WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   How are your wraps holding up? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788565)

hatepain 06-30-2011 10:37 AM

How are your wraps holding up?

For those with wraps how are they holding up? I'm considering one but have some concerns
-Tears
-Fading
-Peeling
-Cleaning i.e. how do you wax with them?

If you have a partial wrap does the seam (wrap to gel coat) bother you?

elc 06-30-2011 11:03 AM

If you use your boat a lot the wrap will get scuffs and small tears. Mine hasn't peeled or faded but I do have small spots on the side where the boat has rubbed on the dock (with bumpers) and torn. If I got another wrap I would probably do something towards the rear of the boat.

factorykitted 06-30-2011 11:44 AM

Dark colors can fade over time, not noticeable unless you patch a spot with a new piece. Just a piece of advice, dont wrap above the rub rail. Doesnt matter how careful you are it will give knicked over time if you tie up with other people. I have had no problem with peeling. I clean it just like i do the gel coat - doesnt need special care.

brett33 06-30-2011 11:58 AM

my boat is fully wrapped in a dark color and i stay on my home lake 24/7. seriously i log a good 4-5 hours everyday after work plus all day everyday on the weekends. i will tell you this, you need to be anal about keeping your things clean and properly taken care of if you are considering wrapping your boat. no shoes, jewelry, smoking, glass bottles, belt buckles.. all these things will tear it in a heartbeat. most all of the vinyl used in high quality wraps is laminated to prevent fading as much as possible. i would expect if you have had it wrapped for a number of years and stay in the sun fading could occur. as for cleaning, Mothers spray and wipe just like a car would get, even Windex works like a charm!

factorykitted 06-30-2011 12:03 PM

do you really just say windex? i couldnt think of anything worse, even for glass

Fourspeednup 06-30-2011 1:40 PM

I just came back from a shop that specializes in boat and truck wraps for the fishing community and they have recently had a number of failures due to the use of unapproved cleaning chemicals. Be sure to follow the installer's cleaning recommendations to a 'T' to prevent any possible warranty rejections later on if issues arise just like window tint. Companies like 3M will request a sample of the problem wrap for analysis.

Shameless Plug (stop reading if you don't wan't to see a Boat Bling pitch:p : Hot Sauce was just approved for use on all 3M wrap materials!

brett33 06-30-2011 5:41 PM

im not saying as a primary cleaner, but when in need.. gotta make something happen!

jeff_mn 07-01-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett33 (Post 1690115)
im not saying as a primary cleaner, but when in need.. gotta make something happen!

your wrap won't last a summer if you're using windex to clean it.. it will be faded in a hot minute

cadunkle 07-01-2011 12:28 PM

I was wondering, with the cost of wraps rivaling what gel costs, why does it seem like everyone does wraps these days? Maybe the busy patterns I figure? Personally I'd rather have nice gel coat and maybe some pinstripes or sticker/logo on top to break it up a bit. I think it looks nicer, but I'm a less is more kind of guy. Seems more permanent and less likely to have issues in the long term. Stripes or stickers are cheaper/easier to replace than a whole wrap.