WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Florida Advice (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790711)

Wiatowski 10-29-2011 11:55 AM

Florida Advice

Hey gonna be in Orlando for vacation in January, and want to go for a lesson (behind a boat). Where's a good place to go?
Was thinking of booking with the Learn to wake guys but was looking for a less expensive place.
Post links with rates please.

Thanks

njskier 10-29-2011 1:31 PM

The Boarding School with Josh Palma, Shaun Murray and Travis Moye. Great coaching at a perfect private site!

hockeysk8er222 10-29-2011 5:56 PM

The Wakeboard Camp was awesome when I was out there in June. 7 new tricks in 5 days!

Wiatowski 10-29-2011 6:15 PM

Am looking for Price for 1 session or a day.

Bumpass1 10-30-2011 5:22 AM

I was in the same position as you earlier this month. My wife was going to surprise me with a day before we went out on for a cruise. The Wakeboard Camp was $300 for the day and The Boarding School was $400. I ended up not doing it because I had read that it took about 2 days of riding before the coaches could break any bad habits that you have. I decided to wait and use the money toward a week in the spring instead of a day. I did look into the OWC while I was looking. They have boat pulls that at come with private lessons for $100 an hour.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Good luck.

Wiatowski 10-30-2011 6:17 AM

OWC's 1 hour set seems pretty reasonable.
I want the most bang for my buck. However it's a family vacation so I don't want to be gone the whole day. Just want to get a bit of insight so I can progress in the right direction. Plus I want to ride behind a nice wake boat, I've got a 89 bayliner.... not to much of a wake 18' of wake is hard to learn on.

Bumpass1 10-30-2011 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiatowski (Post 1715792)
I want to ride behind a nice wake boat.

I think I saw that they use Nautiques when I was there. I felt the same way as you. I did not want to be selfish and take the time away from my wife and kids at the beginning of our vacation either.

Wiatowski 10-30-2011 2:22 PM

Don't see if they provide the gear.... Guess I'll have to contact them and ask

gotwake133 10-30-2011 7:12 PM

OWC charges 55 bucks for a half hour set, and 100 for an hour. Sets are pulled behind a 2011 230, and can have more ballast loaded upon request. Usually awesome conditions, but you want to call ahead and make sure there is an opening for a set. You can demo gear from hyperlight and byerly at OWC as well.

Wiatowski 10-31-2011 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwake133 (Post 1715846)
OWC charges 55 bucks for a half hour set, and 100 for an hour. Sets are pulled behind a 2011 230, and can have more ballast loaded upon request. Usually awesome conditions, but you want to call ahead and make sure there is an opening for a set. You can demo gear from hyperlight and byerly at OWC as well.

do they charge to demo?

Bumpass1 10-31-2011 6:59 AM

Don't know about demo charges, but I know they have rentals. I think they rent vest too.

gotwake133 10-31-2011 9:32 AM

Yes there is a charge for demos/rentals. OWC rents VERY BASIC setups with velcro bindings, and Performance has demos, (shop at OWC as well as main store) and its about 30 bucks I believe for the whole day if you want to hit sliders, not sure what it would be if you just wanted to take a quick boat set. Otherwise you can go to the main store of Performance Ski and Surf (10 mins from owc), full line of demos from Ronix as well, and some liquid force that you can rent. Feel free to PM if you have more questions!

Wiatowski 11-01-2011 10:38 AM

sounds good... I think I'll just bring one of my boards if I go the route of OWC. I think learn to wake includes all your gear but I'll have to doble check.

Bumpass1 11-01-2011 10:56 AM

Wakeboard camp does provide everything. They have a list of there equipment on their website.

tampawake 11-01-2011 12:03 PM

TBS also offers all the stuff you need. Just bring your board sports. I think there are cheaper places to get coaching just depends on what your looking for.

Wiatowski 11-01-2011 2:33 PM

Just looking to ride behind a wake boat on some nice water for an hour or 2 and get a few pointers

Tsg137 06-03-2014 3:23 PM

HI All,

I will be flying to Florida soon for a conference in Orlando. I'm not looking for a pull or anything like that just some general advice on things to do in the evening for few hours... I'll have my wife and baby with, so keep that in mind for any suggestions. Cool little beach shops, restaurants, etc. I will be renting a car so I'm not stuck at the hotel. Thanks for any advice!

sunsport 06-03-2014 4:02 PM

Go check OWC. It is fun to just watch the riders even if you are not going to ride.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome

joaomalheiros 06-04-2014 7:24 AM

you should go to O'town watersports, they have a malibu mxz( not sure about te size) and a nautique G23 both fully loaded and the coach is a super chill guy and is one of the best in te industry for sure. for what I know they charge 115 for the set

whiteflashwatersports1 06-04-2014 10:42 AM

No beach shops in Orlando - nearest beach is Cocoa I believe about an hour on the highway. Downtown Disney has all sorts of shops, restaruants, etc for the family. Universal City walk as well but my wife and daughter always prefer disney.

OWC has a small beach area where your family can hang and swim while you take a set.

tampawake 06-04-2014 12:10 PM

http://www.freedomwakepark.com/ here is another option to look at. I have heard great things about this place as well.

Tsg137 06-04-2014 5:08 PM

Thinking Cocoa Beach might be the best option for one evening. I really like beach towns and the ocean.

Are there any other cool places in Orlando near the convention center worth checking out in the evening?

The wife and little one are going to do the tourist stuff during the day while I'm working.

jww 06-04-2014 8:21 PM

freedom wake park is great. we enjoyed going there and will be returning.

whiteflashwatersports1 06-05-2014 11:13 AM

International drive is where the convention center is. There are tons of restaruants and shops. For the wife and kid during the day there is Ripleys museum and a worlds of wonder attraction that is pretty cool.

If you are gonna ride Freedom wake park as mentioned above is awesome and they are some of the coolest people you will ever meet. My daughter has spent a few weeks with them in the summer over the years and had a blast. She was 8 the first tiem she went. OWC is awesome too especially if you have never been there.