WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Lifted golf carts? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807338)

bryce2320 02-01-2017 10:44 PM

Lifted golf carts?

I've been thinking about getting a golf cart. Something to run around the neighborhood at the lake and mess around on. Do any of you guys have lifted carts or experience with golf carts? Lets see some pics of them. Also deciding wether to go gas or electric? If I built one myself, I'd put lift, big rims and tires, rear bench seat that folds down, small stereo, canopy, etc. Or try to find one already built for 4-5k. Something similar to this. http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8g8btmkk.jpg

xstarrider 02-01-2017 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I say gas all the way. The amount you pay up front more is offset by the cost of
Batteries imo. Don't go too crazy with the lift. They end up driving like garbage and swaying everywhere

She ain't pretty , but she gets the job done. I have an old Thule "basket" mounted on the top to throw all my wet jackets and stuff in .

Attachment 42270

chpthril 02-02-2017 6:21 AM

If you do lift an big tires, just note that these mods will greatly effect an electric cart.

List really depends on how much you really want to lift and what size tires. Mild lifts can be done with a spindle drop kit. Big lifts are best done with a full suspension kit swap.

Need to budget for tunes also :cool:

DatTexasBoy 02-02-2017 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce2320 (Post 1952680)
I've been thinking about getting a golf cart. Something to run around the neighborhood at the lake and mess around on. Do any of you guys have lifted carts or experience with golf carts? Lets see some pics of them. Also deciding wether to go gas or electric? If I built one myself, I'd put lift, big rims and tires, rear bench seat that folds down, small stereo, canopy, etc. Or try to find one already built for 4-5k. Something similar to this. http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8g8btmkk.jpg

Bryce,

Let me know what you want and I can get you a smoking deal on one in Conroe. Call me sometime and we can talk.

philwsailz 02-02-2017 8:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two images of mine. One is when I first got it, and the other showing the upgraded seats I installed. This is a 6" lift if I recall right. The key to getting the sway out is keeping tire sidewalls short. Put another way big wheels. These are 12" wheels as I recall. Mine rides awesome.

I am electric, with custom controller and tall stack motor. The governer is deprogrammed, so the only limit to speed is available power, and downhill, even on a small slope I can make close to 30. I can also climb a 45-degree incline too... its a hoot off-road.

Built-in charger makes battery maintenance a snap. When parked I just plug into any 110 outlet. Left idle much of the winter it simply stays plugged in. I have my charger re-flashed for AGM batteries and the charger does the stuff it needs to periodically even when just sitting to keep the batteries fresh. It has been worth it in the AGM investment to have the charger able to provide the charge profile that maximizes the battery life.

I probably still agree that for your needs Bryce, the Gas car will be a better choice, as long as you use Sta-Bil, but I wanted to share a few details regarding mine to show you can do it electric.

BCPMike0663 02-02-2017 12:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is our cart. 27 miles and hours, RGB leds, stereo and fog machine. My boys love it and even better it was a 30th birthday gift for my wife.

iShredSAN 02-02-2017 1:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is not a golf cart but I use it for cruising the neighborhood etc like you plan and also for yard work, hunting, exploring etc. I picked this up used on CL and added the accessories (soundbar, removable rear seat, LEDs, etc). I have a buddy on here who will most likely chime in (Brett33) who has a lifted GC but is trying to sell to get a CanAm or Polaris side by side. Way more power and possible uses.. Just my 2 cents

LKASurfing 02-02-2017 1:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need it get it color matched to your boats though! lol

Had the Golf cart for years. been great.

BCPMike0663 02-02-2017 2:45 PM

Real quick note: mine is electric. My dad has one with a lift and it sucks going up hills. Mine is awesome and as stated 27MPH and takes hills like a champ

bryce2320 02-02-2017 2:52 PM

Those are some slick carts. Definitely going to do something with a stereo. Sounds like gas may be the way to go. I know you can add some performance parts to get more speed out of them. BCPMike, those leds are badass! Definitely envisioning something similar.

