WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Considering the purchase of Sanger DLX / V210 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803487)

TMosely 10-05-2014 1:47 PM

Considering the purchase of Sanger DLX / V210

I have been looking at several Sangers in my area (Oklahoma) and would like to know if there are any specific areas that are prone to water damage or rot. Each boat has some area that is inherent to damage over time. I have two that are serious contenders. One is a 99 DLX with 145 hours and the other is a 08 v210 with 125 hours. Motor and transmission issues I can deal with but my concern is stringers, transom, and floors. What areas should I be looking at when considering a purchase?
I intend to take a screwdriver handle to do the tapping test on both. I will also will take a socket set and test the motor and drive bolts into the stringers. Ironically the 08 boat is the one I more concerned with because it has been stored outside.

ralph 10-05-2014 2:57 PM

I have a 03 with 1000hrs I've had from new. They are pretty bomb proof boats, no weak spots I know of. Mine has been serviced every 50hrs and kept inside but it still looks new.

Redheadd 10-05-2014 9:56 PM

That 08' should be money. The 99 carbureted? With those lie of hours

hatepain 10-05-2014 10:15 PM

The stringers have a lifetime warranty for a reason.

ottog1979 10-05-2014 10:24 PM

I have an 02 V210 with 950 hours - same condition as Ralph.'s. I would be worried about a 99 with only 145 hours on it.

TMosely 10-06-2014 7:28 AM

The 99 DLX is an interesting boat. It has the MPI motor and the dealer is going to check the warranty for me and see what he can find on records. There is actually a zip lock on the boat with all of the original manuals, but no maintenance records. There are only two scratches on the boat and both are in the graphics. There are zero chips in the gelcoat. The original interior has no cracks or tears in it. It has never been beached. My daughter opened the engine cover and literally said ....Uhhh Dad I think this engine is new. The bilge area was the kind of clean you cant get back to once it's nasty. The steering cable is single finger turn smooth. This is a survivor. The trailer is starting to rust on the outside bottom edge and would be an easy winter project.

The 08 V210 is a different story. The owner bought it new in 10 and blew his knee out the next season. The Black Scorpion is a hard starter which I'm thinking is the filter in the throttle body, or the idle air motor. When shifting into drive the boat dies which could be a cable that needs lube, or a transmission engagement switch that is binding and then releasing too fast killing the boat. Does anyone know if there is a safety switch in the transmission cable? The boat has been stored outside and has typical issues in the interior. Some of the piping is cracking and the boat is dirty. I was told the boat has beached on a sand bar idling out by the guys ramp. The sealant around the front skeg has a small area where the sealant chipped out. I looked and the driveline is in alignment. There is a slight vibration I would guess is an out of balance prop.

My intention is to build a short and barely capable surf boat to introduce my kids to water sports. I know that neither of these boats are the ideal setup, but both are capable with some weight. Of note... Both will fit in my garage and if I can acquire either, they can both be returned to the glory they deserve.

I am aware of the warranty but have heard that it is to the original owner. Is that true? Also, will the 99 have the treated composite wood stringers?

Redheadd 10-06-2014 8:38 AM

Lol surf. Your gonna sink that thing.

Redheadd 10-06-2014 8:39 AM

I almost sink mine wakeboarding ;)

TMosely 10-06-2014 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redheadd (Post 1894700)
Lol surf. Your gonna sink that thing.

That's probably true... But it will be EPIC up until that moment. :rolleyes:

Redheadd 10-06-2014 8:56 AM

Word

TMosely 10-06-2014 9:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redheadd (Post 1894705)
Word

Redheadd ... What boat did you try to sink and how much weight did you have?

Redheadd 10-06-2014 9:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
V210. 2100# with 6 grown men. Sat kinda low.

TMosely 10-06-2014 9:44 AM

Red.. do you think the dlx having a more neutral balance would help lengthen the pocket on that hull's surf wave? One thing I have heard is the sanger boats need a little bow weight and it seems like the engine location in a direct drive might be a tactical advantage. Also... how much of that weight did you get hidden in your 210?

Redheadd 10-06-2014 10:23 AM

Hidden? 1400#. Surfing? Well I'm a well known advocate against surfing. But I ride in a dlx a lot and you will have zero room after sacs.

ralph 10-06-2014 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The v210 actually surfs pretty well. I run similar weight to red and it is visually a hand full but the boat has a unique way of rolling around which keeps the water out. I am continually surprised by how capable the boat is.

