WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Board Sport Mentality (The Game of GNAR) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795458)

hawkeye7708 09-09-2012 10:16 AM

Board Sport Mentality (The Game of GNAR)

Hey everybody! I've been on this site for a handful of years and pretty consistently, in one form or another, discussions about the mentality and style of wakeboarding always seems to come up in one form or another. Most recently it's been with this WakeZeach thing. No, I'm not going into some long diatribe about what is style and what isn't. Quite honestly, my bag of tricks isn't deep enough and I don't make enough money where anybody in the industry would give a rip about my opinion on style. Heck, if they'd had a video online here, they're likely way better than me.

About a year ago, my friend had me watch this video made by a group of Free Skiers from Squaw Valley. It basically documents how they took the "Professional, Perfectionist, Finger Pointing" mentality and turned it on it's head. It really reminded me about why I do all of this to begin with. Sure, I love it when I can execute a trick how I want it, who doesn't? But at the end of the day, it's all about having a good time with your crew regardless of an accidental Tindy or Fashion Air (sometimes those happen to me and for the life of me can't figure out why).

Seriously, take a minute and check it out (It's more like an hour... picture it as an investment). You'll be in tears laughing, but I think it really makes a statement. And the game rocks. :)

http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

Raf1985 09-09-2012 11:25 AM

I made it through about 4 mins and tried to fast forward to the part with the wakeboarders but there isnt one. I dont like skiing at all, let alone on snow.....

Gnargnar 09-09-2012 11:32 AM

Perfect for a Sunday morning...hilarious

Bam6961 09-09-2012 12:29 PM

thanks for posting, that was pretty funny!

hawkeye7708 09-09-2012 2:22 PM

Haha, sorry for that Raf! Bummer you missed out on all the rest!

TheHebrewHammer 09-10-2012 7:38 AM

Ben, I'm not even halfway through the movie, but I like the idea. One thing I'll say about the style police in wakeboarding is that they are, almost without exception, internet tough guys. They don't spout their crap in real life because most of them suck at riding and even they realize that they would come off as pompous douchebags and wouldn't be taken seriously. I've never seen anyone hardcore hating on people's riding in person, and I'm really thankful for that because if that were to happen then a lot of people would be really turned off from wakeboarding.

hawkeye7708 09-10-2012 5:44 PM

Ha, it's just such a fun video and a great mentality with it. Some of the best at their craft and they don't take themselves too seriously. I love it. And I agree with you. Always comes out on the internet behind profile avatars haha

VinnyA 09-10-2012 7:01 PM

Great post!!

yjwrangler95 09-10-2012 7:58 PM

I agree it was worth the time to watch. There's nothing like having fun, I think everyone today is guilty of putting to much pressure on themselves from time to time. Awesome vid.

hawkeye7708 09-10-2012 8:09 PM

I wanna see somebody at a PWT stop bust out a Pro Call Out.... my god... that'd be hilarious. Hey Harley, I can't believe you're a pro! I'm way better than you!

SS_Hooke102 09-11-2012 1:28 PM

i want to see a bare naked at a pwt event, instant classic

brhanley 09-11-2012 1:38 PM

I think they touch on this in the movie (I've only seen bits and pieces), but Gnar was "invented" by the late, great Shane McConkey, and first published as an appendix to the book Squallywood by Robb Gaffney 10 years ago. More of a tribute than an innovation in this movie.

hawkeye7708 09-11-2012 4:38 PM

Professor, you're correct. It was created by Shane and the Gaffney's. It was definitely a tribute to Shane and his mentality. That said, a contest with an actual payout based on GNAR was definitely innovative haha

gene3x 09-12-2012 11:52 AM

That is awesome. I am amazed they had it together enough to make a movie. lol

That is exactly what wakeboarding needs to loosen up the serious factor. :D

jarrod 09-12-2012 1:38 PM

Awesome! I would love to see someone incorporate something like this into the pro tour. That way it would be on the radar for everyone to see. I would love to see a fashion backroll or something ridiculous. Lose points on every grab except for a nuke, crail, seatbelt, tailfish etc.... :-)

hawkeye7708 09-12-2012 7:00 PM

Gnome on top of the towe............ stopping there..... haha

xstarrider 09-12-2012 7:12 PM

whats great is that a few of my family are in the video. I am a south shore guy not one of the Valley beotches........ HHAHAHHAHAHA