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:05 PM

Bryce: somthing to think about. Is your lake house in a private community? The reason I ask is because even in some private community's they consider Off Road vehicle's as anything with out a License plate. And they can target your golf cart, On one side of the lake I'm at the community is on public roads, many people drive or use golf carts. During the summer usually on big 3 Day weekends the CHP patrols my hood. They must get 5-10 people each weekend for various violations due to driving a golf cart. Everything from No seat belts to No california License plate, yea it's a real bummer most people have no Idea and even in a private community police can issues tickets like you were on the open road.

Gem & Think "NEV's " (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) are street legal fully legit licensed and can be insured and can be used just like a car to drive on roads 35 mph and below.

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my 4 Gem's

silverlude 02-02-2017 5:23 PM

Grant u crack me and I'm sure many of us up man. Slick ride man. Enjoy life is a good theme man.

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can get a clip in steak bed like this, or a clip in rear facing Jump seat, the rear trunk is one of a few options

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is #3

grant_west 02-02-2017 5:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Harolds clean machine!

bass10after 02-03-2017 1:10 AM

I have 4 lifted carts all electric one being a 9 seater and also a diesel mule 4010 that seats either 3 or 6 with a convertable bed. I like the carts because for the most part its plug and go and you just need to check the water levels. The long one has the turning radius of anything without a turning radius. The problem with batteries is when they are not maintained properly or get old they slow way down and will sometimes strand you unexpectedly. The diesel mule is bad ass. i've pulled trees out, pulled a trailer with about 6000lbs of steel stakes and haul 3-4 cut up walnut trees that kicked the bucket on the trailer regularly. The thing could pull my boat no problem. If you need anything but cruising look for something besides the carts. They're convenient as can be but one dimensional

snyder 02-03-2017 8:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's ours...
The back bench flips over for storage and has a "cooler" under the rear deck. I use quotes because there's no insulation for said cooler. so it's not very functional.

stanfield 02-03-2017 9:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use mine for it's intended purpose at my country club so I can't lift it.

cbarguy1 02-03-2017 1:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If your community allows, definitely look at sidexsides. We thought seriously about a lifted gold cart but they can get pretty pricey if done right. Instead we got a can am commander ltd. Its got adjustable air suspension, stereo, winch, full lights and is now street legal in WA state. Its a lot more fun than a golf cart and can do much much more. Since we got ours there has been an explosion in the population. Few people now are buying high end carts.

Plus you can do this with them.

stanfield 02-03-2017 1:23 PM

^^^ I agree, pricing for custom/lifted carts has gotten RIDICULOUS lately. Way way overpriced for the capability that you get, which is basically nothing besides carting you around a golf course or to your neighbors house. I too would look at side by sides if allowed and I own a golf cart.

grant_west 02-03-2017 3:55 PM

I also Agree golf carts and Gem cars are very expensive for what you get. Example you can buy a Nissan Leaf or Fiat 500 both all electric and have a range of 70 to 100 miles all electric for under 10k used.
Sideby sides. We had a Artic cat side by side , For our golf cart when we first started out. It had mixed reviews. First off it was not a pleasant ride vibration and not quiet. Only held 2 people and my mother wanted nothing to do wit it. Sorry but it's just not the same riding along super quiet and smooth of all electric. And no one seems to be turned off by a golf cart. Now if we were going off road then I agree the side by side is the ticket. But for cruzing the hood sorry but a side by side is the WORST thing you could end up with. Both of my Gems are Lithium and you don't have to worry about water levels or range. And I can smoke any gas powered golf cart. 40mph and Front wheel burn outs no problemLOL

VanillaGorilla 02-03-2017 6:13 PM

You can do a big lift and it'll drive great. You just need to do an A arm kit with adjustable suspension. Here's one of mine...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...beb9c3d912.jpg

scotthons 02-09-2017 8:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stanfield, I guess we are the only using them for the course. There are some seriously nice carts on this thread! I bought this '92 last year and have gotten many rounds in using her. She needed a little love, but it was a fun project.

cwb4me 02-09-2017 9:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my EZ Go.

grant_west 02-09-2017 8:07 PM

Bryce: since you started this thread. How is your quest going, terrain and the amount of people you were expecting to frequently haul around. Might be helpful, honestly becidse Golf I can't think of a lot of reasons why a golf cart would be better. Golf carts Do how ever have a few good points they have a better turning radius and the steering is lighter, they (when at normal height they are easier to slide in and out of. They are designed for you to get in and out of and zip from hole to Hole and I think they work great for that. If one of your uses for this would be for golf then I would say get a golf cart.