Having the motor in the back is a massive advantage for wake and surf, motor the middle is only an advantage for ski and barefoot. Yes the boat needs forward bias for weight but that is easy to achieve with a combination of fixed weight and water.

ralph 10-06-2014 12:10 PM

Oh, should have said if you are going to weight the 210 with similar levels of ballast as we do you must have a bow cover imo. Just gives you the added insurance to keep the water out if you gimp a turn in to your own wave/wake. If you have your technique down to turn inside your own wake at slow speed it is fine but if you get distracted our miss judge it you could scoop a lot of water.

Shawn 10-06-2014 12:14 PM

I had a '99 DLX and now a have V215. I really miss the DLX's wake and handling capabilities. That being said, the DLX and 210 are the same exact hull. I would go 210 hands down. My biggest complaint with the DLX and the reason I upgraded was that once you load up coolers, gear and sacks in the DLX there is not a spec of carpet showing on the floor! We were climbing over everything all day. 210 has a lot more storage and better layout in my opinion.

The construction of the Sanger is solid. Thay have a low freeboard but handled better than a comparable Mastercraft or Malibu in my option. They do really well in choppy water. You will be hard pressed to find a Sanger that has had rot issues.

Only rot issued you may find are in the plywood floor boards getting soft if water was left in the bilge, especially just forward of the engine in the DLX. Anything encapsulated in the fiberglass should be solid.

TMosely 10-06-2014 1:08 PM

Does anyone know if there is shift interrupter switch on the V210 Sanger transmission? On the test drive the owner mentioned when you first put it into gear it dies ... and it did on the test drive. Once we had the boat out and it was at temp and cables were all moved around and loosened up it was fine. Could the cable be binding and holding the switch open? Or are there any other ideas?

Redheadd 10-06-2014 3:13 PM

That could be as simple as cap and rotor.

Redheadd 10-06-2014 3:14 PM

IMO all these boats are pretty easy to work on and fix.

ralph 10-06-2014 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMosely (Post 1894741)
Does anyone know if there is shift interrupter switch on the V210 Sanger transmission? On the test drive the owner mentioned when you first put it into gear it dies ... and it did on the test drive. Once we had the boat out and it was at temp and cables were all moved around and loosened up it was fine. Could the cable be binding and holding the switch open? Or are there any other ideas?

Mine does that when the iac filter gets dirty. A clean in petrol sorts it out.

boardman74 10-07-2014 6:03 AM

I don't believe they have a shift interrupter switch, just a neutral safety switch which is in the starting circuit and wouldn't be causing your problem.

If there is an issue with the boat and the guy wants to sell it to you…tell him to fix it prior to you purchasing.

Redheadd 10-07-2014 9:54 AM

Oh ya iac. Easy to clean. And will help. **** could be bad gas.

jeff_mn 10-07-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1894805)
I don't believe they have a shift interrupter switch, just a neutral safety switch which is in the starting circuit and wouldn't be causing your problem.

If there is an issue with the boat and the guy wants to sell it to you…tell him to fix it prior to you purchasing.

Disagree. If it's fixed - the price goes up. If you're handy - negotiate down and go through a list of items that are cheap and easy before jumping to more conclusions.

cowwboy 10-07-2014 5:04 PM

Where in ok are you? If you are in the okc area me and my buddy who both do our own wrenching can go with ya and look at them.

TMosely 10-07-2014 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowwboy (Post 1894865)
Where in ok are you? If you are in the okc area me and my buddy who both do our own wrenching can go with ya and look at them.

Tulsa.. I made a run down your way last Saturday to check out the V215 and a 210 SAN they have over at ER. I'll keep that offer in mind on stuff at your end of the turnpike. Let me know if you see anything that might be worth taking a look at down there.

cowwboy 10-07-2014 6:59 PM

Wilsons has some newer stuff and are amazing people. Whats your budget? E&R is a decent dealer. I got my bu from them. They used to not deal in wake boats much but guess that changed lately.

TMosely 10-08-2014 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowwboy (Post 1894874)
Wilsons has some newer stuff and are amazing people. Whats your budget? E&R is a decent dealer. I got my bu from them. They used to not deal in wake boats much but guess that changed lately.

I just checked out Wilson's... Have you had a chance to check out the Sunscape they have? My real concern with a boat is that it's less than 21' and 5" with the trailer folded so I can store it in my garage. Also, I'd like to stay under 20k until I determine if the rest of my family is as committed to a boat as I am.

cowwboy 10-08-2014 8:13 AM

Havnt had a chance to look at it. But I may stop by later.