. Integrated bow sac.

We're just starting to surf. Currently have the LF Rocket and it's not working for anyone in the boat, especially this 300 pounder. I'm still dialing in the wake, but for what I've got now I think my 13yo should be able to go wireless, but is having trouble.
Looking to get a couple boards and I'm on a tight budget. Need one for the lighter riders, probably end up being the hyperlite broadcast 5'4" because I can get it pretty cheap, and I'm seeing a lot of good reviews of it being a good all around beginner/guest board.
I know I've gotta spend a little more on the big boy board. I'm currently looking at the IS red rocket and the Doomswell Nubstep 5'2". I can get either one for around $500. The nubstep is obviously the better deal. What would the experienced surfers choose and why? I'm assuming the Red Rocket would be a more durable board? Is there another board in this range you would suggest?

Thanks in advance

sebenfitty 08-09-2019 2:53 AM

Also a slight consideration toward the Landlock if anyone has any experience with it. But I would like to be able to grow with the board and eventually throw some tricks. Not sure if that would be possible with the Landlock.

denverd1 08-09-2019 3:10 AM

no on the landlock.
I don't think a 5'2" nub would work, just not enough buoyancy. I'm 6'2", 220 and wish it was a tad longer. they also make the jefe, but its more of a cruiser than a trick machine.
the red rocket may be the ticket. or call Brock at Doomswell to see what they recommend.
Nick at Chaos is super cool and knows whats up as well.

shawndoggy 08-09-2019 3:20 AM

victoria captain XL.

sebenfitty 08-09-2019 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd1 (Post 1990859)
no on the landlock.
I don't think a 5'2" nub would work, just not enough buoyancy. I'm 6'2", 220 and wish it was a tad longer. they also make the jefe, but its more of a cruiser than a trick machine.
the red rocket may be the ticket. or call Brock at Doomswell to see what they recommend.
Nick at Chaos is super cool and knows whats up as well.

So you have the 5'2"? Site shows it's good to 300. I assumed it would be one of the thicker boards. Jefe is only rated to 270. I always assumed it was their big boy board until I checked the size chart.

sebenfitty 08-09-2019 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoggy (Post 1990862)
victoria captain XL.

I'm trying to stay around 500. Wanna leave room in my budget for a wake shaper along with the two boards I need to buy. If I go to 750 I think I'd go to the Chaos Ringer XXL

denverd1 08-09-2019 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebenfitty (Post 1990865)
So you have the 5'2"? Site shows it's good to 300. I assumed it would be one of the thicker boards. Jefe is only rated to 270. I always assumed it was their big boy board until I checked the size chart.

I do. 2 1/8" thick. REALLY surprised the jefe is rated for more than a nub....

denverd1 08-09-2019 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd1 (Post 1990875)
I do. 2 1/8" thick. REALLY surprised the jefe is rated for more than a nub....

is NOT rated...

Stazi 08-09-2019 8:17 AM

The IS Red Rocket will work. Or look at the Idol Surf Tonga Kahuna LTE.

andy_nintzel 08-09-2019 9:10 AM

Im a fan of the Shortbus Daily Driver 5' 0" or Brigade Surf Couch.

SySurfer 08-09-2019 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebenfitty (Post 1990854)
'06 Tige 22ve. Enzo bags in back. Integrated bow sac.

We're just starting to surf. Currently have the LF Rocket and it's not working for anyone in the boat, especially this 300 pounder. I'm still dialing in the wake, but for what I've got now I think my 13yo should be able to go wireless, but is having trouble.
Looking to get a couple boards and I'm on a tight budget. Need one for the lighter riders, probably end up being the hyperlite broadcast 5'4" because I can get it pretty cheap, and I'm seeing a lot of good reviews of it being a good all around beginner/guest board.
I know I've gotta spend a little more on the big boy board. I'm currently looking at the IS red rocket and the Doomswell Nubstep 5'2". I can get either one for around $500. The nubstep is obviously the better deal. What would the experienced surfers choose and why? I'm assuming the Red Rocket would be a more durable board? Is there another board in this range you would suggest?

Thanks in advance

Nubstep is a good board. I think you will like it. Its max is 300 lb but couple probably handles more. The El Jefe is also a good one.

sebenfitty 08-10-2019 3:47 AM

Couldn’t pass up the Inland Surfer. Picked up a Red Rocket for me and a Tako blem for the kids. 750 shipped for both

Redbear781 08-20-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebenfitty (Post 1990901)
Couldn’t pass up the Inland Surfer. Picked up a Red Rocket for me and a Tako blem for the kids. 750 shipped for both

Getting any push on the Island Surfer?