The Gem cars are more like a cross between a golf cart and a small car. Example you can take your Gem to the store, they have their own onboard charger so you can go some place and charge, and make it home. We often take our gem to town for dinner and charge while we eat dinner and have no problem going 25+ miles. Even with out recharging at dinner we can make it to town and back without re charging.

Not sure what insurance is like for a Golf cart. But for my Gem cars it's $75 a year threw Gico. They are also insured for 7k if they are stolen, for that $75 a year so IMO insurance is a good deal so why not have it. And for what it's worth I'm pretty sure resale is better in the Gems or and NEV then a golf cart. Let us know if you have any more details to help you

grant_west 02-09-2017 8:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No Bueno!

bryce2320 02-09-2017 10:28 PM

Grant, I'm still doing some research and trying to figure out what I want to do. I have a '99 jeep TJ for running around the lake and cruising into town. The reasons I'm thinking I want a golf cart
-They aren't as noisey for driving around the neighborhood at all hours of the night
-It's a lot less expensive to get 4 seats in a golf cart then a 4 seater side x side.
-I won't be doing any rough terrain or needing to go 45+ miles an hour
-I originally thought the golf cart would be way cheaper then a side x side. I assumed I could get a few year old cart for pretty cheap, under 1500 bucks but that isn't the case. They are damn near up there in price with an older plain side x side. So because I'm not in the mood (yet) to spend 6k on a cart, I'm going to hold out for a decent used one and do my own build for half the price. The parts are relatively inexpensive IMO. If a bargain never comes along, I may dump a little money into my jeep and put new rims and tires on it, stereo, bumpers, and rock sliders.

markj 02-09-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1953419)
No Bueno!

Holy cow! Shorts, cowboy boots, tattoos and a mullet. What a winner! ...and in a pink golf cart... must be a Trump supporter. Lol

bryce2320 02-10-2017 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markj (Post 1953435)
Holy cow! Shorts, cowboy boots, tattoos and a mullet. What a winner! ...and in a pink golf cart... must be a Trump supporter. Lol

Hopefully, that's my kind of girl!

brett33 02-13-2017 8:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my cart, it's for sale if you're interested! Located an hour south east of Dallas. Lift, wheels, tires, folding rear seat, stealth 10 sound bar, speed chip.. Like Connor said, I'm looking for a sxs now.

grant_west 02-13-2017 8:35 AM

^^^Bryce that cart has your name all over it. The bummer for you is it's gonna set you back some $cratch!

davez71 02-13-2017 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyder (Post 1952941)
Here's ours...
The back bench flips over for storage and has a "cooler" under the rear deck. I use quotes because there's no insulation for said cooler. so it's not very functional.

Great looking cart. What rims are those I have been trying to find these but don't know the make or model. Thanks

grant_west 02-13-2017 2:11 PM

Hey is it a optical illusion or something. The front wheels on the cart look like they're stuck out way further than the rear wheels what's going

kenv 02-17-2017 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2012 Club Car. 6 inch lift.

markj 02-17-2017 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryce2320 (Post 1953486)
Hopefully, that's my kind of girl!

Lol I was referring to the dude driving.

rpinto 02-18-2017 6:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would so go with gas if you can. I have a 2002 EZ Go TXT Gas cart that I picked up from a guy who was planning on upgrading and had bought all of the parts (diamond plating, seat covers, back seat kit etc..) but hadn't put them on. I have around 2500 in the cart and love it.

bryce2320 02-18-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenv (Post 1953938)
2012 Club Car. 6 inch lift.

Nice 300 D!

16igordon 02-18-2017 6:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bought it stock for $1200. Added a rear seat for $300, lights for $60, lift kit and tires for $600. Surprisingly powerful for a 36v electric, but would definitely spend the extra and get a gas one in the future. Looking to sell it now for a gator, ranger, etc.

grant_west 02-18-2017 7:27 PM

Becides Stanfields Bad a$$ black on black Cart why is everyone else's Golf cart squatting in the back? And that's with no one or anything in the back?

grant_west 02-18-2017 7:35 PM

I guess I'm super biased but I think that's because I know both Gem and Think cars Vs Golf carts but I can't understand why (becides price) and even that's debatable someone would want a Golf cart vs a Gem or Think Car over a golf cart.

cwb4me 02-19-2017 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1954004)
I guess I'm super biased but I think that's because I know both Gem and Think cars Vs Golf carts but I can't understand why (becides price) and even that's debatable someone would want a Golf cart vs a Gem or Think Car over a golf cart.

Like with any vehicle price is the main factor. You can buy a used Golf Cart for as little as 900 dollars . Most rebuilt Carts sell for 2 to 3000 for electric and 3500 to 4500 for gas.

grant_west 02-19-2017 12:40 PM

I see gem cars for $600 on Craig's list. Yes they need work but so does a $600 golf cart. My point is I don't think a fixed up golf cart are any cheaper then a Gem car. In fact I would say golf carts are equal in pricing if not more. I will say this I bet Re-Sale on gem cars is better then a golf cart.

kenv 02-19-2017 11:30 PM

Bryce....it's a buddy of mines. We had to hook it to the cart to fit it between some trees to weld a spot on the dock ramp. Bit heavy to roll manually. Also....Grant...my Club Car in that pic does not squat at all even with two on the back. Builder did extra heavy spring kit in the rear. Sits and rides pretty dang level.

grant_west 02-20-2017 3:39 AM

Ken : your cart is real nice. How much would you say one would have to pay to get one like yours

kenv 02-20-2017 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
G....that cart was built as a brand new Club Car in 2012. Builder did the stretch on an out of the box brand new regular Club Car gas. Also had it painted with Ford Blue Flame metallic...which is what was on the F150s and other cars. Total with all the accessories was about 15K. Would much rather have had a Polaris..but like others have said...a golf cart for us fit the bill better. We can drive around our neighborhoods at home and also everywhere in our coast town of Port Aransas in Texas. Can't do that in a UTV. They are super strict about them on the streets and beach. So...a crew Club Car has worked out great. It's a gas model with the Kawasaki engine.

grant_west 02-20-2017 9:34 PM

im sure most people here are saying 15k are you crazy. But that's what they cost. When I saw you cart I thought 17 so your are doing good:)

BCPMike0663 02-20-2017 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1954004)

Because the looks of a gem are not for everyone. I think the work you do is amazing but I just don't like the looks of the gem.

grant_west 02-21-2017 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
IMO Stanfield, Pound & Ken all have the best looking Golf carts. If Gem cars are not your cup of Tea, check out the Ford Think. They are more square and resemble the traditional shape of a golf cart. Both the Gem and the Think, are classified as NEV's (neighborhood electric vehicle) "street legal" with all the safety requirements for street use.

I snapped a few pictures of this "Tomberland" brand golf cart. These things Were Super nice. I say were because they are out of business :( They are so well built and ride awesome, it's to bad you can't still buy a new one and parts are hard to find. These Tomberland golf carts were converted to NEV status by Tomberland, and eligible for a 100% tax Right off (thanks Obama) you could go down to your local dealer and and pay 10k for one of these and get a 10k right off. My friend bought 2 of them.

grant_west 02-21-2017 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They came stock with safety glass, turn signals,seat belts,

kenv 02-21-2017 10:45 AM

Yep G. Could have been well North of 17 if I had done a custom wheel, upgraded stereo, and LED lighting. Stereo is enough but might add some LED's under the body or roof in the future. Kids love the bling lights....lol

stanfield 02-21-2017 10:52 AM

^^^Have several friends with those Tomberland carts from when I lived in CA. I had never seen them before or since living there. You're right, they're hands down the best cart ever made. I tried hard to find one used and still prowl CA craigslists prior to my trips back out there.

grant_west 02-21-2017 12:03 PM

I have a Buddy that has a Bad A$$ 4 seater Tomberland with a Lithium kit in it. He is in Minnesota. I'll see what he wants for it and get a picture

grant_west 02-21-2017 3:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stan: My Buddy that has the Tomberland says he wants 5k. It's got a Nissan Leaf Lithium battery pack in it 120 Amp hrs (that's a good size pack) and a BMS "battery monitor system" so it's good to go as far as charging and balancing. He is a Gem car guru and said he is willing to take the Lithium out and sell the car in stock form with flooded lead acid batterys for $3500. I would take it with the Lithium if it was me. And for what I know about it seems like a good deal.

snyder 02-22-2017 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davez71 (Post 1953645)
Great looking cart. What rims are those I have been trying to find these but don't know the make or model. Thanks

David, here's a link to the wheels on my cart. I bought it already lifted w/wheels etc. but these are the exact wheels.

http://www.performancepluscarts.com/...kage-set-of-4/

davez71 02-22-2017 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyder (Post 1954309)
David, here's a link to the wheels on my cart. I bought it already lifted w/wheels etc. but these are the exact wheels.

http://www.performancepluscarts.com/...kage-set-of-4/

Thank You

grant_west 02-22-2017 3:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I sold 2 Gem cars to Dustin at Innovation Motor Sports he dose Gem Car mods as a Full time business. Here is a B4 and after of 1 of the 2 cars I sold him

before

grant_west 02-22-2017 3:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After

grant_west 02-22-2017 3:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

bryce2320 02-22-2017 10:25 PM

The gems look sick all done up. But the price tag doesn't.

grant_west 02-23-2017 8:25 AM

Yes Exactly Just like Wake Machines! :) Bryce how are you with Tools? & Projects. Again I'm Bias but building your own set up is very fun. Golf cart or Gem car if you start from Scratch you can build pretty much what ever you want. And if money is a Issue. Doing it project style you can start with a smaller initial investment and then build the cart as your financial situation changes.

If I can offer any advice I would NOT have gone crazy like I did with my Blue gem. I over built that car and I created one more thing to be worried about! Don't get me wrong the thing is super fun & I have a huge smile driving it. I built the car to drive down to the water and leave while we are out on the boat all day. But When you fix somthing up and invest so much time and money you don't feel like just leaving anywhere. So I kind of defeated its Orignal purpose. If I had to do it All over again I would have got a real nice stock car in the 4-6k range that was mechanically solid and put some nice wheels on it and call it done. That way if it disappeared or got damaged no big deal. Right now GICO insures both Gems. The All white one is insured for 6k and I have full coverage for only $74 a year.

bryce2320 02-23-2017 4:30 PM

Grant, that's kind of the way I'm leaning. I built my entire house from ground up, but I hate working on vehicles. But a golf cart is different and I think it'd be a blast building one. I just hate to invest more in a cart that isn't street legal then I have in my '97 TJ that I can take anywhere. And I plan on not working this summer so I don't want to piss away 10 grand on something I don't necessarily need. I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cart, gem or golf, in the 2-3k range. I can add everything I want for a fraction of the cost, and I'm sure it's easy to do.

grant_west 02-23-2017 7:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I can tell you this. If you build somthing like a cart that you and your family enjoy and use it's worth every penny. If you can't or don't wanna drop 5-7k right now on a turn key set up then building a cart seems like a good Idea. Feel free to email me any potential (Gems) your looking at I can give you my 2c. Gem car season is right around the corner, try and pick one up Now. Because come summer time the Pickens are slim.
I just finished these 2 and they are already spoken for.

grant_west 03-14-2017 6:36 PM

Any progress?

Gotmods 03-14-2017 8:41 PM

My turbo rzr was 30k with the upgrades I chose. Golf cart was not even 3k. Bought it @ 900, no way I spent more than 2100 on upgrades. We dune so gas is a must, fill and go. Electricity is hard to come by. I have a generator but would rather not run it all night to charge a cart.